R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Breaking in my engine

I purchased a new GO Tech. 7 port. And i heard this are bit harder to tune and break in but thats besides the point. I Have been researching some of the other more thoughrall ways to go about it. I am doing a full tank idle, next tank 25% throttle, 50, ect. Is this a good way to break in my new engine. Or what are some effective ways you more expirenced drivers break in your new mills. I have read about a bunch of ways and they seem tosay the opposite things. So help me out. thanks
QDAWGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

best way to breaking a engine is the heatcycle , wrap the head with aluminum foil to keep the motor warm in the process and bring the temps about 240deg
rich enough where you could see oil coming out the pipe , do this for about 2 tanks at idle , 3rd tank same process but without the alum foil , 4th tank lean hsn 1min or 2min and run the buggy around with small burps , 5th tank do the same but this time bigger burps to get the motor to bring the rpms up , 6th tank
lean the hsn 1min or 2min and continue with bigger burps as before , of course with cooling time in between , 7th tank lean the hsn some more a let it rip like it
is stolen and keep checking the temp between 200deg and 230deg
SAVOX SERVOS 1268MG HV , 1267MG HV
turboxrayt1fk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

follow their break-in instructions .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Agreed, do whatever the manual that comes with the engine says.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboxrayt1fk05 View Post
best way to breaking a engine is the heatcycle , wrap the head with aluminum foil to keep the motor warm in the process and bring the temps about 240deg
rich enough where you could see oil coming out the pipe , do this for about 2 tanks at idle , 3rd tank same process but without the alum foil , 4th tank lean hsn 1min or 2min and run the buggy around with small burps , 5th tank do the same but this time bigger burps to get the motor to bring the rpms up , 6th tank
lean the hsn 1min or 2min and continue with bigger burps as before , of course with cooling time in between , 7th tank lean the hsn some more a let it rip like it
is stolen and keep checking the temp between 200deg and 230deg
Yeah i was thinking about this one. And in the cooling process keep the piston on top. But on the other site it said to keep piston on bottom during cool down periods. What do you do with the piston, or doesnt it really matter as long as its cooling. I will also check the manual for break in instructions.
QDAWGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDAWGG View Post
Yeah i was thinking about this one. And in the cooling process keep the piston on top. But on the other site it said to keep piston on bottom during cool down periods. What do you do with the piston, or doesnt it really matter as long as its cooling. I will also check the manual for break in instructions.
its better to keep the piston on the bottom sense the pinch gets tider closer to the top and its easier to start again.
SAVOX SERVOS 1268MG HV , 1267MG HV
turboxrayt1fk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcboxer

I would read this before you break in your engine...
http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html
rcboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
follow their break-in instructions .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
Agreed, do whatever the manual that comes with the engine says.
+2

Follow your instructions. If your already asking questions about heat cycling then your not ready for it. If your going to try a new method on a brand new engine. You need to have someone experienced at it to help you. Other that follow the instructions or be left with a $200 paperweight.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:03 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDAWGG View Post
Keep the piston at the bottom not only after every shut down during break in but the rest of the engines life for best results. Do this as soon as you shut it off. Don't wait until it's cool. If you leave it at top and let it cool you could end up with the worst case that it gets stuck until you heat it up again or from what I have heard but don't know if I believe you can crack the sleeve. Don't take any chances. Big rules to engine longevity are clean air filter, leave piston at bottom, and run all of the fuel out and use after run oil.

Also use a heat gun or hair dryer until it's broken it to make it easier to start and to avoid un-necessary stress to your engine during break in
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The two things I've run into helping people with Go motors is first to take the break in very slowly. They use a very hard alloy for the piston and it takes a while to break in fully. Keep the head wrapped up for a while. Keep it rich and the temps in the mid 200's. I really would recommend keeping the head wrapped for the first 1/2 gallon. Then you can unwrap it and start leaning it out a little. Keep in mind, the carbs a more sensitive than others so make small adjustments to avoid going too far. Also when tuning, keep the top end a bit rich at first. Get it so it just breaks into a nice crisp sound at top end, then adjust the bottom so it doesn't load up when idling and you should be at a good starting point.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Listen to everyone who is telling you to follow Go-Tech's break in instructions!

There are many different engines and there is no such thing as 1 procedure that works for all of them. The people that make the engine, has designed the best break in process for their engines! Anyone who ignores the instructions and uses their own method is a fool, who will need to rebuild sooner than needed