Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8ight 2.0 vs 808 vs O'Donnell

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey buddy, i have not driven an 808, so i cant give you and comparison from my own experience. Ill bet a few guys on here have gone from the 8ight to an 808, and can give there experience.

I can tell you the 2.0 is better than an 8ight, having driven both cars myself.The 2.0 is more stable and just perform better overall.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyper7vspec
Just being honest mate, thats the truth, the cars wear out fast. Wasnt having a dig at losi in any way, i think they are a great car.

You can keep living in your fairyland if you like. Does not bother me.
???? Myself and many others have not had the wear issues you speak of . Telling me I`m dreaming and in fairyland is bullshit .

I hate to see what you guys think of the wear on a Hyper 8 , they wear a lot faster then the 8ight .

But then again , the wear might differ depending on how you drive it .
Old 10-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

briguy- sorry to burst your bubble but the eight is a piece of garbage?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Mate, no matter how much you say you dont have the issue's, Its a fact the losi's wear out fast.They dont wear slower in america and faster in australia, the car just wears.I know it from 2 years running the cars, everyone that i talk to that runs the 8ight knows it, except you that is...

But the people that run them dont mind, as i said its a great car and parts are cheap and are readily availiable, stop taking it personally.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hyper7vspec
Mate, no matter how much you say you dont have the issue's, Its a fact the losi's wear out fast.They dont wear slower in america and faster in australia, the car just wears.I know it from 2 years running the cars, everyone that i talk to that runs the 8ight knows it, except you that is...

But the people that run them dont mind, as i said its a great car and parts are cheap and are readily availiable, stop taking it personally.
Whatever , I`ve had mine just as long and no issues like you say . So you can say whatever you want . I know from running it and from all the other racers that race them where I race . I`ve only replaced the axles and bearings once in two years , but yet you seem to think I`m lying .
Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Yes i ran them for 2 years, but i had 3 or 4 new kits in that time, and i am extremely meticulous when it comes to my cars, i try to have them as perfect as i can for every meet. I must race and practice a lot more than you. because 2 years dont mean nothing, hell you could have done 2 meetings in 2 years and the car would feel new

but anyway you can contine saying whatever you like, i was just trying to help the original poster make up his mind by letting him know what i have experienced.

cheers

ps I do reccomend losi cars, they are fantastic cars, i am not having a dig at all, There are pros and cons to everything, i was giving ONE con and a heap of Pros for the 8ight.

I wouldnt get mad if you said the mugen is a heavy car, im not dillusional i know the thing is a tank hahaha
Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have driven losis for last 1 and a half years. The parts i had to replace often was the clutch shoes ,springs...also the bulkheads and diff cases..

I have just purchased a 808 so will be good to see if the parts last longer on it..
Old 10-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

for what its worth, I ran an 8ight when the fist came out..car is very fast and jumps great, and other then the throttle linkage being a pita to get perfect (it needs to be perfect!), it was a very good car...BUT, like noted above, the car does wear faster then others (xray, kyosho, mugen). The 8ight is very durable though..I only busted something on it one time (front arm and bulkhead on a wicked collision with a piece of rebar sticking up). It is a very tough car, but it does wear...I ran an xray after the 8ight and the wear on the outdrives, cvd's etc on the xray is nothing like the 8ight..but, parts are easier to get for the 8ight and they are cheap (the same cannot be said for xray...) My Kyosho I run now shows much less wear then the 8ight did also
Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Hyper , I raced almost every weekend .
Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

I have to say that the Losi car does not wear out as fast as you guys say it does. Being a sponsored driver, I run at least twice a week. I had a kit from November of last year up to September of this year without replacing any parts except for the center front drive shaft, shock o-rings, shock boots, and diff seals/oil. I really would like to know how you guys are wearing the car out so quickly. I guess everyone has their own opinion about when a part is worn out?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Clint Wachter
I have to say that the Losi car does not wear out as fast as you guys say it does. Being a sponsored driver, I run at least twice a week. I had a kit from November of last year up to September of this year without replacing any parts except for the center front drive shaft, shock o-rings, shock boots, and diff seals/oil. I really would like to know how you guys are wearing the car out so quickly. I guess everyone has their own opinion about when a part is worn out?

center drive shafts, outdrives, and cvd's - I was replacing mine after abot 3 gallons...after 5-6 gallons on my xray, I had much less wear (the hudy Spring Steel is much stronger)...as well as the kyosho drive parts...I have about 3 gallons on mine and they look brand new...almost 0 wear..I am not knocking the losi...good car for the right driver and very fast, but in my experience, they do wear out faster then others (but, parts are much cheaper, so there is a tradeoff) and they get very loose and sloppy quickly..my xray had very little play in the hubs, front end, etc after 5-6 gallons whereas my Losi was all clapped out and loose...maybe that is
why the Losi's are so fast??
Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Hey clint, the car just wore quickly, i have no explanation for it there is nothing out of the ordinary that i did to it to warrant extra wear. I run as frequently as you, and maintain my car well. When the driveshafts and outdrivers start flopping around thats my perception as "worn", but i guess everyone has a different opinion on when a part is on its last legs.

Nice job at worlds BTW, i was rooting for ya man, shame about the rollover on the sandbox exit, or else you had that race in the bag.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jakeg1999
I am having to make the exact same decision. I am trying to decide between the 2.0 and the 808 myself. I hear nothing but good things about the 808, but my local hobby shops stock Losi parts. However I know I can just order parts online which is fine. I am still very new to the racing scene and I have a fairly new 8ight right now and I have been looking to do some upgrades on it, but have decide it will be better for me to just get a new kit, hence my current situation. I know the 2.0 is not out yet, so it's pretty hard to compare, but I am looking for a great performing buggy that's easy to work on and can take a beating. Plus the 808 can be found now for less than the 2.0 is going to be. I would like to hear some opinions of folks who have had the current 8ight and the 808. Also does the 808 need any upgrades to really help performance? I know I am very new to all this, and I know practice is what's most important but if I can get a car that is easier to drive and can take a beating then it will make my learning process that much better.
You can pick up 5Rs on ebay with a bucket of spares for about 250+ship right now...unfrigginbreakable super durable and easy to drive .very forgiving on set up too. +1.5 toe out and they will turn on a dime. The bottom of chassis will tell you about how much use they had. Put in the very best servos and motor with what you save. Run it like you stole it.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Briguy
I guess a lot of people are "dreaming" according to you .
I am with Vspec here minus the attitude, I am sorry but the Losi gets sloppy rather quickly. It does not hinder the performance or wear out and is more an annoyance but the ball cups and Ackerman plate develop slop very quickly.

Don't get me wrong the Losi is tough as nails but the ball cups slop out...
Old 10-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Ive driven all 3 cars.. the 808 has lots of traction to it and part quality is little better then losi. it steers very well jumps okay goes through woop sections decent parts are kinda hard to get some times but i have never broken anything on the 808 i had..

As for Losi its prolly one of my favorite cars it does wear cvas,drive shafts,axles stuff like that pretty fast.. it steers better then the 808 and jumps better as well.. losi also has tons of side traction like the 808 but i think the 808 may have more forward traction then the losi. parts are easy to get for losi to.

for the OD buggy.. TONS OF entry steering more then both cars above but from my testing the car has a slight center corner 4 wheel drift and when u step on gas hard the rear will kick around.. i only ran about half gallon on it so did get to do tons of testing like i did with losi and 808.. But i can say the quality is Better then 808 and losi. really nice product.

I say the 2.0 will be a great car and i know for sure it will wear less as that was one of losi's main goals THEY LISTEN TO US.. Id for one buy the 2.0 out of these cars good luck as there all good cars..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.