Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which glow plugs and fuel for MATRIX rtr Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Which glow plugs and fuel for MATRIX rtr Buggy

I just bought a matrix rtr buggy with the SH28. What would be a good glow plug to run in it? Do i need to use a different one for running it in? I was told a Mccoy #8 by the ebay store i bought it from.
Which fuel should i be using for break in and then after that?
My mate has a Hyper 7 with a Mac 28 engine, apparently this motor does 38000 rpm and the SH does 28000. Surely he is gunna smoke me for speed, i think they are both sport motors so why is there such a difference in RPM. I have read in many places that as far as rtr motors go the SH is very fast and reliable. Hope the Mac isn't faster! Any thoughts?

Last edited by milka5; 10-08-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

The Mccoy #8 plug will do fine..those are the ones I run.
As for specs, NEVER trust them. When you see HP or rpms or torque, don't believe it for a second. I highly doubt the Mach reaches 38000 rpm. Most $500+ .21 ON Road engines only hit those rpms.
the only way to really see it an engine is fast it to see it run, or rather run it yourself. Have fun with your new Matrix.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

chrobar, have you ever driven a matrix? there incredibly fast and reliable.

use a cold plug in summer and spring (os plug number A5), and a hot plug in winter and fall (#8) TURBO PLUGS DONT WORK dont use them unless you have a turbo head button, wich they dont make for that engine and thats totally fine you dont need it

look only on the left side of this page "surface"

http://osengines.com/accys/glowplugs.html
Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes pinky, I have driven the matrix truggy and buggy. I own both, and the included SH engine is awesome. The SH .28 has been a great engine for me..I'm in no way saying it's a bad engine..IMO one of the best for an RTR. Mine's still running strong after 7 gallons and dirt ingestion. As I said, I run a Mccoy #8 plug, and I honestly only went through one glow plug on my engine...I'm on the second one now, after, that's right, 7 gallons! It's easy to tune, reliable, and has decent power.
But let's not go exaggerating the truth saying the engine is super fast. I've seen fast engines..SH .28 is not even close. There is no comparison to a race tuned, high quality, high revving engine that costs upwards of $400, to a sub $150 RTR engine. No RTR engine compares to a race bred engine..
Anyway, the engine is a powerhouse for a buggy, not to mention a beginner driver. I only ran it in the truggy, but it does run well. I have no complaints about it whatsoever.
Back to the topic..the plugs listed should run well. As for fuel, I always ran Byrons 20%-30% through the engine. It always ran like a champ on both fuels, but I think 30% runs better. However, with the fuel prices so high, just go ahead and get 20%, or lower even. It will run on any fuel, so just go for low price if you'll just be playing around. Even as a racer, I'm considering going to a lower nitro % because of cost..I still have a gallon of RACE 2 30% to burn though.
Good luck and have fun!
Tom