Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS Speed vs. The new Ninja JX21

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Questions?? OS Speed vs. The new Ninja JX21

I've been running the OS speed for trophy racing and bigger races with great results,... but I got walked on by that JX21 motor on Saturday.

Anyone else running that motor? My speed was running 230-240 and I still got beat out of the corners and on the top end. I'm just amazed that a $330 motor can walk on a $500 OS Speed thats tuned nicely. Has anyone ran both, that can attest to the power band and drivability of the new JX21? I'm thinking this is my next motor if I hear that it has smooth torque like the speed.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by CarCrazy; 10-06-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My question to you is whether or not the JX was getting similar run times as the speed.

...i have heard that Amezcua was getting 13-14 minutes out of his at the WC (he said it in an interview with CarAction i believe).

Last edited by Crim3Wav3; 10-06-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

Nice.... LOL!

Dork....
Old 10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Real feedback on the JX21 would be cool..

Thanks guys.

14min run time.... hmm sounds suspect to bullsh!t factor.

Also I'm not worried about runtime we run 5-7 min quals at most racing around here.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks CarCrazy...

But seriously, i have purchased, but have yet to install/break-in a JX.

I have run to about 5 gallons a JP Mod V-Spec, most recently in the 808, and have gotten at best 7:30 on a wide open, very high traction track. I am curious as to what the JX could do on the same layout. A good comparison is what I'm after too...
Old 10-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

The funny thing was when Drake and I went down the straight my Speed pulled on his GRP motor,.. so it was tuned well, but that dang JX21 would pull both of us easily. The JX21 was in a Mugen MBX6. Our track is loose most of the time so wheel spin is up, and run time is down, however I always get 9 min on my speed even when punched. How much did you pay for your JX21?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

carcrazy get the new ninja i brought scott a. in right about 7 mins both times i have pitted him this weekend and last ,runs good temps at 220 like speed and alot cheeper lol ...werent you running that rb 6 this weekend or wheres your ported and polished speed at that thing was fast or better yet drive mine and then youll notice power thats just little modded no port n polished just ask dave w. who walks past him on the straight at revs lol but remember its all about carrieng corner speed in the infield only rev has two straight aways where you can actualy use the top end power so find yourself a smooth power band motor instead of the fastest down the straight ???
Old 10-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

the JX-21 is an awesome motor, I have run 5 gallons through mine with no decline in anything as far as pinch or compression. the main problem with the motor is for alot of tracks out where I am..(midwest) they arent big enough for this thing. if run at 220-230 you can get a good 7.5 minutes of runtime with more power than you will ever need. but if you run where they recommend at 250-260 you can get 10-11 minutes as I have before but cant hang on to it. Its got a TON of power. I still dont think that it is as smooth as the speed. it feels alot like a v spec but more power. the crank is coated and the sleeve is modded right out of the package. Its a good motor and definitly worth a try.
hope this helps
MO
Old 10-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

dont know about the speed but the jx is smoother than the jp mod v spec and has more top end. cant say if its better than the speed, but for $200 less its a very good motor thats worth a try!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by C.Poh
carcrazy get the new ninja i brought scott a. in right about 7 mins both times i have pitted him this weekend and last ,runs good temps at 220 like speed and alot cheeper lol ...werent you running that rb 6 this weekend or wheres your ported and polished speed at that thing was fast or better yet drive mine and then youll notice power thats just little modded no port n polished just ask dave w. who walks past him on the straight at revs lol but remember its all about carrieng corner speed in the infield only rev has two straight aways where you can actualy use the top end power so find yourself a smooth power band motor instead of the fastest down the straight ???
I had the RB head on my speed trying to keep temps down and performance up. I sold my ported speed, big mistake,... that thing would have kept up.

Hey you did a great job hangin with Drake on Saturday,.. nice! Obviously your motor was on par, thats the new modded Trinity right?
Anyways, ya I'm working on bettering my corner speed,.. every time I run I get a bit quicker in the corners. But I cant have you guys walking me on the straight,... I need all the help I can get. LOL! Their was only two privateers in the A-main and I was one of them, so I'm just happy to be runnin with the big namer's.. I feel like I could have finished 3rd or 4th instead of 5th because I pit 3 times with a fuel bottle (slow), when everyone else pit twice with fuel guns...LOL. On my last splash I went down two positions. ..and it turns out I didn't even need it! O'well I'll step it up this weekend.

Hmmm,... I might have to port my speed for this weekend until I can get a JX..
Old 10-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

CarCrazy,

I payed 280$ for it from.....wait for it....

www.tiltedrc.com

...but that was when they were running one of their "super sales"
Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

I've been running a JX now for about a gallon of fuel, both in my 808 and my X2 truggy. One thing I can say for sure is that the motor is insanely quick, its got so much bottom end that even in the X2 I can clear jumps with the shortest of run up, then there is the top end which is simply insane, coming down the straight everytime you expect the rod to come flying through the side - It just revs THAT much, no other motor sounds as quick than the JX21. Then there is the typical OS attributes, the best motor reliability and the easiest tuning of any engine. I can't comment too much on economy, but in my X2 with a JP3 I can get 11 minutes I feel, but easily 10 minutes which is all you need, all this at a temp of 215F.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

ooo i see... thanks c.crazy it felt good to not get lapped by mr.drake, that front little hick up on the front straight costed me twice and let drake pull that lead on me were getting their we just have to keep running more n more.. so rc pro series this weekend now we have to battle cody king and lutz for that money lol damn its like running a national every weekend out here so get that motor already lol ...

and yeah i run the fully modded ex-tech and i was one of those to only pit twice, 25 min main and pitted twice it felt good knowing i could go that distance, come Nitro Challenge and races like that the qualifiers are usualy 10 min so being able to go the full 10+ is very very nice,,,the gun is really nice too it tells you how much cc's you use every pit stop but if you dont have a pit man who knows what to look at your screwed you know ...
Old 10-06-2008, 04:15 PM
AE

Port the Speed and let me know how that goes!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have run OS Speeds for a long time and this weekend past i broke in a brand new Ninja JX, I have run almost 3 litres through it. The idle tune is a litte touchy at the moment, i put this down to the fact that its richening every run because its not broken in yet, but it is settling down.The motor is very quick, with an OS2060 pipe its deceptively quiet but has massive power.I was getting around 11:30-12:30 out of my Speed with a 6mm restrictor. The JX is allready getting almost 10 mins with a 7mm restrictor. Like someone allready said the JX is not as smooth as the Speed, it has more raw power and on track feels inbetween a stock vspec and a speed as far as smooth power delivery, at the moment my JX is as fast as my speed, but seems to rev out harder, and just keeps pulling. Both motors are Fantastic and like usual i cannot fault an OS based motor, I get great lifetime, runtime, power and the biggest thing i look for......reliability.

So far i think the JX is better than the speed purely because it is cheaper to buy, similar performance and as reliable but 1 bill cheaper, cant beat that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.