R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default NEW to 1/8 Scale: Looking to Buy First Truggy

I'm new to the 1/8 scale truggy scene, but I have some experience with 1/10 scale RC buggies. I'm looking to purchase my first Truggy to possibly race in the future. I am wondering which Truggy besides a Losi or a Kyosho (too much $) would be a good purchase. Budget is a concern!

What information do any of you have on the CEN Matrix Arena truggy kits? I have thought about buying an RTR, but every post I read seems to steer people away from RTR kits if you plan on racing.
CAMB7594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

look on the for sale threads...there are alot of truggies...i personally have a 8t rtr and it runs pretty close to the kits with $300 + motors...just upgrade the servos and you will be close enough to race up front!!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I believe rtr's are good to start with also. Gives you a platform to start with and an engine that won't make you cry if/when you kill it learning to tune. I'd rather see somebody toast a losi mach engine than be talked into a 280$ vspec and toast it within two gallons..

Also while you are learning to drive and tune it, you can be saving some coin for servos which should be your first upgrade, as well as a starterbox setup.

Good luck. If you have the money then a kit and your chosen electronics/engine/pipe is good way to go. If you are on a budget and want to get rolling on the learning curve then don't let anybody tell you there is anything wrong with an rtr.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

losi 8ight-T RTR. Its a good RTR, I dont think I exactly like the truck, but the RTR set up as far as radio and motor is pretty good. I dont like the way the truck handles, but maybe its just my dads set up he put on it. IDK.

But for seeing if its what you like and having fun driving, get one. There loads of fun...
Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the input!!!

Do Losi's hold there resale value well?
CAMB7594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Tech Master

Sadly, not really. You can maybe get 250- 300 for a used 8ight truggy now. MAYBE. Check the For Sale/ Trade area. You can get a good idea what there going for there. Im not real sure.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would stay away from used, unless you know the seller, and they are local to you. Allot of people sell there nightmares with broken parts, bad servo's, blown engines, etc. U never know what you are getting, spend the extra $200 and buy new, or make sure you are buying from a reputable, local person, whose butt you can kick if something is not as claimed
Old 10-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Caster K8T RTR is actually a really good platform to start out on even if you are going to race. Unlike most other RTR's including higher priced ones, the K8T RTR comes with 4mm CNC machined aluminum shock towers and CNC Chassis already. NOT cheaper thin pressed aluminum. Only thing on the RTR (chassis wise) you would upgrade are the rear axles and center driveshafts for racing. Most other RTR's you have to replace shock towers, ALL axles and driveshafts, knuckles, chassis etc. Buy it as a RTR and get used to it then if you are ready to start racing, change out servos, pipe and motor, tires (which you will do with any RTR you have to buy abd with any kit anyways), spend just a LITTLE $$ on axles and driveshafts and go out and race. Truck is very tough and durable and steers awesome.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the last buggy I bought was used (i know u said truggy)- and after seeing the money i have spent on it i wish i would have bought new. theres soo much that can be wrong that pictures cannot show- you can have bad bearings that can trash other components, gears, servos, the list goes on. save your cash and buy new, you know everything is good. if you can get a good enough deal and you do buy used, take the time to dissasemble and go over EVERYTHING- locktite is your best friend!
xyzyx00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Tech Addict

2 MBX5T prospec both with BCE chassis both in great cond.

Truck #1
bce chassis 1.5 gallons(always ran W/DE skidplate)
Mugen light weight pillow balls
Fioroni lightweight drive shaft axles F/R
Fioroni lightweight center Cvd Couplers F/R
thunder tiger brakes
Buggy hubs
Xtra arms front/rear
Crime fighter LPR/J concept half ups 60% tread
custom painted body good cond
48T spur
*$400.00*

Truck #2
BCE chassis 2gallons(always ran w/DE skidplate)
Xtra arms Front/rear
wings
misc parts
new red springs F/R
Xtra sway bars
Holeshots LPR/Proline rims 90% tread
*350.00*

Ninja BO1
TKO ceramics
2.5 gallons
runs great
*150.00*

MRT Ninja (Mag Head)
TKO ceramics
4 Gallons
runs great
*250.00*
Everything was well taken care of!
*all pricing is without shipping*
email is danrg3000@yahoo.com
dannyg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I seen some thunder tigers at local track i was impressed and the way these guys and kids were crashing them ...the're fast ,agile and tough.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

The new Jammin X2 is a great truck. I have the X1, and the X2 is a pretty big improvement... not that the X1 is lacking.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

I've noticed that alot of people say to buy a junk RTR kit or a crappy vechicle because they think you will save money. But if you really wanna race here are the top 5. ( DO ) vehicles to go for.

1. Xray XT8
2. Mugen Mbx 5t
3. Losi 8ight
4. Rc8t
5. Kyosho RR
* Also the X2 is ok... But never trust ofna D: *
Here are the ( DONT ) vehicles.

1. Caster racing (YUCK)
2. Hellfire (yeehaw)
3. LSP (wtF?!)
4. Tamiya ()
5. A savage >_>
Team hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team hawk View Post
I've noticed that alot of people say to buy a junk RTR kit or a crappy vechicle because they think you will save money. But if you really wanna race here are the top 5. ( DO ) vehicles to go for.

1. Xray XT8
2. Mugen Mbx 5t
3. Losi 8ight
4. Rc8t
5. Kyosho RR
lol you could just about put those in any order, it's about preference. The XT8 is great, the Mugen is rock solid, the Losi is really agile, but be prepared to replace the rear ring and pinion and bulkead frequently, the RC8 looks good but haven't seen much of it yet, the Kyosho is a great truck but $$$$$$$$$$ and the Jammin is a great truck.

As for not trusting OFNA... they're just the importer. They probably import more than anyone... but yes, some of it is absolute crap, and some of it is good stuff. The Jammin stuff is ALL good. The Hyper stuff is decent also. The rest... welll... there's a market for cheap entry level stuff that isn't raceworthy.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team hawk View Post

1. Xray XT8
2. Mugen Mbx 5t
3. Losi 8ight
4. Rc8t
5. Kyosho RR
Here are the ( DONT ) vehicles.

1. Caster racing (YUCK)
2. Hellfire (yeehaw)
3. LSP (wtF?!)
4. Tamiya ()
5. A savage >_>

Why would you say "yuck" to Caster Racing? Have you seen the new ones? Have you driven one? If you are speaking of experience from 2006-2007, then you would be correct, but they are revamped now....and for the price, they are a great value.

I pray for the phone call from a magazine for a shootout.....
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote