Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RB questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

Wow. $60 conrods!
I'm sick of spending $30 here, $20 there on parts for crap engines. I was hoping that spending the money would be worth it. Sounds like from everything I read it will be. I'd rather spend twice my old budget and get a engine that will last more than twice the life of a poorly made cheap one. If I have to buy 2 engines and replace internals in the mean time to get through the same amount of run time as one that was more expensive but never has to be heavily maintained I'll be way ahead in the long run. And SO much happier to boot. I've just got to overcome my paranoia of expecting things going wrong sooner than expected and remember to inspect the engine inside regularly. I've learned a few things the hard way that I never discovered by reading forums - I was too busy outside bashing. I guess the information was there for me but secrets to longevity and preventing failure is not covered in the magazines I used to read. They only cover tuning and replacing stuff. Now that I am racing, things wear quicker and I need to learn the finer details of total maintenance. This past season has been very beneficial for me and I think I finally know enough to keep myself going for a long time.
vladconnery - Thanks for all of the tips.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

seral guys I run with run the JP series exhaust as do I, never had any issues I run the JP-4 on my XT8 with a ws7x3 LG2 and the truck is a animal!...I run a AE 2035 on my rc8 buggy with a c6bb7t and have no issues eighter also have a 5.5 restrictor in it and its just a beat all the way from idle to the end of the straight. I was thinking of pickign up a pair od RB pipes but jeeze if they will unleash more power then I dont want them lol
Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Allumina
Haha yeah I cant get registered on the RB forums either, no biggie.

and +1 on the JP pipes, they dont work well on the RB motors, Rody even says so ont he RB forums, get an RB or a novarossi pipe, the motor really comes alive
I've got a Rex 9886. Isn't that related to Novarossi somewhere "back in the day?" Is there someway I can measure the length of my manifold and determine if it is considered short or long?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

+1, My s7 l2g runs best around 240. But remember If you run the l2g engines they are gonna temp a little more since the head is shorter than other engines. Only problem I have had in mine is the bearings. I did have to replace my front bearing at about a gallon and a half. it was leaking bad. I put a tko ceramic in it and it fixed it for a very short time. It is leaking again but I havent noticed any performacne loss. My biggest suggestion is when breaking in the engine use a heat gun to heat it. My s7 l2g was very, very tight. All in all Im really happy with the engine. Never flames out and after 3 gallons it is still tight
Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry for the delay, busy working, I use Cool Power 50% castor 50% synth. from Morgan fuels, I have yet to kill an engine from lean failure, yes I have to run a higher motor to keep up on the track (C5's C6's) but no one this motors are so powerfull, that adding oil to the fuel taims the motor, makes them more friendly to use, they last forever, because when your pinch is low the amount of oil in the fuel actualy makes up for it, and a C6 will last a full race season, not to mention you can lean it out without being afraid, if the need comes..................
Old 10-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Tech Regular

I startet nitro-racing about 5 years ago, having a history in electric r/c of app. 15 years though.
A buddy of mine is a pro-racer and he made me try nitro - i'm so glad, he did!
From the beginning, I've been using RB engines an i love 'em! Absolutely reliable, plenty of power (always been running the WS7 line of engines) and reasonable fuel consumption. Tuning those engines is not s hard as i have seen on a lot of other engines, you don't have to be a graduated engineer.
From time to time i get interested in engines of different brands, but i always end up with an RB again. Simply because they work as they should!

Just my 2ct
(and NO - i don't get these engines from my buddy, mentioned above - i buy them!)
Old 10-08-2008, 04:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
Sorry for the delay, busy working, I use Cool Power 50% castor 50% synth. from Morgan fuels, I have yet to kill an engine from lean failure, yes I have to run a higher motor to keep up on the track (C5's C6's) but no one this motors are so powerfull, that adding oil to the fuel taims the motor, makes them more friendly to use, they last forever, because when your pinch is low the amount of oil in the fuel actualy makes up for it, and a C6 will last a full race season, not to mention you can lean it out without being afraid, if the need comes..................
That's cool. I'm normally very busy too but with nothing to do at work here I'm a slave to my e-mail notifications Thanks for the tip - I'm off to see where it's available and some info on it. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Semple
My registration on their forums was denied for some reason. I still bought a WS7 L2G and it's a monster. Avoid the use of Jammin pipes, my JP-3 had my engine at 260-270 while idling during break in.
I went ahead and registered since I plan on hanging out there more over the winter and can ask any more questions I think of. It took two days to get approved but I'm in. I wonder if they really even check anything? They only get your e-mail address bascially as personal info. Kind of strange