R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Spektrum DSM Pro or Spektrum DSM HRS for my RC8?

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a 3pk for my RC8, but I'm not quite sure which Spektrum module to go with. I am avoiding the FASST modules since I have heard so many issues with them. What's the main difference with the Spektrum DSM Pro and DSM HRS? I read something about HRS only works with digital servos. I have two ACE 1015 servos, but I also have a couple airtronics 94358's. Which Spektrum system do you guys recommend I purchase? Is there a big speed difference with the HRS and the PRO? I would most likely prefer the version that will allow me to use the module with both sets of servos in case one goes bad. Don't wanna really be limited to one thing. Any help would be appreciated. I'm confused.

Last edited by TC4 Rider; 10-02-2008 at 12:17 PM.
TC4 Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I am going through the same situation and can shed a little light on your questions. If you buy the spektrum pro setup you can only operate in pcm or ppm (not for sure which mode) and not hrs. If you want to operate in hrs for the quickest possible response then the spektrum hrs kit is your only option, on the same not this kit only operates in hrs which is intended for digital servos only. It is not that you physically cannot run analog servos in hrs but supposedly they will be short lived if you do so. Something else to consider, if you go spektrum hrs you have only 1 receiver you can buy. The hrs module has its own dedicated receiver. With the spektrum pro you have more choices such as the option micro receivers. I run my 3pk with 75 mhz in hrs and love it but would like to go 2.4 again. I had the fasst system which was awesome until it started the shut down crap so I went back to 75mhz. I swear going 2.4 was the best upgrade I did since a personal transponder and want to purchase it again but I like the hrs mode and dont know how the spektrum will compare. Let me know what you think once you make a decision.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for your quick reply. It was really informative, and I was able to make a quick executive decision based off it! I went with the 3pks black with DSM pro for the reasons you stated being that the non-digital servos won't last as long, and I want to be able to use the 3500 micro receiver. I also read that the HRS doesn't allow you to use more than two channels. Not that it matters for my use, but I always like to have available options cause you never know. Found a deal on ebay and was able to get $100 off with 30% cash back that Microsoft live search is offering. PM me if you want details and I can tell you where to go for it if you plan on getting one soon too. Thanks man.
TC4 Rider is offline   Reply With Quote