Wiki Posts
Search

The JP-3 pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default The JP-3 pipe question

I've been searching for the answers and thought I would get some views and opinions from you racers. I have a JP-3 pipe on the OS VZ-B V-Spec and it runs well. I was cleaning it up after a race and took a look down the inlet of the pipe and found that mine has no chambers. Is that right? I've never owned a JP pipe this being my first, I'm not sure how it's claim to be a 3 chamber.

Can someone explain?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Poke around in there with a coat hanger and see if you hit anything..

If it didn't have the parts it's supposed to you would hear a difference between it and any other jp3.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Three chamber refers to the three different sizes of the pipe, if you notice it is tapered from the header to the stinger, that is what they mean by 3 chamber, the inside of the pipe is empty. I thought it was very strange also, since it has no interior baffle system, but that is the way its made, and nothing wrong with your pipe.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Three chamber refers to the three different sizes of the pipe, if you notice it is tapered from the header to the stinger, that is what they mean by 3 chamber, the inside of the pipe is empty. I thought it was very strange also, since it has no interior baffle system, but that is the way its made, and nothing wrong with your pipe.
Uhm, not quite. A three chamber pipe is three chambers.

Chamber 1. The divergent and convergent cones. This would be the expanding cone the exhaust first enters and then into the convergent cone (often has little oil drain holes drilled into it, shine a flashlight down in there and you can see it).

Chamber 2. This is basically a can shaped cap that goes over the end of the pipe. The hole in the middle of the convergent cone empties into it. There is a hole in the side of this cap where the stinger is attached to form the outlet. In a two chamber pipe this would be it.

Chamber 3. This is basically just a big washer that is welded over the end of the convergent cone and inside the end cap. It blocks all the exhaust gas (and sound) from even getting to the stinger except it has a small flat spot on one side to let the gas escape and as such forms a third chamber within the pipe. You will not see it without cutting open the pipe.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wingracer
Uhm, not quite. A three chamber pipe is three chambers.

Chamber 1. The divergent and convergent cones. This would be the expanding cone the exhaust first enters and then into the convergent cone (often has little oil drain holes drilled into it, shine a flashlight down in there and you can see it).

Chamber 2. This is basically a can shaped cap that goes over the end of the pipe. The hole in the middle of the convergent cone empties into it. There is a hole in the side of this cap where the stinger is attached to form the outlet. In a two chamber pipe this would be it.

Chamber 3. This is basically just a big washer that is welded over the end of the convergent cone and inside the end cap. It blocks all the exhaust gas (and sound) from even getting to the stinger except it has a small flat spot on one side to let the gas escape and as such forms a third chamber within the pipe. You will not see it without cutting open the pipe.

Ok well said, lol proving I have no clue what I'm talking about, however the fact remains that these pipes have nothing inside them, so if they are being described as 3 chambers, that's a flat out lie, because they are hollow inside, so it should read no chamber pipe, I was using reasonable deductions, and apparently I was way off base. thanks for the lesson! Jaz
Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Lord

If there really is nothing inside of it it would be a 1 chamber pipe. If you have ever seen the pipe the AE RC10GT came with (and some other 1/10th AE stuff) that is a 1 chamber pipe. I haven't seen a JP-3 up close so I don't know what it is. I will take a look at a JP-1 I have when I get home.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Lord

Ok, I just looked at a JP-1 and it is definitely at least a two chamber. I can't tell if the washer looking baffle is in there or not to make it a three chamber. I'd have to slice it open to tell.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Lord

Go here and scroll down a bit for diagrams of pipes.

http://www.efra.ws/pdf/handb08_homologation.pdf

As you can see from the drawings, if you look into the pipe all you will see is the end where the mount is. That end is chamber 2. Chamber three is after that and invisible.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

JP 1 and 2 are two chamber pipes, the 3 is a 3 chamber.

JAzz, shine a light inside the pipe from the header end. You will see that while it appears to be hollow and shaped like the outside shape of the pipe the inner wall is missing the hole for the stinger as well as having a hole in the center at the end.

Started to only allow 3 chamber pipes the season of the 2006 worlds, right about the same time as the JP-3 and OS 2060 pipes came to market (both 3 chambers).
Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Davidka
JP 1 and 2 are two chamber pipes, the 3 is a 3 chamber.

JAzz, shine a light inside the pipe from the header end. You will see that while it appears to be hollow and shaped like the outside shape of the pipe the inner wall is missing the hole for the stinger as well as having a hole in the center at the end.

Started to only allow 3 chamber pipes the season of the 2006 worlds, right about the same time as the JP-3 and OS 2060 pipes came to market (both 3 chambers).
i got ya, and I looked, and did see what you are refering to. I was expecting to see some sort of baffle in there, and not be able to see the entire interior of the pipe, for my thought process is, where are these cambers? But your explaination makes perfect sense. I never really paid attention, nor cared how many chambers a pipe has, I just know that's the best pipe for my V-spec, and my track, Thanks for the heads up from all of you, and for setting me straight.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Lord

Yep, there's really less to them then what you'd expect.

I don't understand the reasoning behind requiring 3 chambers. The two I have experience with are just as loud as anything else except a JP1, that thing is like an amplifier!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Thanks all - it just seemed odd when looking down. I'll take a closer look before I mount it.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Is this pipe a suitable match for the OS speed on a smallish technical track with many jumps ? Can't seem to find the 2050 anywhere. Thanks.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 10-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by joeling
Is this pipe a suitable match for the OS speed on a smallish technical track with many jumps ? Can't seem to find the 2050 anywhere. Thanks.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Yes, it should be GREAT for that type of track.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Hi Davidka,

Thanks for the info. Here's some pics of the track I run at :

Originally Posted by Davidka
Yes, it should be GREAT for that type of track.
Regards,
Joe Ling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.