Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Which Truggy?

First post! I am new to this rc game and am very interested in getting into truggy racing. I know i want a nitro truggy. My questions is i see by my house
XTM, and LOSi as the two main cars my hobby shops sell. I would like to get something ready to run. Since this is my first ever Nitro car i want something durable that can take some punishment but also something in the $300-400 range? What is out there if anything that is decent. Also what are the makes to stay away from? I can get a xtm rtr truggy for around $350.00.. The losi is around $750 and change. I am basically looking for something to learn on and upgrade if i get super hooked on the sport.. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated..

RookieB
Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

if your new i dont know if a kit would be the way to go i would definitly get a rtr like the losi 8t or if you wanna get a kit i would go with the jammin x2
Old 10-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

IMO I would go with the Losi 8ight-t RTR and AMainhobbies has it for $589.99 well worth it. Use this Coupon code:CALPAUG825 for an additional $25.00 off.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Take a look at the Caster Racing K8T RTR. Just a bit over 400 but very well built and tough.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have always been mugen, but have recently swithced to jammin. but as far as rtrs, based on out of the box performance and reliability.... i would get the losi. there are some upgrades you could make, but none really that necessary. it comes with a spektrum radio and decent servos. the engine performs well up until around 4 gallons or so. by then, you will be ready for a screamer any way....
Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I take it since no one has commented on the XTM truggy it's not a very good unit? Caster racing? I am assuming you build your own custom cars? Sorry not up to speed yet but i have been lurking for a few weeks or so. 1 question i have is why is the Losi truck only go 3-4 gallons of fuel before it needs a rebuild? Also i see the Keyoshi truggy's for sale for $400 or so for a rtr truggy? Are they a decent starter unit? Sorry for all the questions but i am a total green horn. I like to research a little bit before i pull the trigger on something.

RookieB
Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

xtm is a very entry level buggy and if you race you will out grow it quickly. Can never go wrong with Losi, Jammin, or Ofna ST

Caster is fairly new to the USA but can be found at www.casterracingusa.com

A good rule of thumb is go with the one your LHS supports.

good luck!!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the kyosho has stamped aluminum shock towers and such. after racing it a few times (and crashing) you'll have bent those and need to replace them. i was just saying that the losi needs fewer hopups to be up to par with a durable kit version that you can depend on making it to the end of a main. as far as the engines (and some may disagree with me) the rtr or lower end engines just don't last as long as the higher end engines. you pay more up front for those engines, but get longer service out of most as well. the losi is a great choice though. i can't comment on xtm or caster racing since i've never had either, but i do know they aren't as widely used and one would assume it has to do with performance and reliability. maybe not.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

TT ST-1?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17281

http://www.myrcbox.com/track_test_st1.htm

http://www.myrcbox.com/st1_from_rtr_2_racer.htm
Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

good idea going with a rtr for your first nitro car/truck.
the losi would be the better choice here.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RickBac
A good rule of thumb is go with the one your LHS supports.
IMO... this is the most important statement and the best advice
Old 10-02-2008, 05:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Check out Caster Racing. They have their own support forums and are very helpful when setting up. http://www.casterracingusa.com/forum...?section=about

If you plan on racing, their kit comes 80% pre-built. You could probably pick up electronics and a sport engine off e-bay for cheap and I'm sure the Caster guys would help you out in setup. It's prbably best to stay away from a race engine until you get familiar with everything since they are extremely difficult to break in.

I picked my Caster stuff up from holeshothobbies http://www.holeshothobbies.com/

Vnmsgt is the owner of holeshothobbies and an excellent guy to deal with. I would PM him with any questions and I'm sure he would be glad to help you out. The K8T is excellent quality and I haven't broke anything yet. I have bought parts from him and I received them within 3 days.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Look at the price range

I find it funny how people ignore someone's suggested price range. In your price range the best choice is the TTR St-1. It can be found for around $300the radio gear is weak, but a very durable and good pull start engine, also comes w/ glow ignitor, fuel bottle, stuff you'd need to buy to get started. W/ the left over $100 you could easily pick up a new Futaba 3PM FM radio or better yet, wait til you can get the 2.4Ghz version for $80 more. LHS support is overrated IMO, with good forums like this one you can get most questions answered especially if you're mechanically inclined to begin with.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Since your new try to find something that your lhs has parts for. xtm makes some nice stuff. I like there motors alot have had on in my maxx for a while now. That is the main thing since your new to driving not saying you will be more then likely be bring alot of stuff. So its a good idea to get an xtm or losi. The 8t imo is the best rtr truggy out. It comes with alot of upgrades right out of the box. I don't kno why people say its so overpriced because it you bought a revo and added the aftermarket stuff it has you would have more invested then if you just bought an 8t.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the Losi 8T RTR is a good truggy but alot of people overlook Thunder Tiger ST1 truggy ...if you put it next to a mugen mbx5t they almost look the same except the mbx5t chassis few mm longer plus the thunder tiger is only $300 bucks @ amainand use the coupon $25 off $275 for a rtr truggy not a bad deal.. but if you wanna go all out i recomend the Jammmin X2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.