R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Id like to cast my vote for the Hyper st. I run the pro truggy and it rocks, its right there with the jammin, Losi, Kyosho, etc. but less money, tons of parts available, easy to work on, very durable, tons of stearing, fast as hell, etc. etc Check it out.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guess Ill thorw my 0.02$ into this discussion.

Id go with the GS XUT. Tough as nails.Cheap, great support(just e-mail Marty Korn He answer all your Questions)

Can upgrade to the team kit easily. Its a very easy to set up truck,easy to drive.And all the parts are available at A-Main

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...&filter_mfr=97

A-main has everything from the RTR to the Pro Team kit in stock.
And the XUT Advanced conversion kit in stock

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/26112
Old 10-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshon50 View Post
I find it funny how people ignore someone's suggested price range. In your price range the best choice is the TTR St-1. It can be found for around $300the radio gear is weak, but a very durable and good pull start engine, also comes w/ glow ignitor, fuel bottle, stuff you'd need to buy to get started. W/ the left over $100 you could easily pick up a new Futaba 3PM FM radio or better yet, wait til you can get the 2.4Ghz version for $80 more. LHS support is overrated IMO, with good forums like this one you can get most questions answered especially if you're mechanically inclined to begin with.
Well you just upgraded his radio at a total cost now of $480. The Losi RTR on A-Main is a $589 and is a way better truggy and comes with a good radio. IMO, spending $300-$400 on an entry level RTR truggy is a total waste of money. If you have any ideas at all that you may want to race, you will end up upgrading at considerable more cost. You will get next to nothing trying to sell a used $300-$400 truggy because it will only be worth 150-200 max, if you are lucky. You are better off trying to find a good, used pro kit like a Kyosho, Losi, Mugen, Jammin' etc that may already come with some spare parts. The classified section is loaded with deals and so is Ebay. You will be much farther ahead starting with a top of the line used truggy than a cheaper new one. I have watched quite a few people buy something cheap first. Then they decide they want a better version only to spend more money in total after they upgrade. Take it from someone who has learned the hard way a few times. Get the right one the first time.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

The current version of the Losi truggy is pretty hard on the rear ring and pinion gears. It also requires SAE tools rather than metric (virtually everything else on the market uses metric tools and hardware.)

WHEN (not if, when) you munch the ring and pinion you need to also replace the "bulkhead."

Other than that it is a GREAT truck, tough, durable, fast, and agile.

I really don't recommend an RTR truggy. Go find a used pro kit. Probably the best beginner buggy made is the the Mugen MBX5. While I haven't personally owned an MBX5-T (truggy version) I strongly suspect it is equally good.

You're going to spend a LITTLE more money in the short term on a pro-kit, but in the long run it is going to be cheaper.

If you absolutely insist on getting an RTR, the Jammin is a great truck. I've heard good things about the Hyper also. BUT... there are differences in the RTR version and the pro kit on almost any of them.

Here's the Jammin X1X-CRT RTR version: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4134

There are some differences in the RTR and the Pro Kit. Shock towers are thinner... I'm not sure on the X1X, but on the X1 it used "dogbones" instead of CVA's in the rear, chassis braces are plastic instead of CNC, (that can be good or bad... more chassis flex means more traction, but stiffer is stronger.) radio tray, front top plate, and center diff top plate are aluminum instead of carbon fiber, (again, good AND bad... carbon is lighter, but the aluminum is more durable) and no "Z-brace." (The Z-brace stiffens the chassis around the cutouts for the flywheel and spur gear.)

If I were going to buy an RTR that's what I would get. No, it doesn't have a great radio... and the engine is marginal... and 2 piece pipes can create problems (they can pop apart on a hard hit.)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
The current version of the Losi truggy is pretty hard on the rear ring and pinion gears. It also requires SAE tools rather than metric (virtually everything else on the market uses metric tools and hardware.)

WHEN (not if, when) you munch the ring and pinion you need to also replace the "bulkhead."

Other than that it is a GREAT truck, tough, durable, fast, and agile.

I really don't recommend an RTR truggy. Go find a used pro kit. Probably the best beginner buggy made is the the Mugen MBX5. While I haven't personally owned an MBX5-T (truggy version) I strongly suspect it is equally good.

You're going to spend a LITTLE more money in the short term on a pro-kit, but in the long run it is going to be cheaper.

If you absolutely insist on getting an RTR, the Jammin is a great truck. I've heard good things about the Hyper also. BUT... there are differences in the RTR version and the pro kit on almost any of them.

Here's the Jammin X1X-CRT RTR version: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4134

There are some differences in the RTR and the Pro Kit. Shock towers are thinner... I'm not sure on the X1X, but on the X1 it used "dogbones" instead of CVA's in the rear, chassis braces are plastic instead of CNC, (that can be good or bad... more chassis flex means more traction, but stiffer is stronger.) radio tray, front top plate, and center diff top plate are aluminum instead of carbon fiber, (again, good AND bad... carbon is lighter, but the aluminum is more durable) and no "Z-brace." (The Z-brace stiffens the chassis around the cutouts for the flywheel and spur gear.)

If I were going to buy an RTR that's what I would get. No, it doesn't have a great radio... and the engine is marginal... and 2 piece pipes can create problems (they can pop apart on a hard hit.)
I know you keep saying they are hard on ring and pinions, but I haven't lost one yet on my buggy or truck in a year and a half. I use the aluminum bearing inserts though. The rear bulkhead is a $9 part, which I needed because I stripped some holes out. I agree the RTR versions are not worth the money in the long run. This truggy was a perfect example of a package deal like I was talking about, but this one is sold. losi 8t truggy
I'm sure there are more in the classifieds in almost any brand. Stick with the Pro Kits, I think you would be way better off.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Since i am new to this i have another question. What's the deal with the pull start motors? Imean if i buy a truggy with a pull start motor can i later upgrade the motor to a non- pull start? I am going to my local race track this weekend in Temecula to check out the cars. I will have a better idea after this weekend which way i am going to go as far as a truggy is concerned. A local hobbie shop guy told my buddy to buy a Jammin over a Losi as the jammin parts are alot better? Thicker/bigger. He also says the Losi trucks are more for guys that like to work on their cars alot? I thought Losi trucks were top of the line? I think i need to go see them in action to make up my own mind. I am hoping the local guys are willing to let me pick their brain after the races??
rookieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket XUT View Post
Guess Ill thorw my 0.02$ into this discussion.

Id go with the GS XUT. Tough as nails.Cheap, great support(just e-mail Marty Korn He answer all your Questions)

Can upgrade to the team kit easily. Its a very easy to set up truck,easy to drive.And all the parts are available at A-Main

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...&filter_mfr=97

A-main has everything from the RTR to the Pro Team kit in stock.
And the XUT Advanced conversion kit in stock

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/26112

+1 On the XUT its tough and not heavy like other tanks.. light and nimble!!! Easy to drive easy and to set up!!!!!! Search ebay for an ARTR way cheap since the electronics suck!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieB View Post
Since i am new to this i have another question. What's the deal with the pull start motors? Imean if i buy a truggy with a pull start motor can i later upgrade the motor to a non- pull start? I am going to my local race track this weekend in Temecula to check out the cars. I will have a better idea after this weekend which way i am going to go as far as a truggy is concerned. A local hobbie shop guy told my buddy to buy a Jammin over a Losi as the jammin parts are alot better? Thicker/bigger. He also says the Losi trucks are more for guys that like to work on their cars alot? I thought Losi trucks were top of the line? I think i need to go see them in action to make up my own mind. I am hoping the local guys are willing to let me pick their brain after the races??
Some motors cannot be upgraded to Bump start, just because they do not make back plates for them, also in most cases you will need different engine mounts so the flywheel sits lower to engage the starter box wheel
Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan805 View Post
+1 On the XUT its tough and not heavy like other tanks.. light and nimble!!! Easy to drive easy and to set up!!!!!! Search ebay for an ARTR way cheap since the electronics suck!!!

I was thinking the ARTR 294.99 at A-main with a spektrum dx2 off e-bay barely fits in the 400.00 price target but will work. And if you find a extra 50.00 bucks the dx-2.0 from A-main is 150.00

All brand new from A-main is 450.00 truggy ,motor ,decent radio

plus if you spend over 250.00 and use the coupon code you get 25.00$ off
Old 10-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #25
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all of the replies so far. You guys have given me some great option to look into. What's the deal with the Kyoshi Inferno truggies? I see them around but people don't say much about them? How are they overall? I see most have a pull start motor? Is there motors out there that are not pull start on the Kyoshi Truggies? If so what are some options? Only reason i am asking is i might be able to get a used Truggy for a super good price..
rookieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

The kyosho kits are awesome, but super expensive. Definitely stay away from the kyosho RTRs. They're crap, IMO. I've seen people run then around here, and from what I see on the net, they quality is not very good, and they aren't as durable as other trucks.
In my opinion, a great RTR to look in to is the CEN Matrix TR Arena. The truck is super tough, handles awesome, especially for a beginner, and it has great gear. The engine has lasted me (and still runs) 7 gallons, and the radio gear is not bad. Metal gear, ball bearing servos and an FM 3 channel radio with a bunch of necessary adjustment, along with other, more specific adjustments.
Take a look at cenracing.com for more info.
Good luck with your choice.
Futaba FASST 3PM
chrobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
would get the losi. there are some upgrades you could make, but none really that necessary. it comes with a spektrum radio and decent servos. the engine performs well up until around 4 gallons or so. by then, you will be ready for a screamer any way....
Quote:
1 question i have is why is the Losi truck only go 3-4 gallons of fuel before it needs a rebuild?
Last year, I was in your shoes Rook, I bought a Losi 8T RTR. I literally beat it to death, and it came back for more. I added the bearing inserts to the rear diff at 3 gallons, replace the throttle servo at 4 gallons, finally broke a rear hub carrier at 7 gallons and the mach 427 engine gave up at about half way into gallon 13.

I bought the Race Roller in July and have not looked back. Every car out there has its share of problems. Overall, the only way to tell is to buy what is in your budget, and have fun.
Losi 8ight.....Dynamite Platinum 21XP..........JR8800T's
www.trackseekers.com
yaright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #28
Tech Regular

The regular Kyosho US Sports insnt a good race truggy. Uses small axles,has a funky clutch,non standard motor mounts and a odd ball engine that can only be used on a kyosho with a non standard exhaust mount that doesnt support "tuned pipes".Servos are junk(like all RTRs) But the radio is pretty good.

After all that if you still want one. I got one for sell.Its my stepdads like new.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:54 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would recommend the Losi 8T RTR
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote