R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default be honest

Ok, I have 2 RC8 (one is a parts car) and all the kingz head options, but the car still develops quitte a bit of front end slop, actually quite bad after 2.5 hours of track use, I do not bash. I have been out of rc for a long time, remenber the Pirate M1, Mugen Athelete, Mugen super athelete, Kyosho Burns and Turbo Burns and the original Inferno that whon the worlds back in 1992 Germany Usigen??????? yep,that old.
Any way back in the days the cars were hevy, but they lasted longer, hell the Pirate M1 did the full season in 1991 and the Iberica Cup without breaking or developing the slop the Rc8 does in 2.5 hours????
The Rc8 handles great, but from past experiance the Mugen and kyosho were the cars that offered the most tunning and reliability does this still hold true today?
I want to buy another buggy, but at my lhs and race track is LOSI all the way.... the ones with expiriance please help
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Mugen, Kyosho, Ofna/Jammin and Xray have the same type of toughness you're used to. I had a Ofna Pirate M1 back in the days and if I'm not mistaken, its still spinning wheels with its 4th owner, LOL. The buggies now a days though have shedded some of the "ol" iron in trying to keep weight down to make the cars more agile, but still pretty tough, just not bulked up like the old days. The RC8 was never a bulked up or "old iron" type of buggy. As for the Losi, its cost is cheap, so LHS will favor pushing it and now with a newer one coming, some discounts are being thown out now.

IMO, the MBX6 price wise is the way to go. The MP-9 is also great from what I have seen, but price is up there.

Last edited by ezveedub; 10-01-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

My lhs deals with LOSI, so I am going to A-main for my buggy needs, wich of those sugested buggys as the most suport?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I agree with ezvee. Although I am new to racing, I am not new to Nitro RC. I bought the new xray 808 a couple of months ago, and the car is a dream. My older bugy was the Ofna Hyper 7, and that car as well had very little maintenance, but slightly more than the Xray. I have a couple of guys at my Track, (Nitro Pit) who bought the new RC8, and both of them got rid of them because of the slop factor, and I have been hearing that fellow racers have the same complaints about the Odonnell buggy, and everyone knows that Losi is King of maintenance, but it is also one of the tops cars out there today, so all I can say is stay on top of your buggy and dial out the slop as often as possible and kick butt with what you got, or get rid of it, and get a buggy that needs less attention. You should be fine with any of the Buggies listed by EZVEE
Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Kyosho. The 777wc is tried true and proven very durable. Also lots of hop ups avalible as well as factory replacement stuff. The MP9, even tho its expensive, is a high quality car. Cant say much about how it drives because well, i havent. But i was lucky enough to hold one in my hands and let me tell you. VERY VERY NICE!
XRAY. The 808 is a new car. Very light (probably lightest or very close). A friend of mine has one, very well made, innovative, easy to maintain. The quality of the steel is most likely the best in the industry. Lots of steering and very forgiving, likes to be driven hard.
Losi. Stay away. Car drives very good but if you dont want slop, dont buy it.
NCWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Tech Addict

All I can say having owned Ofna, Losi and Xray cars is...... Xray XB808.

I burned a whole gallon this weekend by racing a club race Saturday night ( got 2nd in expert buggy), JBRL Sunday (4th in the A-main), and then burned the rest of the fuel at practice. After all that... I tightened 5 screws,.. that was my maintenance. Nothing,.. and I mean nothing can touch the longevity of the Xray buggy. I get way more drive time with this buggy and its starting to show in my results. Please take a close look at this buggy if your getting into racing 1/8th.

http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...4260000001.htm
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If you thought Mugen quality was good back in the day, try them out now. Even better.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Thank's all for the reply, restarting rc racing with the rc8 was a mistake in my part, do not get me wrong the car handles great, but I have to almost give it a full dial after a 10 minute race........my old Pirate M1 would do a full days race with shock adjustments and a hose down. Same with the Mugens, they handled great and were strong like the pirate M1, the Kyosho burns and turbo burns were disasters, unreliable easy to break and a 2x4 with wheels handled better than those things, but then there was the Original Inferno, thats the car that changed the 1/8 buggy, made Mugen come out with the Super Athelete right after the worlds, any way I would like to know if these two are still good reliable buggys with good support
Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Both Mugen and Kyosho make outstanding buggies and parts are available almost everywhere. The MBX-5 series is legendary for strength and its easy to drive nature. The MBX-6 just came out but so far it looks like another in a long line of excellent cars. Took home 3rd at the worlds in its first real race. Kyosho has a similar rep but being a Mugen guy I don't have much first hand experience with them.

The X-ray sounds and looks like an excellent buggy. I have heard some talk about bearing issues but don't know myself.

Losi's reputation is fast, nimble, a bit harder to drive for the average joe but those that like a responsive, "on edge" feel love it. Maybe not quite as tough as the others but not fragile either.

The O'Donnel buggy looks pretty good. I might have to try one come spring.

AE just has too many durability issues for my taste.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I've raced almost all brands and in my opinion Xray and Mugen offer the best durability out of any of the brands.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

stick with the rc8. It is a great buggy. I have almost 3 gallons on mine and it has no slop. Only think I see is the drive pins are starting to square a little
Old 10-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The X-ray sounds and looks like an excellent buggy. I have heard some talk about bearing issues but don't know myself.

There are some bearing issues, but it's mostly because the bearings sit in plastic housings, which cause them to overheat, I just vented the housings, and have not had any issues with my 808. I would strongly recommend this buggy to anyone
Old 10-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

out of the box build kit, MP9 MBX6 or XB808
Old 10-02-2008, 04:41 AM   #14
Tech Elite

"be honest" yes that car does make your ars look fat.lol
Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

that was funny...

My first car was a Sportwerks Mayhem = OK.

My next car was the MBX5 Prospec = great car, great craftsmanship, easy to drive, built like a tank. Purchased a bunch of spare parts when I first got the buggy and sold pretty much all of them still new in bag when I got rid of it.

I now have an RC8 = great car, easy to drive (better matched to my driving style) and I have not had anything break on the car as of yet. But I have had the aluminum King Headz upper top plate, M2C front hingepin rear plate, M2C rear hingepin rear plate and M2C ackerman plate from day one.

I like my RC8 and have no intention of getting rid of it right now, but if I was looking for a new buggy; the MBX6 would be one of the top contenders on my "short list".