Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rb ws7111

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default rb ws7111

hi there im running this motor in my x1cr i have just changed the con rod and put a turbo head button on it and now its flaming out and killing plugs temps are good 220 to 240 end of tank ,the only thing is i am ruuning 30%byrons gen2 i have heard that rb dont like the gen 2 should i change fuels or any other ideas ?thanks in advance also im running the ofna 086 pipe
Old 10-01-2008, 12:41 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

What was your reason for changing to a turbo plug? I'd got back to a standard plug. It even states on the RB website to use standard plugs in off-road engines.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

I don't have a WS7III but I have most of the rest of the RB's & I run Byrons Gen2 25% in them all, they work fine. The turbo plug will make the motor harder to tune and more tempermental. Did you add an extra shim before you started to run 30%? If not, that may help your blown plug problem (maybe). I personally think the turbo plug in an off-road is more hastle than it is worth.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Sounds like you put in the wrong rod(too long) or your bearings magicly went bad,why did you replace the rod? Or you put in the wrong head with too small of a chamber.I assume you were competent to tune before the change? What fuel before the change? I got 3 friends running RB on byrons with no probs.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Gen II runs great. Killing plugs is caused by too much compression. You need to add a head shim.

What plugs are you running? Try RB or Novarossi #5's.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by butch man
Sounds like you put in the wrong rod(too long)
Novarossi rods have all been the same dimensions for several years now. The only different ones would be the R6 rod which is the right size but has no upper rod bushing and requires a special wrist pin and the rods for the onroad 359 and cordoba motors which will not fit (smaller crank pin).
Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

hi guys thanks for the coments i used to run tornado but the 25% i put the turbo head botton on to get more performance i replaced the rod as it had seen a couple of gallons on the original one and yes i have added the extra shim for 30% tunning wise i can usually get it right but always learning on these motors so any advise greatly appreciated
cheers again
Old 10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

If it were me, I'd just go back to a standard plug. They're generally cheaper than turbo plugs and they are a little easier to tune. You don't think you'll notice a huge performance jump going from standard to turbo plugs.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the con-rod does have to be installed in a certain orientation I think. A certain side of the rod has to face the crank I thought.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Lord

Number of head shims is not head clearance. Add another shim. Your new head button is either deeper than the old one or has a smaller volume both of which increase compression. If plugs are being killed, add more shims.

I don't get all this talk about standard plugs being easier to tune. I find the exact opposite to be true. The only thing I can figure is that most turbo plugs are very cold for onroad use. You need a hotter plug for offroad or you will have tuning issues. Go with 5's and 6's. Stick with RB or Nova plugs as they will provide the best fit and most consistent performance. Yes OS, OD, or other plugs will often seem to work fine but can also cause problems in Nova based motors.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I have most always ran turbo buttons on all my off road cars. never had any issues. I currently run a c6bb7t in my rc8 buggy and a ws7-3 LG2 in my xray truggy. never have had a single issue with eighter engine. had a few prbs with my c6 flamming out after re-fueling during a main but that was due to my botom end being rich during break in....if you know how to it would be wise to check your head clearence.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 AM
Tech Adept

update
i took motor apart and it looks like the filament out of the plug went down the barrel and piston so its toast now looking at a $400 rebuild i may just get a new motor now !my own fault i should of checked it but jst kept putting plugs in !thanks for the comments