Wiki Posts
Search

diff gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Default diff gasket

RC8

so i took my rear diff apart and i put it all back together and it leaked around the gasket between the inner houseing and the big gear maybe because i used a old gasket that was already used once? should i get a new one and think that should solve the problem?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the only time i've replaced the gasket on my 8ights is when they tear. I don;t think it's the gasket you have something else going on.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

1. Yes get a new gasket
2. Make sure your diff cup is not cracked.
3. Make sure your rubber o-rings that wrap around the outdrives are in good shape
4. Take the diff case and put sand paper down on a flat surface. Hold the diff case in your hand like a peice of cheese you are about to grate and run it along the paper (not very hard only for about 10 seconds) therefore giving you a perfectly flat surface.
5. Rebuild tightening the screws opposite eachother and let the diff sit for an hour. Re-tighten and install in your RC8

Hope this helps you
Old 10-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by clarksib
1. Yes get a new gasket
3. Make sure your rubber o-rings that wrap around the outdrives are in good shape
4. Take the diff case and put sand paper down on a flat surface. Hold the diff case in your hand like a peice of cheese you are about to grate and run it along the paper (not very hard only for about 10 seconds) therefore giving you a perfectly flat surface.
5. Rebuild tightening the screws opposite eachother and let the diff sit for an hour. Re-tighten and install in your RC8

Hope this helps you
+1

Especially the part about tightening screws across from each other. Don't put one in and tighten it all the way, then the next, etc.

Put them in so they are just BARELY snug... then tighten one a little, then the one opposite it, then one of the other 2, then the last one, and repeat, tightening just a little at time. Take your time, don't get in a hurry. This will make sure it is tightened EVENLY and help prevent leaks, and not distort the diff case.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by clarksib
1. Yes get a new gasket

Hope this helps you
Dont resurface the face of the cup unless it is not flat. It probably dont need it cause the cup is pulled up tight against the perfectly flat and burly gear. It would be unusual for it to distort during operation. If its uneven you have got other problems and should take a look around to make sure nothing else is fubar. I agree tho. A new gasket is a must. Coat it lightly w silicone grease before you install it. Outdrive orings like the stuff too.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

I agree with all that, except the part about silicone grease on the orings. We use petrol based grease bacause the silicone doesn't mix with it, and therefore repels the silicone oil. If you use silicone based grease, it can mix with the silicone oil inside the diff, and eventually leak. just my .02
Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

coating the gasket in oil on both sides and both surfaces is important... we also glue the screws in to seal everything.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I ALWAYS replace the gasket anytime the diff is apart. Gaskets are cheap, and it's a pain to have to tear the diff apart prematurely just because you were too cheap to put a new gasket in it.

Also agree with tightening the screws evenly and not overtightening...

Never heard of trying to sand the diff case flat, if it were distorted that badly I'd probably just get a new one.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

well everything was brand new except the gasket i tried to reuse the old one because my lhs didnt have them so it leaked then i got new ones this morning and it hasnt leaked yet im waiting til tomarrow to put it in to make usre it wont leak
Old 10-02-2008, 04:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ruggydriver
well everything was brand new except the gasket i tried to reuse the old one because my lhs didnt have them. ..
Thats whay I buy spares of anything I have to maintain. Even if lhs is out, I can reply on my spares.