R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-21-2008, 02:13 AM   #241
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiMadMan View Post
[B]

They want you to buy a new kit even if you just bought the 8ight. I know it's not Drakes fault, but I thought I would just put in my 2 cents.
Maybe if we keep on asking losi will release a conversion. I'm sure a lots of people would pay up to $300 (since there will be enough parts to build half a buggy) than pay full $600. of course we can sell the old 8ight and add another $300 for the 2.0 kit but a conversion will also avoid us the hassle of selling
Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #242
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how old is your engine?you would be amased at the damage engine harmonics can do on clutch bearings.the two things i would consider is replacing is 1st the rear main bearing and front bearing.then the connecting rod.ive seen both of these problems kill clutch bearings.if you engine bearings are bad you should notice your engine will be noisier than others.
LOSI Eight 2.0 & EIGHT T 2.0/ GO EBM5 FULL MOD / OS 2060
LOSI AD 2 OS TZ
donut92673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #243
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If you insist on a upgrade I would not hold your breath, losi is not doing one. It's just to much stuff.

However call Carolinas and ask to speak with Jon. I think he made up some kits for sale. I think if you get one that will be your only option.

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scripts/default.asp
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 AM   #244
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Also, (you may not know) why pay $300 for parts when you can get the entire car? A local racer her just purchased a 2.0 from www.carolinasrc.com. He took advantage of some offer they have with 10% off sale price(which is $539 once in your basket). I think to his door it was $475-485 for the 2.0.

That may help your situation a bit more
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:28 AM   #245
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
hey adam i have a quick question and a problem.

how often are u at the nitro pit in az??? i just started racing not long ago and would like 2 see u and mike race, im going 2 tucson this weekend for "The Az Champ series"

and here is my problem. i have the original losi 8ight, i do plan to get the 2.0 but im tight on money because of this problem. i have gone thru 4-5 clutches in the past month, month in a half.My clutch bearings are lasting a night of racing and thats it. i have finally started changing the bearings after a night of racin but i dont feel this should be doing this. ive had 2 different hobby shops take a look but they dont know why. i was runnin the pro kits clutch set up but now i changed to all alum. pads and silver springs hoping this will help

All silver springs are way too much tension for a buggy and maybe even truggy. That lets the clutch slip a lot causing heat and then destroying bearings. The setup used most often is 2 alum, 2 carbon and all gold springs or 2 gold on the alum shoes and 2 black on the carbons. Try running a softer spring such as 2 gold and 2 black on your all aluminum setup. Maybe even 2 gold and 2 green.
mbrienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #246
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:

how often are u at the nitro pit in az??? i just started racing not long ago and would like 2 see u and mike race, im going 2 tucson this weekend for "The Az Champ series"

and here is my problem. i have the original losi 8ight, i do plan to get the 2.0 but im tight on money because of this problem. i have gone thru 4-5 clutches in the past month, month in a half.My clutch bearings are lasting a night of racing and thats it. i have finally started changing the bearings after a night of racin but i dont feel this should be doing this. ive had 2 different hobby shops take a look but they dont know why. i was runnin the pro kits clutch set up but now i changed to all alum. pads and silver springs hoping this will help

weve told you like a Dozen times on now 2 different forums and 3 different threads....drake is gonna say the Exact same thing weve been the whole time.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #247
Tech Addict

Quote:

losi_racer- I run two aluminum shoe with gold spring and two carbon shoes with green springs. This setup does not hit as hard and it seems to help with the life of the clutch. I run the same clutch for about a month with this setup. Hope this helps. If you have any questions or need any help this weekend just come look for Chuck and do my best for you.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #248
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinator View Post
losi_racer- I run two aluminum shoe with gold spring and two carbon shoes with green springs. This setup does not hit as hard and it seems to help with the life of the clutch. I run the same clutch for about a month with this setup. Hope this helps. If you have any questions or need any help this weekend just come look for Chuck and do my best for you.

chuck your local to this guy ? if so check his mesh and make sure its Loose...as i feel that's the actual problem he's having with the bearings...also make him ditch the all silver springs...as we all know that causes the stock set-up to Burn down real fast.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #249
Tech Adept

Make sure the motor is straight as well. I've seen this problem with the quick change mount. No problem with the mount but just the fact that it's mounted just a hair crooked. Everything will look and feel fine but then you are just having multiple bearing failures. That's why the 2.0 is laser etched on the chassis.

Tekno RC | Jconcepts| Trinity | Hobbywing | MKS Servos | Elevation Sports | Code 3 RC |
cdbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #250
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

integra do you think im stupid? ive tried the same thing over and over and its pretty much what your sayin. SO im tryin something new.

def. to insanity- doing the same thing as expecting different results!!!!!!
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #251
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not only the mesh, but don't forget you have to have the slop in the clutch bell. I raced 3/4 of a season on 1 set of bearings. I do remove mine and use Trinity Royal oil on them and make sure they are sipnning good.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #252
Tech Champion

WoW what a suprise.... i did something different and guess what.... IT WORKS NOW. did a full day of racing and my bearings are fine. no more clutch issues
Old 11-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #253
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
WoW what a suprise.... i did something different and guess what.... IT WORKS NOW. did a full day of racing and my bearings are fine. no more clutch issues
So what did you do?????
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #254
Tech Lord

little mod i did to my 1.0 chassy's

Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #255
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiMadMan View Post
So what did you do?????

just changed to 4 alum shoes and 4 silver springs.