R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default OS V-Spec Rebuild - Part Dos

Some of you may recall a post from me a while back about how my first gen V-Spec started flaming out and sounding terrible. I took it apart, baked it in the oven, removed and replaced the front and rear bearings, replaced the con-rod, and put it all back together...correctly I think.

FF to last Saturday. I was at the track and decided I would try to get the thing running. I got it fired up but could only keep it running when it was around 1/3 throttle and that was idle RPMs. I took off the air filter to see what was going on with the car and it was spitting fuel out and all over the buggy. Not a ton but I don't except to see any fuel coming OUT of the carb intake. I put all the needles at factory settings then cranked them down a little so it wouldn't be super rich. I can get it started and it will rev up well but it's rich and won't idle normally.

What do you think is going on? In what order should I start checking things and troubleshooting?
t0adman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

It's spitting fuel OUT OF the carb?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adman View Post
Some of you may recall a post from me a while back about how my first gen V-Spec started flaming out and sounding terrible. I took it apart, baked it in the oven, removed and replaced the front and rear bearings, replaced the con-rod, and put it all back together...correctly I think.

FF to last Saturday. I was at the track and decided I would try to get the thing running. I got it fired up but could only keep it running when it was around 1/3 throttle and that was idle RPMs. I took off the air filter to see what was going on with the car and it was spitting fuel out and all over the buggy. Not a ton but I don't except to see any fuel coming OUT of the carb intake. I put all the needles at factory settings then cranked them down a little so it wouldn't be super rich. I can get it started and it will rev up well but it's rich and won't idle normally.

What do you think is going on? In what order should I start checking things and troubleshooting?
normally a v spec will spit fuel out the carb when it's very fat, this accures alot during breakin, and is a good sign that it has plenty of fuel running through it.

Check the plug, or did you change to a cooler plug, and are the correct shims installed in the head button.

When you where trying to get it to tune right before it may have put your settings way off.

Also, did you change pipes, this will change the tune also.
615-838-5373
mugenb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

A buddy of mine had a very similar sounding issue last week. It turned out that he had reinstalled the piston backwards. It would run if the throttle was held open some but did not idle at all. Remember that the skirt of the piston should be towards the back plate.

If this is the case just be glad it is an OS, becuse many other engines would have broke the piston skirt off.
Airtronics
Fusion Motorsports
Jwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the good feedback guys. I'll go home tonight and make sure I have the damn piston in correctly.
t0adman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adman View Post
Thanks for the good feedback guys. I'll go home tonight and make sure I have the damn piston in correctly.
also for safe measure, be sure the rod is installed right, both sides look the same, but look at the bottom bushing, the side with the chamfered edge, goes in facing the crank. Good luck.

And, yes the motor will run with the piston in backwards, and dies at low RPM because once the boost side of the piston clears the exaust, all case preasure esscapes.
615-838-5373
mugenb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Definitly the piston is in backwards. Lets just say that is for sure what it is. Lets not talk about how I know for sure that is the problem.

I done the same thing. Surprizingly the motor will run, it just wont idle.
Big Billy's RC World
Baity's RC
rcdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

if its not that then try a different glow plug
sickjamminracer is offline   Reply With Quote