Wiki Posts
Search

Best pre glued tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JBURCH
I prefer to glue my own then I only have one person to blame if they fail. If I do purchase any premounted tires I will run another bead of CA Glue before running them
+1
Old 09-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I mean glue used to put plastic models cars,boats, planes together. Not a quick, instant set like CA, would give more time to properly seat bead. I know CA is recomended, I personally use losi standard with the little tubing they include. I usually put a thin bead on wheel, push tire bead firmly onto wheel and let it set and then glue sidewall to rim as well for extra security.
It seems with a thin bead sometimes the rubber tire pulls loose from the wheel, looks like it actually tears the rubber loose. I prep the wheel and tire by using a dremel sanding barrel on the tire bead, then a dremel stone on the wheel,followed by a wipedown with acetone. Just never been completely happy with CA results, would like to use a glue that could be applied liberally to bead area and left overnight to dry.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pooldoc
I mean glue used to put plastic models cars,boats, planes together. Not a quick, instant set like CA, would give more time to properly seat bead. I know CA is recomended, I personally use losi standard with the little tubing they include. I usually put a thin bead on wheel, push tire bead firmly onto wheel and let it set and then glue sidewall to rim as well for extra security.
It seems with a thin bead sometimes the rubber tire pulls loose from the wheel, looks like it actually tears the rubber loose. I prep the wheel and tire by using a dremel sanding barrel on the tire bead, then a dremel stone on the wheel,followed by a wipedown with acetone. Just never been completely happy with CA results, would like to use a glue that could be applied liberally to bead area and left overnight to dry.

You can get CA glue in a thick formula, that is similar to the Plastic model glue you are referring to. I takes 20-30 seconds to start setting so you have plenty of time to set your beads
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Tech Master

GRP has the best pre glued tire quality, never met someone who seen one come unglued.Losi imports them now but not all losi tires are GRPs.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Medium glue holds better for the first bead from what ive experienced....I WIll not use thin as my first bead....balancing is also VERY important...and doing it the Proper way also.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pooldoc
Don't use the plastic cement glue you use for Plastic models , only use the CA glue the one i use is Loctite 406 and it gives you ample time glue tire (if its is a Hot day put bottle in fridge for half hour to cool it down this allows you more time as well)
The method i use is as follows
1. clean rims and tires Alchol etc
2. assemble tires onto rims making sure the tire sits correclty and even around you may need to push foams so it sits right
3. Grab tire and hold on a slight angle and then use your thumb to open tire bead from rim (only 1-2mm) apply a few drops of CA into the opening with the rim being on an angle the glue will run "down hill" so just slowly open bead as you move tire around adding more CA as needed .
4. Final step you need to apply pressure to the bead , i use Electrical tape (16mm wide) and pull it tight around the diameter of tire and leave the tape on as long as i can maybe 1hr , wipe excess glue with rag .

Hope this ramble makes sence
Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default tires

Thanks for all the info guys I did tried some GRP preglues they held up good but where a bit slippery on our track .I glued up a set that came with an X2 kit but I must not have cleaned the tire good I used a scotch bright on tire and rim but I had a couple spot come lose in a 5 tank test section I will try a set with thicker glue I have been using proline thin and cleaning with acetone. This time I will really scuff up the tire and rim and give it a try with the thicker glue. Thanks. Mark,
Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the trick is to get all the residues off the tires and rims and pull the bead down on the rim , never had a tire let go yet!!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

electrical tape is a waste...get some panther bands and be done with it. they'll pay for themselves in the long run.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

GRPs are the best Ive found so far.

I was wondering if anyone had tried the Proline V2 preglued tires? I really dont like glueing tires but the GRPs only come on yellow wheels, they are expensive, and they dont work everywhere I race.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

1.All my GRP premounts are on white wheels.

2.GRP tires are within a $1 of most brands around here & check the specials sections on line as GRP can be had for $13 un-mounted & $18 mounted.

3.With as many GRP tread patterns & compounds available you will find one that drives just like every pro-line product.

4.GRP premounts do not need to be balanced, & have vent holes in the treads already.

5.If you use pro-line v2 you will get A.Radicaly out of balance tire. B.unbelievably poor glue job. C.Still have to punch a vent hole in tread(if thats how you roll). D.The same price as Panther, Werks, Advantage, GRP, J-concepts & way more than the sportworks that actually work & last very well if the right tread & compound is used.I havent run the sportworks on any of my cars but have driven them on a buddys car & watched a couple other people use them with a smile. At $13 mounted how dissapointed could you be.

Anyways not trying to bioch slap pro-line too much cuz I do use some of their tires its just I always tell my self never again.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slippery
4. Final step you need to apply pressure to the bead , i use Electrical tape (16mm wide) and pull it tight around the diameter of tire and leave the tape on as long as i can maybe 1hr , wipe excess glue with rag .

Hope this ramble makes sence

This method works great! WARNING...when mounting small pin soft 1/10 scale tires (ie. holeshots M3), put electrical tape on sticky side out and wrap it twice around. If you put sticky side on tread, this may rip some of the pins off the tire when you remove the tape

Jason K.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have heard that there are some pretty big names gluing the AKA premounts.