Wiki Posts
Search

Tuning with Carburetor venturi’s

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Tuning with Carburetor venturi’s

My engine has a 9, 8.5 and a 8 venturi. I never messed with them and i'm looking for a brief explanation on what each will do so if anyone can give me help I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by losi guy
My engine has a 9, 8.5 and a 8 venturi. I never messed with them and i'm looking for a brief explanation on what each will do so if anyone can give me help I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Different venturi sizes are used to increase run time and lower or increase power. Simply put your size 9 venturi allows for more air to enter the engine and you will then need to add more fuel for it to be tuned properly which will equal more power. A smaller venturi will reduce the amount of air entering the motor so in turn you will have to lean it out thus resulting in better run time and less power. As far as how much run time is gained it isn't lots so don't think you'll gain extra minutes of run time when switching out venturis.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Most of your standard venturis also disturb the air as it goes into the carb. This can sometimes make for a hassle in keeping a consistent tune. The disturbed airflow also cause some fuel to not burn as efficiently as it should. You usually will have a noticable difference in the power of your motor when using smaller venturis. It's a trade off for better mileage.

IDRC carb venturis have a unique design that limits the airflow like other inserts....but allows the air a smooth entrance into the carb. This causes an increase in air velocity, that in turn, increases the atomization of the fuel as the air hits/mixes with it. This makes for much better fuel usage/mileage....and also results in less noticable power loss while till gaining KILLER runtimes.