R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to ryanroma Send a message via MSN to ryanroma Send a message via Yahoo to ryanroma
Default Running too rich

I realized today after running my buggy for 5 minutes breaking it in that it's running way too rich. It almost used an entire tank in that time and I'm finding raw fuel on my rear tires and a-arm on the left. How much should I lean it out while I'm still breaking it in, what's safe? If it helps, I dropped a drop of water at the bottom of the heatsink and it sizzled and took a while to go away.
ryanroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to losi guy

If your not haveing problems getting it started and it runs i wouldn't lean it at all untill its breakin is complete. I know it's messy and gets all over but you should have a good amount fuel spitting out.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Don't lean it out at all until at least 10 tanks.
rustlerboi1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to ryanroma Send a message via MSN to ryanroma Send a message via Yahoo to ryanroma

Alright, it's just concerning me that it's not getting up to temp. because I was told that if I dropped a drop of water at the bottom where the glow plug goes it should evaporate kinda fast but not dance and evaporate really fast. It just sits there for a while and sizzles a little, I will possibly try it when it's running though...
Old 09-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Its not supposed to sizzle away fast. It is supposed to sit there and sizzle away very slowely.

Tuning by temperature IS NOT THE WAY TO GO.

Tune by smoke from the exaust. If there is always a light blue trail of smoke high end and low end, your good. Tuning comes with experience. Just keep it rich and it will start to open up.
rustlerboi1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlerboi1052 View Post
Its not supposed to sizzle away fast. It is supposed to sit there and sizzle away very slowely.

Tuning by temperature IS NOT THE WAY TO GO.

Tune by smoke from the exaust. If there is always a light blue trail of smoke high end and low end, your good. Tuning comes with experience. Just keep it rich and it will start to open up.
True tuning by tempature is not the way to go, but if he's not getting it warm enough to heat cycle during break in he's doing more harm than good. If you have a temp gun this is about the only time I recommend using one, wrap the head in a sock and preheat the motor with a heat gun. Take it out and get it up somewhere in the 210-220 range, shut it down roll the piston to BDC and let it cool. Do this for about 3 tanks then you can start to lean it out making sure that you have good smoke, run it like this for 4 tanks or so then imo you can start to race tune.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Well by now I've probably run 4 tanks thru it, I went and leaned it out and now it seems like it's guzzling fuel-it used almost the entire tank in around 6 minutes. I leaned it 2 hours from whatever it came with.. If turning right is leaning, which I was told it was.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mandeville huh? Many years ago I used to work at a summer camp with a guy from Mandeville. Most people break engines in now at about 200 deg from the get go. You can use foil , etc. to heat the head but if you're in Mandeville rightn now you probably won't need to. If you do then use it. As long as the engine will run and idle and hit 200 deg you don't need to lean it any further during break-in. Once you have about 30 minutes or so total on it at 200 deg, tune it to run and let it rip.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

sounds good.. patience.. patience..
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

water test goes like this:

211 and below water sits no evaporation get temp up!!!!
212-230 water will not boil immediately on contact about 2 sec after and boil off in about 5-7
230-250 water boils on contact boils more like a slow simmer on contact should be gone in about 5 secs
250-270 immediate boil and gone in about 3 secs
280 and above waters going to dance on contact shut it down!!!!

Great test to check your temp gauge to see how accurate it is. Water always reacts to temp the same way. spit works just as good as a couple drops a water. Besides you always got spit.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Well since tuning goes by sound if I took some videos as I leaned it out would it help you guys tell me if I was getting closer to having it tuned right?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Oh and should I be leaning out the LSN, I have only been touching the HSN...
Old 09-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

if it would start right out of the box then I would not move a thing untill you are in to your break in alot more
kcpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
Tech Regular

I understand that but I don't think it's getting anywhere near as warm as it should be so it's doing more damage than good when I take it out and run it to break it in..
Old 09-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here, this method or something very similar is what nearly everyone I know uses. Bess is an excellent engine guy and knows what he's talking about. There is no way to tell if your engine is hitting 200 deg unless you have a temp gun b/c water doesn't boil till 212 deg so it will sit there awhile. Use aluminum foil on the head if you want it hotter.

http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html

As far as the sound, when it changes you'll know it. If you're still rich on the HSN needle then when you hit full throttle it will gurgle a little. That's fine as long as you're hitting the temps you need. Once it's broken in, then lean the HSN in small increments (about 1/8 turn), and run it for a minute or so until the gurgling goes away. After that, set you low needle. You car should be able to sit and idle for 10 seconds or so and then take off smoothly when you nail the throttle. After the high is set then test and adjust the LSN as needed. After you make a change run the car for a minute or so before you retest, it takes time for the engine to adjust to the changes.

It's always helped me to think of the carb as a funnel. The HSN controls the car at 1/2 throttle or so and more, but it's also the main supply (top of the funnel). So, anything you to to the high needle you're doing to the LSN (bottome of the funnel), just in smaller increment. So, if you richen the HSN 1/4 turn you've also richened the LSN a little b/c the high supplies the low. That's why you want to get the HSN setting close first, then set your low.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote