R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 28
Default new revo problems please help

so i bought a revo about two weeks ago and today i was driving it and all of a sudden it locked up, i had just adjusted the slipper clutch. now it wont even roll forward, i dont know what the problem is or what i may have broken. like i said it wont even roll forward and it sounds like something is crunching in the center diff. any feed back would be greatly appreciated. thankks,

jon
__________________
Revo 3.3
Nitro stampede
trx .15

brand new to r/c..
smithjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
jpalessi's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,747
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjeeps View Post
so i bought a revo about two weeks ago and today i was driving it and all of a sudden it locked up, i had just adjusted the slipper clutch. now it wont even roll forward, i dont know what the problem is or what i may have broken. like i said it wont even roll forward and it sounds like something is crunching in the center diff. any feed back would be greatly appreciated. thankks,

jon
you may have over tightened the slipper, and burned up some chit. take out the trans and look it over.
__________________
Joe Alessi
www.Lucky7RC.com
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Here is a tip, put that Revo POS on ebay and then go out and buy yourself an LST2. Problem solved
GotNitro? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
jpalessi's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,747
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotNitro? View Post
Here is a tip, put that Revo POS on ebay and then go out and buy yourself an LST2. Problem solved
LST2 he should just sell it and get out of MT all together!
__________________
Joe Alessi
www.Lucky7RC.com
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Tech Initiate
 
Squirt N Dirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjeeps View Post
so i bought a revo about two weeks ago and today i was driving it and all of a sudden it locked up, i had just adjusted the slipper clutch. now it wont even roll forward, i dont know what the problem is or what i may have broken. like i said it wont even roll forward and it sounds like something is crunching in the center diff. any feed back would be greatly appreciated. thankks,

jon
The only way is like jpalessi said pull out the trans
__________________
RC8 OS powered
RC8T
Squirt N Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
slaytanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,171
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default

It cracks me up that every new guy to the hobby goes out and buys an MT. THE HARDEST to work on and maintain out of all the choices! I guess they just look so cool. I remember thinking hmmmm Monster truck is for me it will go anywhere and never break. Oh that was a painfull year!
__________________
Team Epic
Team Terribles~Answer RC~Fastlane Graphics~Torco Race Fuels
XB808 Mamba Max Pro/Tekin 1900kv RC-monster mount and tray 4s
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 AM   #7
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 151
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

what cracks me up is u guys given a new guy a hard time. a MT is the most fun for bashing around. but u guys are just to cool for your own good.


u may have tighten the slipper to much and broke a gear in side the trans. pull the trans, and take it apart. cool thing about traxxas is the parts are easy to find and wont kill your wallet.
NOS2stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Tech Master
 
offr0aden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: An Offroad track near you!!
Posts: 1,097
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Could have lost a set screw in the trans and its lodged in the gears? The revo doesn't have a center diff. If you take the front and rear drive shafts out do you get the same sound when turning one the the wheels ... what I'm getting at , is maybe one of your diff's went out and when you roll it your feeling the diff gears grinding and not the trans?

Just a thought.
offr0aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
slaytanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,171
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS2stage View Post
what cracks me up is u guys given a new guy a hard time. a MT is the most fun for bashing around. but u guys are just to cool for your own good.


u may have tighten the slipper to much and broke a gear in side the trans. pull the trans, and take it apart. cool thing about traxxas is the parts are easy to find and wont kill your wallet.

Maybe you should read my post again Jagoff. I did the same thing he did. MT's ARE alot more maintenance and more complicated than a buggy or truggy. But they look so cool and that is why new guys buy them. I was not giving him a hard time so check yourself. If I had any experience with a Revo I would be more than happy to offer advice. They are alot of fun but for a person new to RC the learning curve can be kinda steep. I can't tell you how much money I sunk into my first MT trying to learn what I am doing. My LHS made a mint off me! Thinking back I wish I woulda started with something simpler. Have a nice day!
__________________
Team Epic
Team Terribles~Answer RC~Fastlane Graphics~Torco Race Fuels
XB808 Mamba Max Pro/Tekin 1900kv RC-monster mount and tray 4s
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 28
Default

ok, so beyond all of the bickering. yes im new yes i bought a monster truck, no not only because it looks cool, right now im a basher im learnin what i can and cant do, also learning how to work on them which is something i dont mind doing at all, parts are much cheaper than like lets say my atv, or bike. once i feel i can diagnose a problem my self and feel fully confident in my abillities as a "mechanic". also when my driving skills are completely up to par, i will upgrade to that buggy or truggy, then i will go to the track and hopefully do pretty well. so i guess i have to drop the tranny and open it up huh?
__________________
Revo 3.3
Nitro stampede
trx .15

brand new to r/c..
smithjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
jpalessi's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,747
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjeeps View Post
ok, so beyond all of the bickering. yes im new yes i bought a monster truck, no not only because it looks cool, right now im a basher im learnin what i can and cant do, also learning how to work on them which is something i dont mind doing at all, parts are much cheaper than like lets say my atv, or bike. once i feel i can diagnose a problem my self and feel fully confident in my abillities as a "mechanic". also when my driving skills are completely up to par, i will upgrade to that buggy or truggy, then i will go to the track and hopefully do pretty well. so i guess i have to drop the tranny and open it up huh?
Pull the tranny and see if the truck rolls.. if it does you'll know it a prob with the trans. Also check all the CVD pins, sometimes in the revo they'll back out.. I would always use a lil CA glue when i put the pins in.
You are new to this hobby, don't let the revo turn you off. I've seen it happen before.. 1/8 scale cars a MUCH easier to work on and maintain, and don't break half as mcuh as the MT's. good luck!
__________________
Joe Alessi
www.Lucky7RC.com
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
Pull the tranny and see if the truck rolls.. if it does you'll know it a prob with the trans. Also check all the CVD pins, sometimes in the revo they'll back out.. I would always use a lil CA glue when i put the pins in.
You are new to this hobby, don't let the revo turn you off. I've seen it happen before.. 1/8 scale cars a MUCH easier to work on and maintain, and don't break half as mcuh as the MT's. good luck!
Thanks dude.
__________________
Revo 3.3
Nitro stampede
trx .15

brand new to r/c..
smithjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
jpalessi's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,747
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi
Default

http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...l&cat=0&id=594

I found this really helpful when i was running revo. Steve Slaydon's pit pass always has good info. look around on Traxxas's site... it's great!
__________________
Joe Alessi
www.Lucky7RC.com
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice
 
akrider907's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara Ca
Posts: 51
Send a message via MSN to akrider907
Default

i had a pin back out of one of drive shafts and its locked up like that. It sounds like you may have broke a gear in the trans though. when the pim back out of the shaft it locked on and broke my ring gear in my rear diff also. So make sure you look over both diffs also. And welcome to the hobby its spendy so get used to that
akrider907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider907 View Post
i had a pin back out of one of drive shafts and its locked up like that. It sounds like you may have broke a gear in the trans though. when the pim back out of the shaft it locked on and broke my ring gear in my rear diff also. So make sure you look over both diffs also. And welcome to the hobby its spendy so get used to that
well after rippin it down that was the problem, one of the pins came loose i think the e clip fell off and the pin slid out it actually bent like 90 degrees. after replacing the pin it seems to be running fine, im lucky i didnt burn out something in the tranny. i also put a little super glue on all of the e clips on all of the pins on the drivetrain just to make sure it doesnt happen again. thanks guys,

jon
__________________
Revo 3.3
Nitro stampede
trx .15

brand new to r/c..
smithjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya TNX 350LS1 Monster Trucks 1092 07-08-2014 10:42 PM
Traxxas Revo Official Thread German Muscle Monster Trucks 7 05-14-2011 03:19 PM
Revo problems wildvan Monster Trucks 17 08-27-2007 11:59 AM
picco .26 break in problems please help! atebit Rookie Zone 33 08-12-2007 05:54 AM
TRX 2.5 problem, please help me kylehirano Monster Trucks 6 01-16-2006 12:15 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:39 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net