Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

i only had one sts motor and it was a piece of crap
Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well to play on the reasonable side with some experience here let me chime in.
I purchased an STS D28m a couple years ago for a Savage after a few users on other boards were having a good time with them, and for the price I figured it couldn't be too bad an experiment. The break-in was tricky as the motor was extremely tight and hard to turn-over...but once it wore in, the motor was a total monster.

I tried an RB TM28 and a Nova .28 and they felt in the same region of power, expect the STS was more explosive which was good for bashing while the other two were more simple to race. I put a couple gallons on that .28 and bought another for another Savage and had the same good results after a couple gallons. There were a couple updates over that time such as improved head and accessories such as pieces for rotostart.

I was so happy with these engines I ended up buying a 3rd that stayed in package just in case. Unfortunately I can't tell what those engines are like over 3.5 gallons or so because I basically stopped myself in the hobby since then.

Don't let anybody be fooled though, the motors of that time tended to be of great quality and maybe a bit or two got away from them and went bad, STS support at the time seemed to send out replacement right away. The team engines were impeccable in build, I mean....the internals of the D21T were downright gorgeous!

I have read soon after that though from many sources including the distributors in the U.S. that the manufacturer basically started slacking off in the production process and not paying the same attention to detail and also were no longer doing enough to stand behind the product. So from there, the dealers all pretty much dropped STS...which one would imagine didn't help them financially.....and we can assume from there the engine they offered 2 years ago are not of the same breed as the ones they offer now.......

Hopefully they have felt the hurting financially and gone back/will go to the previous ethic they had before.

So yeah...thats my thoughts on the company, was a huge supporter in the period I used the motors....but until they return to that plateau ....they don't seem worth it to look at.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

rofl............a thread I thought would have(and should not have) ever existed
Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Gotta agree with Sam on this one. As far as bang for your buck, you cant go wrong, and if your not racing for sheep stations (as we say here in Aus) then why spend a fortune if you dont have to. I have seen plenty (including my own) AXE cobra's go without warning, and they arent the only expensive top end motor's that have a bad day. Shit the Hobao Mach 21's are good value as well........ but since I now run electric it is of no relevence to me any way. Convert to brushless and feel the raw power of lipo.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

i gotta agree with SAM E on this one i just upgraded my sirio evo4 and my rb for a sts .21 its cool...... WORLDS DOMINATION BRO
aye SAM E?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the title is Hilarious.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:55 AM
Tech Adept

I now have werks,NRs,RBs and pre werks collaris. Got one used in a 1st buggy think it was B T 21 or something ran great. Cooling head was super strong. ,My werks b7 head broke three rings in the center below the body line got $340 in it now. The sts still runs great..For the money it's a good entry level motor that will leave money for good servos ,radio ,proper tires ect... that will help a newer driver more than a 300+ motor. It never looked stupid anywhere on the track even when I was starting out. Sponsored and A main drivers even commented they couldn't believe how well it ran.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

most cranks that break, break at the lubricating hole
just in front of the main bearing..
if it happens and the crank just spins around
without causing more damage
just rince, drop in any GO engine crank and race
it runs even better.....

Last edited by speedy2; 09-28-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Got me a new Nanda now, what a combo, Nanda coupled with an STS, state titles here I come!!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Sam-E
Got me a new Nanda now, what a combo, Nanda coupled with an STS, state titles here I come!!!!

is this supposed to be a joke....or ?
Old 09-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Nah man I will post some pics of my ride 2nite!!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

sam your straight in for the title, GO TEAM STS---- BEST MOTORS EVA aye bro
Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Tech Addict

STS all the way brother, I just gotta get Angelo to sponsor me now!!!

Does anyone know how many shims for running 30% in the green head Dragon, I wanna step it up a notch!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

i cant believe how good these are, Talk about WORLD CLASS,you and your STS were smashing all the NOVA's the other night. Im buying another STS now
Old 09-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitro rat
i cant believe how good these are, Talk about WORLD CLASS,you and your STS were smashing all the NOVA's the other night. Im buying another STS now
them nova driver's need to learn to tune i think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.