R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-24-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up picco glow plugs??

just bought a new p7r evo2. and im not going to put it in for a few weeks but i have a few questions for some of the more experienced guys. whats the best plug to use. i know to get picco plugs, but hot, medium, cold or standard or turbo. im not going to be doing any serious racing yet just racing w/ friends, bashing, and practicing until i enhance my skills more. another thing. im putting it in my 8ight rtr. and was wondering what the best fly wheel/clutch shoes/clutch bell/etc set up i should use. i need to replace the stock shoes, and decided to just replace the whole clutch system. cause i was also going to get a new clutch bell soon too? any info will be help and be greatly appreciated.thanx, clay unruh
1cougar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

i cant post new post's for some reason so i will just add to this has any one ran the racers edge turbo glow plugs if so how are they and will a cold plug work good in this motor
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Use only Picco plugs for the Picco/Jammin engines, their plug tapers are slightly different than other engines buttons..This is only true for the turbo heads though..The Picco's run best with hot, or medium plugs depending on condition
Old 03-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Tech Master

dam i just bought some odonell's so will they not work then
Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Tech Lord

Turbo or standard? They work..but they dont seal the button properly (turbo) the standards are all the same thread and seal..just make sure you get the right size some plugs are short, or long, or have extra long filiments
Old 03-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Tech Master

turbo
Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I run those same engines in my 8's. Med glow plugs (picco only) are good general application plug and run quite well. The engine runs quite well and is actually pretty easy to tune. Don't fool yourself there is nothing like actually racing to teach you how to race. Seams like all the practice in the world doesn't prepare you to race and understanding the race situations other than racing. Go to the track get beat learn allot rinse repeat.
As far as clutch setup I run the losi black steel flywheel, M2C shoes 2 aluminum 2 carbon. CB is a matter of track length the smaller the track the smaller the CB general set up is 14/48. Try various spring setups to achieve what your looking for. This is where going to the track comes into play. How do you know whats the right set up for you and until you go to the track and find out. Whats not working for you.
Actual track time is more like a process of elimination. You eliminate things that you don't like. Stick with things you do like make 1 adjustment at a time or you will get loss in the many adjustments that can be made. Never knowing what adjustment gave you what effect.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Use only Picco plugs for the Picco/Jammin engines, their plug tapers are slightly different than other engines buttons..This is only true for the turbo heads though..The Picco's run best with hot, or medium plugs depending on condition

X2...Picco/Ofna Plugs ONLY.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
Tech Master

i got the motor used its a p7r with a jammin head on it and the plug that it had in it was a od 97 t
Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaklet4 View Post
i got the motor used its a p7r with a jammin head on it and the plug that it had in it was a od 97 t
The Oddonel plug will work, it just does not seal the button properly..switch to Picco plugs when you can..they last awhile also, but they are big $$$$$
Old 03-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
Tech Master

ya big money i hope they last i just saw 2 on ebay for 9 bucks each i better go grab them befor any of ya do. also like how bad do they not seal
Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaklet4 View Post
ya big money i hope they last i just saw 2 on ebay for 9 bucks each i better go grab them befor any of ya do. also like how bad do they not seal

there's only A couple actual Turbo picco plugs on the bay....and they aren't any cheeper then buying from a online shop while you buy your other goodies.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Tech Adept

i've been running os p6 in mine with out any problems.
rawdawgga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Its funny how few people know that... I've bought two or three glow plugs until coming across a thread with the taper measurements and realising mine were way off. Bad thing is, Picco plugs are HARD to find...
spawn_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn_x View Post
Its funny how few people know that... I've bought two or three glow plugs until coming across a thread with the taper measurements and realising mine were way off. Bad thing is, Picco plugs are HARD to find...
NitroHouse stocks the Picco plugs; all day every day.

What is this "Picco turbo's are different" deal coming from?

In the past, there was no issue running anyone's "turbo" plug in any engine. I've heard no mention of this before now.

Link to a thread or better explanation? I understand what's being suggested, but would like to see some pics of the two plugs compared.