R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblgjr View Post
NitroHouse stocks the Picco plugs; all day every day.

What is this "Picco turbo's are different" deal coming from?

In the past, there was no issue running anyone's "turbo" plug in any engine. I've heard no mention of this before now.

Link to a thread or better explanation? I understand what's being suggested, but would like to see some pics of the two plugs compared.
yup i would like to see that also
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
NitroHouse stocks the Picco plugs; all day every day.

What is this "Picco turbo's are different" deal coming from?

In the past, there was no issue running anyone's "turbo" plug in any engine. I've heard no mention of this before now.

Link to a thread or better explanation? I understand what's being suggested, but would like to see some pics of the two plugs compared.

take 3-4 brands side by side and you'll see what we mean....we dont need to prove it to you....its a known fact.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
take 3-4 brands side by side and you'll see what we mean....we dont need to prove it to you....its a known fact.
I was asking because in the past (10+ years ago) I had run Nova turbo plugs in Picco's without issue.

I only have some RB/Sirio units and Novarossi on hand and they're measuring the same....

'Spose I'll get a Picco next time just to look at it.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

For the most part, any turbo plug will more or less work in any turbo motor. However, as perfectionist as we all are about everything else why would you go with something that merely works but isn't perfect in our motors?

The biggest difference seems to be Nova motors and plugs. Nova plugs WILL leak in OS motors. I have seen this many times. Yes the motor will run but do you really want to be running around with fuel bubbling out of the head? Everything that isn't Nova seems to be pretty close to each other but there are still some minor differences.

Put a Nova plug into a Sirio head (with the head off) and take a look at it from underneath. The plug will not be sitting flush with the head. It will not leak and runs fine but is this ideal? It's what I ran at the onroad nats because it's all I had and it's what RB told me to run but I would have preferred a Sirio plug.

The latest hot set-up in the onroad world is to use GRP or GRP/Ninja plugs in Nova motors. I haven't tried it myself to see how the fit is but many top drivers swear by it.

It's been years since I ran a Picco motor (though I will probably be running IDM Picco's this year) but back when I did they always ran best on Picco plugs. They would run fine with Nova's but Picco plugs just seemed to have a bit more snap and better idle.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Also, kind of funny that this guy posted this question six months ago and only now have people bothered to answer it.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
It's been years since I ran a Picco motor (though I will probably be running IDM Picco's this year) but back when I did they always ran best on Picco plugs. They would run fine with Nova's but Picco plugs just seemed to have a bit more snap and better idle.
As far as a Picco running best on a Picco plug...you can chalk that up to plug construction and heat "range" (not just plug number). As I'm sure you know, the center bore of the plug body has a large impact on how the plug itself reacts fuel. Larger being better for high load/offroad generally.

For those that are curious (I'll post pics when I can get the camera to cooperate)....I've just torn down a brand new Jammin'/Picco .28; turbo.

Came with 1-glowplug that is unmarked and silver. I'm assuming it to be a "Picco" plug. It fits the button and flushes out in the bottom of the chamber when viewed by the naked eye and under a magnifying glass.

I then proceeded to unwrap and install a new Novarossi "ultra" 7 (gold stem) and install it in the button. Same results, it sits flush and fits the bore just fine.

Did a general O.D. check on the thread diameter close to the top; they're both the same, though the Picco has maybe 1 more thread.

I'm going to use some Dykem layout fluid and see if there is any difference as to how they're biting into the chamber taper; but it appears there isn't any by feel thus far.

If someone would better explain why you "have to run a Picco plug" I'm all ears, because the Nova I have fits the chamber fine and shows no distress to the black oxide coated thread body when its been installed/tightened and removed and it flushes out in the chamber just as it should.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Quote:
I'm going to use some Dykem layout fluid and see if there is any difference as to how they're biting into the chamber taper; but it appears there isn't any by feel thus far.
That's a really good idea. I might have to try that sometime.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

sorry I should have meant local, none of the shops around me had picco plugs, I ended up ordering online

as far as the taper, yes it is different. there was even a thread somewhere that had measurements of the different turbo plugs in an attempt to create a cross reference chart.

also if you don't believe us you can call picco and ask them directly, they have confirmed to me personally that yes nova and others are not identical and will leak. I think sirio plugs are also the same as ofna's, don't quote me on this though it was 4 months when I was into this issue, naturally after buying a couple $$ nova plugs that I have no use for

I also had a picco .28, btw. I'll see if I can take a good picture up close of them side by side, but it might be hard to see on the pic

the seal on the bottom is close, but no cigar.. real close though, I wasn't able to tell right away either
spawn_x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I think over time, the factories figured out a way to force you to buy there plugs only so they make more money
Old 03-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #25
Tech Master

well i just ran it today with the od plug and it ran great for me today
Old 03-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

FYI..even though we are all saying Picco plugs only...other plugs do work as evident by yeaklet's expierience...also TEAM Jammin..uses OS plugs in their Picco's even though they dont fit right.. that's the truth..so use what you have as long as it's working for you..when you need more glow plugs..use Picco's only
Old 03-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #27
Tech Master

one thing also i saw was the high spped needle was kinda loose would new orings fix that problem
Old 03-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaklet4 View Post
one thing also i saw was the high spped needle was kinda loose would new orings fix that problem

Possibly...they will certainly snug the needle up.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i have the .28 from the lx one. Do use both washers i was going to get this plug.... picco 51007 (med)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGPN3&P=7
wantboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Picco plugs are the bomb ! I can't stress this enough... not only do they work and tune perfectly in the Picco engines ( better then any others ) they are also extremely durable.... seriously Picco plugs will last forever and take all sorts of abuse that will kill other plugs.... When I run a high timed high compression modified Picco I can't find any other plug that will survive other then a Picco plug... I am to the point that I wish I could run Picco plugs in every turbo engine I own as they work so well and last so long they end up saving you money...Sure they cost $12.00 each, but they will outlast 4 of the typical $5.00 plugs.....Anyways I am stout supporter of using Picco plugs in Picco engines...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote