Associated RC8 Worlds Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC8 Worlds Edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Tech Adept

bashers wont get into 8th scale brushless that much maybe a little but not much if anyone gets into them big time it will be more the hobbiest that just wants to add to his collection because a price of a lipo battery and charger and considering you need 3-4 battiers to always be running not ganna happen for joe blow

Originally Posted by R40Victim
You're in for a big surprise... When the bashers(you know, those guys that buy RC cars 10 times more often then us racers, and support the industry that ALLOWS you to race at all) hear they can have something faster, AND easier to deal with, you don't think those electrics will come to be a large part of the market? Like I said, you're in for a surprise.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There are more batteries for a nitro guy to deal with. I used to work in a shop. It has nothing to do with batteries. It's the noise the MT's make.

Talk to most new people and ask them what got them in.

"I heard one and thought they were cool."
Old 09-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

batties have alot to do with it when the cost of a good size lipo is 100+dollers
Old 09-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not gonna argue with you guys. Sure, motorheads like noise, but they like speed even more.... and when it's easier to deal with, well... you do the math.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You are right as well R40. Like I said, the noise get's them in. The speed will get them coming back.

And look at a racers cost, nitro vs electric in 1/8 scale.

The electric is more money to get into with batteries, motor, esc, etc. At the end of the year it's probably pretty close to even after the engines, glowplugs, fuel, etc. Just a lot easier with the electrics, just not the same feel.

Yes it would be smart for AE to release an electric, IF, and only if the market for them actually does grow. I'm waiting to see if it will or not.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Champion

The 8ight E should be available pretty soon. The Novak conversions have been around for a little while. The initial cost is significantly higher, but the convenience/performance of brushless/lipo is hard to beat.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Why does it seem that everyone that is into brushless 1/8 scale always falls back on the "its so much easier" thing. I for one like tuning my engine and finding that sweet spot where it runs like a raped ape. When it comes down to it, if you know how to tune its really not that big a deal. I know that most of my wrenching time has nothing to do with the motor, its cleaning, rebuilding shocks/diffs, replacing bearings that takes up time and all these items are the same for any race worthy electric 1/8 scale.

To be more on topic, why cant AE release a worlds car? just because it didnt win doesnt mean its not a "worlds edition" that would a "worlds winning edition"

end of rant.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

It might be smarter for them to make a "Pro Team" line, as a step above the Factory Team line, and only do them in small batches, annually; i.e. 2008 Pro Team LE RC8, with big bores, capture plates, aluminum upper, a tank that works, and maybe a couple other small things (optional 17T included?). That way, they're not diggin themselves an overstock hole, but at the same time, they are catering to the racers... and who knows, maybe a few high-paid bashers would want one as well.

From a company standpoint, releasing a "Worlds" edition would probably garnish a bunch of boo-hoos from the crowd that knows the RC8 didn't podium at the worlds. Concurrently, those who watched will know how strong they really were, and maybe want to shell a little extra coin for the popular upgrades. Most companies don't have the overhead, especially nowadays, to produce elite level kits en masse.

AE could sell out of 100 RC8 "Pro Team" yadda yaddas in a heartbeat. 500? Probably not.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by ruggydriver
bashers wont get into 8th scale brushless that much maybe a little but not much if anyone gets into them big time it will be more the hobbiest that just wants to add to his collection because a price of a lipo battery and charger and considering you need 3-4 battiers to always be running not ganna happen for joe blow
I disagree with you on this one, ROAR is already working on some general rules for a 1/8th electric class. I for one love the sound of nitro and don't mind tuning, but the idea of no more $40 gallons of fuel, clutch bearings going bad, and the inability to race indoor in winter unless you've got great ventilation makes me think that 1/8 scale electric brushless could really have a future. As far as initial cost it's no more than a nitro setup if your a serious racer. The Losi 8E or whatever it's called is $769 at my local hobby shop on top of which you'll need at least two lipo batts which woud be about $400 plus a servo $100 and a radio and receiver which is say around $275 for a good dsm setup. So total cost is $1544

For a similar nitro setup I'll use my 808 for instance about $600 for the buggy, two servos $200, my motor full mod extech .21 $469, radio and receiver $275, and the total cost is yep you guessed it $1544. Say you bought a cheaper motor and your still only $100 to $150 less than the lipo setup. You would easily recoup that money in a month of racing on fuel alone. As brushless motor and lipo technology continue and more and more manufacturers start releasing kits I think the class could really catch on.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I agree. I would be very interested in a non-choking fumes indoor 1/8th scale electric surge in interest. I've been eyeing the conversion kits for the RC8 for a while now but am leaning towards the B44 because the class is established. Right now I'd have to run the RC8E with the nitro guys and continue to deal with the eye-stinging, choking fumes. Don't get me wrong - I freakin' LOVE nitro but after several hours of exhaust inhalation I'm ready for a zero emissions option.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qmartin
I disagree with you on this one, ROAR is already working on some general rules for a 1/8th electric class. I for one love the sound of nitro and don't mind tuning, but the idea of no more $40 gallons of fuel, clutch bearings going bad, and the inability to race indoor in winter unless you've got great ventilation makes me think that 1/8 scale electric brushless could really have a future. As far as initial cost it's no more than a nitro setup if your a serious racer. The Losi 8E or whatever it's called is $769 at my local hobby shop on top of which you'll need at least two lipo batts which woud be about $400 plus a servo $100 and a radio and receiver which is say around $275 for a good dsm setup. So total cost is $1544

For a similar nitro setup I'll use my 808 for instance about $600 for the buggy, two servos $200, my motor full mod extech .21 $469, radio and receiver $275, and the total cost is yep you guessed it $1544. Say you bought a cheaper motor and your still only $100 to $150 less than the lipo setup. You would easily recoup that money in a month of racing on fuel alone. As brushless motor and lipo technology continue and more and more manufacturers start releasing kits I think the class could really catch on.
Thats all fine and dandy, but what about us folks that already run nitro. Say we use your example. Now we have 1544 invested, now we need to buy 400 in batteries, 90 for a conversion kit, 270 for the ESC and Motor which equals 2304. For the extra 760 i can get 19 gallons of fuel.

Plus the fact is, most people dont buy Mod motors because a 350 GRP, 300 os vspec, 400 RB66 BB are more then enough motor for most racers.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Exactly what said Bigedmond, I did run my 1/8 electric, one nitro guy was really interested in mostly for training purpose but the problem for a nitro guys it almost a start over, you need the gear for electric (soldering iron, connectors and other accessories) + large investement into one or two good charger and battery.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont know how this thread got into a brushless discussion but I'll throw my 2 cents in. If you want brushless go for it. I will get one as soon as it becomes the larger class. Untill then I will stick with nitro. I like the sound. I like having pit stradegy. I like running hour long mains.

I dont care what they call the car but I wish they would put out one. I want it in kit form with big bores and the aluminum top plate included. Those 2 options alone would be enough to keep me happy. I am in the market for another RC8 and I started thinking about other options purely because from a financial standpoint I have to buy a car then toss the shocks in favor of a $100+ set of shocks making the kit not so much of a deal as it once was.

But if their reading this and thinking about it let me also suggest new hinge pin holders with inserts in all 4 plates that would be a great new part that should be rather easy to make. I also wish they would do something with the caster adjustment. Those little inserts are nearly impossible to read. I would rather have to swap the whole block like a Kysoho then be at the track trying to figure out which of those inserts is the 14/16/or 18. Color code them or something please. Ive got good eyes and still have a hell of a time reading them. And while I am dishing out suggestions for my own health the way the steering blocks attach to the c-block isnt my favorite design either the Jammin set-up is much better with the locknuts even if the nut comes off the stud keeps the steering block attached and we wouldnt lose those little funny shaped inserts that seem to get gunked up with loctite no matter how hard I try to stop it from happening.

Wow I sound like I'm complaining but Ive had all the cars you can probably think of up untill the most recent to hit the market and I love the AE so much so I plan to pick up a 2nd one this winter to run next year.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I shouldnt have piped up.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PTP Racing

I dont care what they call the car but I wish they would put out one. I want it in kit form with big bores and the aluminum top plate included. Those 2 options alone would be enough to keep me happy. I am in the market for another RC8 and I started thinking about other options purely because from a financial standpoint I have to buy a car then toss the shocks in favor of a $100+ set of shocks making the kit not so much of a deal as it once was.

But if their reading this and thinking about it let me also suggest new hinge pin holders with inserts in all 4 plates that would be a great new part that should be rather easy to make. I also wish they would do something with the caster adjustment. Those little inserts are nearly impossible to read. I would rather have to swap the whole block like a Kysoho then be at the track trying to figure out which of those inserts is the 14/16/or 18. Color code them or something please. Ive got good eyes and still have a hell of a time reading them. And while I am dishing out suggestions for my own health the way the steering blocks attach to the c-block isnt my favorite design either the Jammin set-up is much better with the locknuts even if the nut comes off the stud keeps the steering block attached and we wouldnt lose those little funny shaped inserts that seem to get gunked up with loctite no matter how hard I try to stop it from happening.

Wow I sound like I'm complaining but Ive had all the cars you can probably think of up untill the most recent to hit the market and I love the AE so much so I plan to pick up a 2nd one this winter to run next year.
I completely agree... a new version with all that would have me getting a new one now my current ride has finished its life. Right now, buying a new car then the shocks has me wondering if i should try something else until it comes out - RC8 is my first competitive gas ride.

Point is, i would imagine they will do an updated version... for a first 1/8th it is an awesome car and ready to be taken a step further... and hopefully think through things like the castor bushings being easily identifiable, the steering block collets which are a great idea until they get full of gunk and so on. The plates with the dot inserts all round would be cool... for rear toe adjustment as well as reducing slop - the holes in the plates for the hingepins seem to wear really quick. Maybe even rethink the A B C D plates attachment and have a bolt and nut run all the way through as standard to make it more solid.

Of course keeping the things like the clutch system (I hate changing clutches, but RC8 is a breeeeze!), fuel tank held in by clips so its easy to pull out... the system for the wings adjustability. Oh, and the body shell... the stock one lasts!

So i guess a list of what would be cool in a version 2...

1. Big bores.
2. Aluminium top plate
3. Steering mod as standard.
4. Easy read/coded castor adjustment.
5. Hinge pin insert adaptors all round for inner hinge pins.
6. Steering/castor block attachment.
7. Rear hubcarriers upgraded for strength.
8. Big wheels
9. A bottle of Ryan Maifields skills.
10. Long nut and bolt through for diff cases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.