Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
RB .21 s3 fuel question >

RB .21 s3 fuel question

RB .21 s3 fuel question

Old 09-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike williams
well, i love it. runs great and it's not completely tuned yet. how do i determine it the (lsn)idle/air is to fat. it seems a little loaded when i give it gas, but seems good every were else. 240-250 f all day and i got about alittle more than 6 min on a tank...i'm wondering if i need the RB pipe. i have a dynamine 086 pipe. just wondering.
After you get her warmed up do this. Let her sit for 20 sec. then punch it there should be alot of smoke and she should clear out and take off. If she takes off immediately to lean. If she bog or cuts out to rich. My lsn is only about 2 hours from factory. Remember though thats my S3 and every S3 is as different as a finger print. mine runs great at 240 that does not mean yours will. Keep in mind this info posted here is general info it does not mean that thats how yours should be tuned or react. Remember your tuning mike williams engine not vladconnery's engine.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

230-240 is about right for the S3. If you can get Werks 30%, try that fuel as it really works well with RB engines. Once the motor has about 1.5 gallons on it, the top-end will go up and the temp will drop.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

p.s. im using Nitrotane 30%
Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm split on shimming. On some engines, they do the trick, on others..... not so much. I shimmed my S7 while moving up to 30%, and the darn thing wouldn't go above 215 degrees, and became a tuning nightmare. I have since removed the shim, running 3011 Byron Gen2, and hitting my 245-255 mark with ease, and very little tuning. My plug life is good, the internals have looked great on every teardown, and it runs as good as it probably ever will.

Experiment. Start with a shim, and if it works -- awesome! If not, take it out, or shim lower.