R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #16
Tech Master

Didnt sound like smack talk to me.Simply an obsorvation that the company that was in 80-90% of the cars in the mid to late 90s now holds 20% of the market.I thought the awnser would be obvious though.Theres way more brands on the market now that can match NR power & life span for less money.Going from 2 choises to 15 is gonna dilute the gene pool, simple math.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Back in the 80's and 90's Novarossi, Picco and OS were mainly around. Now Novarossi has many family members building engines. Novarossi, GRP, Axe Rossi and Sirio are all Rossi family so expect dilution of the Novarossi brand across the hobby.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesussaves View Post
Sam-E, read my post.. I did not once put down Novarossi. I said what’s happened, to a Co with such strong pedigree and craftsmanship..

What Point???? Tangent.
Nothing happened to them the just did not make it into the top 12, big deal.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Back in the 80's and 90's Novarossi, Picco and OS were mainly around. Now Novarossi has many family members building engines. Novarossi, GRP, Axe Rossi and Sirio are all Rossi family so expect dilution of the Novarossi brand across the hobby.
Andrea Rossi of Sirio is NOT related to Cesare Rossi of Novarossi.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

They, Nova, don't Sponsor top off-road drivers....

If they paid one of the Ryan's what they make now, a Nova would be there easy....

Why do we care? All the tops spot's are top because the went the Yankee's way and bought it.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

second at the buggy nats. Thought you guys said they did not sponsor any good American drivers.
CaseyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
Nothing happened to them the just did not make it into the top 12, big deal.
It is a big deal when Nova banners are seen all over the track and overall they are one of the most heavily priced and sought after engine brands out there. Don't make it into the big show, thats a whole lot of advertising time they are losing.

Nova has been a permanent fixture in many classes for a VERY long time, so to see them out of the final is a shock and to deny that is silly. That is like not seeing a Ferrari make it to the F1 grid.

I am a huge Nova fan, the very first engine I ever owned was a R12 Pixi...for me to not see them up there is sad. I hope they regroup and sign some deals with a new team to run their products, ever since Losi picked up their GRP deal Nova has been missing from the U.S. offroad seen. I was hoping Amezuca would have switched back to Nova but he went to Ninja instead just before the Worlds.

"Racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vain desire for something salt-like" - Peter Egan (Road & Track senior Editor)
jmcn r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #23
Tech Addict

I have had 1 and only 1 nova rossi motor in my life and will never own another one for a very simple reason: It was an absolute bitch to tune.

Before you jump on the "you cant tune" bandwagon. I know that it isnt saying much but I am pretty good at tuning motors the Nova Rossi was the only one I got tire of trying to tune.

My RB is a cakewalk when it comes to tuning compared to the RB.

Now is this why they werent in the top 12? No.

The O.S. dominates in off-road. Get used to it, when it comes to power, fuel consumption, smoothness ect... it is the best balance of everything.

Lets not forget this was the "Worlds". That means the best of the best.

Every one is making a big stink about the Hotbodies buggy winning. Hate to tell you guys the man who won it coulda done it with a OFNA LX1, for 1 simple reason His name is Hara. Need I say more.

O.S. wants the best of the best running there motors and guess what that is why they get the top however many outta 10 results.

Lets not forget most of those guys get handfuls of these motors for free.

So.... What should you care? Run what you want. Who cares what Hara, Truhe, Drake, Tebo or whoever runs. Cause guess what it doesnt matter if you run an identical motor, you will run nowhere near the same laptimes.

Its getting sad seeing the way you guys cant seem to figure this out in this hobby.

ITS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE, BUT HOW WELL YOU CAN DRIVE WHATEVER YOU HAVE.

Kyosho 777 WC w/ big bores, RB S5, ACE 1313 s., Air 357 t., JP-3
HPI Savage X SS, Axial .28, Hitec 5645 Steering servo
Nitro TC3, O.S. .18 CV-R
Associated RC18T, Brushless, Lipo
wes95_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes95_z28 View Post
ITS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE, BUT HOW WELL YOU CAN DRIVE WHATEVER YOU HAVE.
Off-Road racing is, at least in my eyes, akin to Autocrossing. It's short on course, big on talent. I've seen TONS of guys with mega-bucks setups getting over-run buy others running stock 250 dollar motors. It's the same way in AutoX. I can go lay it down against M3s and high-dollar SM cars in my Sentra, but it's all relative. Would I win in a drag race? Pfffft, NO.

Remember, practice makes you faster, not another chunk of change on some fractional HP gain.

JayL said it best -- until Nova throws the dollars into the hands of top-level drivers, it'll be hard to compete with the OS-funded racers. Same with RB, AxeRossi, etc. Great motors, no doubt. But hopeless in the hands of a lesser driver.

Associated RC8
RB S7, JR Z9100S/Z9100T(nuked, at JR for repair)/Futaba BLS-351

Futaba 4PK
Fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes95_z28 View Post
I have had 1 and only 1 nova rossi motor in my life and will never own another one for a very simple reason: It was an absolute bitch to tune.

Before you jump on the "you cant tune" bandwagon. I know that it isnt saying much but I am pretty good at tuning motors the Nova Rossi was the only one I got tire of trying to tune.

My RB is a cakewalk when it comes to tuning compared to the RB.
You do realize RB's are made by Novarossi right? The carbs are the same. Nova motors are among the easiest to tune motors on the planet. Perhaps you got a VERY rare dud. Everyone makes a bad one from time to time.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

I have a feeling the teaming up of buggy manufacturers with motor manufacturers is having a HUGE effect on who wins or runs what. Horizon-Losi-GRP... perfect example.

Quick example: In a recent race I ran an OS speed while Drake, Truhe, and team ran GRP, and they all flamed out except one,.. while I didn't flame out at all. I believe Novarossi motors are better than GRP's but because the Team Losi guys can get them so cheap, they all run them. Its funny, Team Losi left Nova for "flame-out" reasons, but now the GRP's are just as bad if not worse.

Give Nova some time they will come back... especially after they release this new motor I drove last night..OMG! The new plus-4 is really nice...! I'm not kidding. It was factory sealed so we couldnt look inside, but it was fast, smooth and never flamed out all night.

You cant say whoever win the worlds is "the best". Perfect example here is Xray's Josh Wheeler 3rd over-all qualifier, doesn't run the main because a tire fell off. Also its a numbers game... the more equipment on the track, the better the chance in the main.

Just some ramblings...LOL
Inside_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

The teams like Losi will tend to have to make some sort of a statement as to them switching major engine brands. Its more of a business thing at the end of the day on who supplies what, rmbr Losi selling GRP will need give the engines props fro mthe getgo if they dont want to hurt the sales.

The same relation can be seen with Mugens Ninja line being GRP based till now, where they have switched over to an O.S. base (which I just found out in another thread).

When Kyosho bought Orion even though they still distributed Sirio in the States, you saw a huge weight shift with many of their drivers switching over contracts to Orion motors.

btw can anybody clarify what Nova produces or designs for RB? I was under the impression previously that it was Sirio that produced a few pieces for RB.

"Racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vain desire for something salt-like" - Peter Egan (Road & Track senior Editor)
jmcn r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Some RB onroad motors and some of the cheap T-Maxx motors are Sirio based. All others are Nova.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

Default Everything change

everything change....Nova use to be on top...its like a wheel it rotate
heard a rumor this engine piston and sleeve are now made in taiwan...
claim italian.....no wonder why it getting cheap price.....beware about fake parts......
whiterice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

The bottom line I feel is the runtime that an OS engine has. The top pro drivers are all so talented and competitive that any benefit that they can aquire through a better performing product is a huge advantage. And as of right now I dont know of any other motor on the market that can match the OS V-Spec or Speed in run time and power. Sure there are faster motors amongst all the other manufacturers but how many are able to go 9 mins and beyond to a tank of fuel? Look at our current world 1/8 champ Atsushi Hara, I believe he was pulling 9 minute pit stops and that was one of the deciding factors in that race. Had Truhe and Savoya been on the same pit schedule there may have been a different outcome. But not trying to say anything bad about Hara, he drove a great race and deserved the win. Just my .02