Everytime I have to spend $100 on this beloved money pit we call a hobby
a single-bone ---- that's it?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Two things I've learned:

1) Blue Loctite actually tastes sweet.

2)Safety First. This hobby is expensive enough without hospital bills on top of it.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_B
Two things I've learned:

1) Blue Loctite actually tastes sweet.

2)Safety First. This hobby is expensive enough without hospital bills on top of it.

I never would have guessed about the locktite

Some other common ones I have had the joy of learning myself, when talking and reaching for the soldering iron at the same time skin will sizzle and turn white smells wonderfull too, tire glue in the eye sucks, when your wife's pipe flies off the car after like 6min. of running don't run out there and grab the pipe bare handed it's a bad idea and people tend to laugh.

And on an unrelated WTF moment, don't let older brothers throw steel tipped darts at the wall above your head, you might just end up w/one sticking out of your cheek .

P.S. Love this thread, thanks to the one who started it..
Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigsquidracer
owwwww i have done that way to many times. i hate it when i fix my kids micro-t and i leave the dog bones off. that little car sucks to pulle it apart almost to fix it.
I usually tear down with the intent of changing a certain part. Then once I've got it torn all the way down, I forget why I tore it down in the first place.

My first time racing off-road, I spilled half a gallon of fuel. Mostly on my hands. It felt so cold. This is the first time I've ever admitted that. I was so nervous. I knew what onroad nitro was like, but had no idea what the offroad guys were like, and had no idea how to drive a buggy.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

spray painting a body without proper ventilation and no facemask

result:
white frosted nose hairs and a slight high...
Old 09-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phixd
spray painting a body without proper ventilation and no facemask

result:
white frosted nose hairs and a slight high...
I moved into a townhouse and there is not adequate ventilation, so I decided I'd spraybomb a buggy body fluorescent orange, and that I'd do it outside. As soon as the paint started spraying, the wind blew it back at me. Ruined an out of production band t-shirt from the mid-90s.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:25 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

If you paint a body outside and it's significantly colder outside than inside, the window masks will curl up on the edges when you bring it back inside. Or they begin curling when you go outside, I can't exactly remember how it happened...
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Wink

Got to the track set up my new Folding table and generator(Honda 1000). Got it all unpack, set-up and all my racing gear layed out. We race out doors. I was standing there admiring my racing set-up. Feeling like the man!!!!!!!!!! That's when I noticed that there were people watching some gas car practicing and they had 3 Gray hounds dogs. Well you can see it coming now. The dogs get loose from the owner and run after the gas cars and chased it all the way down the 100 foot back straight. Well the car turn and the dog, well looked almost directly at me as if he knew we were just about to meet. The dogs feet start to try and WHOA up with out any traction. I tried to stick out my arms but the dog was not that tall so he just slid right into the generator and then the table with all my chargers and batteries and Touring car sitting on it. I did scream like a little girl but the dog just keep sliding. Long story short. I was left with a brand new Honda generator sitting on its side spewing smoke. Lipo's and charger and car stuff sliding across the parking lot and all I could do was say DAMN IT!!!!!!!! That was a $200 WTF moment for pitting at the end of the back straight.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
well here is 1 from my time on the mic.

I'm calling this heat race, car has a problem and the young man who was marshallin is trying to stop the car. guess his father taught him to block the pipe to shut it off. he burned himself and over the roar of the engines i could see that and he shook his hand when i sent this deusy over the loudspeakers

'hey you gotta lick your finger before you put it in the hole....i didnt just say that'.

sadly i could hear the entire crowd, pitlane and stand tryin to contain themselves. luckily it was last lap b/c some were doubled over in laughter.

R
Nice one.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Last edited by Ashley Cobb; 10-06-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

ahht he painting stories reminded me of one, I was about 13 and me and my dad were painting a new body for my associated 1/10 buggy, one color wonder; Neon Yellow. Backed mothers 2-3 i dont remember month old Jaguar Xj-8 vdp, white, out of the garage so we could hit the body real fast. got it all done went to bed, and then got my ass dragged out of bed by my mom the next morning, and out to the garage to see a nice overspray all over the hood, window and front fenders. wonderful, good thing it came off pretty easily
Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

How about putting decals all over your new lid, BEFORE you peeled off the Paint mask?!?! Did that once.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
How about putting decals all over your new lid, BEFORE you peeled off the Paint mask?!?! Did that once.
hahaha awesome! thats a great one. Atleast they werent upgrade skins huh?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

I forgot about this one. We were up in Minnisota for a buddys wedding and we brought our T-rex helis to fly, well the pictures are from a Ford fusion that only had 160 miles on it. We put the batterys on charge during the wedding rehursal. When we came out, there was a gleenish sluge looking stuff from under the car. We popped the hood and this is what we saw. It took out two chargers and two lipo batterys. Funny thing is, we pushed the car to the other side of the parking lot and parked a truck over the green sludge and called Hurtz. We said that they rented us a crappy car and wanted them to bring us a new one. They brought out a new expodition and refunded the money for the rental. We forgot about the engine being at temp and we put the batterys on it, and lipos don't like heat. Were still waiting for a recall on the fusion.

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 09-16-2008 at 09:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.