Search

your WTF moments in RC

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phixd
- learning to cut with an exacto knife away from your body... the hard way
- holding the tire bead back to put in glue, and the tire snaps back, splattering CA glue into your eye
- having an exacto knife roll off of your workbench and land tip down on your bare foot

I've probably had more stupid moments
just so uh, it never happens to anyone else
and for a good laugh...

ya ive had that happen but i was on a bar stool and the exacto knife hit my big toe and cracked it and bounced off, then my other foot stepped on it and sliced the bottom of my foot open. fun night.

ow my kid was hanging with me when i was rebuilding my shocks he opened one of them and compressed it in my face and a whole bunch of shock oil went in my eyes and mouth.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

this happened last weekend.

during a race i went wide on a corner and literally ran sideways along the mesh fence about 3m 1/2 way up the 3m fence.. thought that was preety cool at the time... after the race the marshal who attended my car told me i went between the mesh fence and the metal pole that holds the mesh up.... thought that was even cooler, but i wouldn't have been laughing if i had hit the pole.. bye bye front end.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've had plenty in my day, the one that ALWAYS comes to mind...

My setupboard is a 1" thick 26"x18" aluminum plate. It's big, it's heavy...but hey, it's flat. When I first cut it, I had a bunch of stickers that I was trying to decide which to put on, ultimately I opted for just one giant Rb Concept sticker, well I never got around to actually applying the sticker, and I went to pick up the board and move it a couple days later, and picked it up with one hand. thumb covering the sticker..bare foot...

Thumb holding the unstuck sticker slipped right off the board and she landed with a crunch, not only breaking my big toe and the one next to it...cracking 2 large ornamental tiles and chipped another.

that was like, 7 years ago... I still use the same board. Some people jsut never learn
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So im gluing my prolines for my matrix and i have a little excess run on the tire so i grab a CLOROX WET CLEANING TOWEL right away it ignited i was like WTF and reached for my pepsi and drowned my tire with it

so then i decided to mess around and squirted some into the container LOL THAT was awesome
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There is oh so many....

I was running 2wd mod at the Losi Electric Champs and forgot to glue the outside of my rear tires, and well both rear foams passed me on the back stretch the rolled off of the track into the woods.

Another time I cut my modified electric motor and put it in backwards, then as I gunned it right before the race the car rocketed backwards at mach 10! lol
Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
So im gluing my prolines for my matrix and i have a little excess run on the tire so i grab a CLOROX WET CLEANING TOWEL right away it ignited i was like WTF and reached for my pepsi and drowned my tire with it

so then i decided to mess around and squirted some into the container LOL THAT was awesome
It's actually the cotton. CA glue is exothermically reactive to cotton. I learned this the hard way as well.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
OWWWWWWWWWWWWW

which bit in the dremel (why do we even wanna know)?

R
cut-off wheel --- of course

luckily it was a ceramic and it shattered before doing too much damage
Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just love all the stories about CA glue. Here's mine:

Picture this--my wifes new, expensive desk.
Me gluing my 1st ever set of tires.
Foam barrier between the tires and the desk.
Bottle jams--pressed harder and then splash.
Swear words and then panic sets in. Lucky the foam barrier
stopped the glue temporarily, but the foam started smoldering
and smoking up the house. A 44 year old man running around
swearing and laughing and nearly crying because the wife will
end his R/C hobby if one drop ended up on her new desk.

Moral of the story--keep yourself and your little hobby in the basement
where it belongs.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I was about to go to the track for a long day of thrashing and I threw my buggy on the lawn and put my stuff in my truck turned around...... and the right front arm broke... this was an older buggy that i had way back in the day. but come on!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
It's actually the cotton. CA glue is exothermically reactive to cotton. I learned this the hard way as well.
Ooo fun!

Had an ESC catch on fire in my old RC10T3 a bunch of years back. Somehow the wires for the on/off switch harness got caught under the SxS battery and over the course of the race the sharp edge of the battery bar started cutting into the insulation. At first I thought the smoke was a blown motor, until a nice 6" fireball came rocketing out of the left rear bedside from behind the door.

About 2" of the on/off switch wire was just...gone, a $0.25-size patch of white paint inside the door was a crispy golden brown (seriously, if it was a marshmallow it'd been perfect), and when I took the ESC apart just for sh!ts & giggles I found out that all the little microchips on 1/2 the circuitboard popped like popcorn, oozing this white fluffy stuff all over the inside of the unit.

Lucky me, I'd just bought a new ESC that day and threw it in my toolbox figuring I'd plug it in for next week's race. Unlucky for my Old Man, he was supposed to get the ESC that blew up to put in his truck.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Driving 2 hours get to track realize radio is left at home.
During warm-ups i went full throttle the wrong way on front straight and complety broke two front ends before the A-main, boy was that kid mad.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Two weeks ago the wife let me take her car. I backed into and knocked over a big metal trash barrel. All I could think was pleaaaase don't let that be somebodies pit table!@!
ha that reminded me, at a parking lot race, i took a turn too wide and nailed a guys pit table folding up the left side legs, (it was a 5 foot table with tool box car parts every thing spread out on it) i stoped my car and watched with the guy that owned it as the table sat there up on 2 legs for a few sec,and right as he made a grab for the table,,, BOOM! parts and tools every where
Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

The one I seem to repeat is to take the whole front, rear, or center of the buggy off to do something like replace a knuckle or rebuild a diff or check something and put it all back on to find myself still staring at the dogbone or CVD still sitting on the bench thinking it would have been nice if those were in the car when I put it back together!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

We had a RC Pro series race at our track. I dropped off my car trailer at the track so a bunch of us could pit inside it to get out of the rain. I had my tent set up next to my trailer near the rear door. Sunday morning in the pouring rain, I'm backing up my still pretty new pick-up with the big trailer style mirrors behind my trailer to park it for the day out of everybodies way. I had to squeeze it in between the rear of the trailer and a power pole the trailer was behind. With those big mirrors, you have to use the lower blind spot mirror to see everything thats up close. Of course I wasn't using the blind spot mirror, I was more worried about the pole. As I was backing up looking at the wrong mirror, I hit the one legs of the tent and kept bending it backwards with the edge of my bumper. When it bent back far enough and bowed out, it snapped back and put a nice dent in the bed of my pick-up. So not only did I damage my truck. I caved in one leg of my tent I was using for the first time. All while the director of RC Pro is watching me in disbelief and then laughing when I got out of the truck. Damn newbies to racing.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

pull the end piece out of the mugen bottles or your hand gets wet.lol
the first time building an 1/8 offroad car i built all of the diffs only to find out the outdrives with the flat spots are for the center. i had one in the front and one in the rear, had to take all three diffs apart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.