Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #77
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Thats why I stay away from Lipo's too many horror stories
Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #78
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

first real RACE truck i got just a week or so ago. Never messed with R/C differentials or ne thing like this. REad that need to put diff fluids in the rear end, opened the main case, filled er up. Put it all back together with a feeling of accomplishment. I left the shop and was headed to town for something, thinking bout the situation, dawned on me that where i had put the fluid wasnt doin sheet, just slowin the car down if ne thing hahahah, had to go back, take the care back apart, drain and clean the oil out, then open the spider gear box, and start over hahah.
motoclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #79
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

first rc was a revo went to LHS and said tires swell up way to fast guy said np put 80wt in it said ok so i stoped by parts house and got 80wt gear oil changed one and said i will never have buy gear oil again well did not work to good lol
kj racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #80
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoclay View Post
first real RACE truck i got just a week or so ago. Never messed with R/C differentials or ne thing like this. REad that need to put diff fluids in the rear end, opened the main case, filled er up. Put it all back together with a feeling of accomplishment. I left the shop and was headed to town for something, thinking bout the situation, dawned on me that where i had put the fluid wasnt doin sheet, just slowin the car down if ne thing hahahah, had to go back, take the care back apart, drain and clean the oil out, then open the spider gear box, and start over hahah.

Dude that was the funniest post by far!! Just thinking about you filling your diff housings with diff fluid had me laughing for a good 15 minutes. It was so funny I called all my RC buddies and told them the story. That was classic! Thanks for that. You win!!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 AM   #81
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Two things I've learned:

1) Blue Loctite actually tastes sweet.

2)Safety First. This hobby is expensive enough without hospital bills on top of it.
3) Nitro fuel in cuts burns like a bastard.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:53 AM   #82
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Ok, i got 2. 1 Crazy on track moment 100 years ago back in 1989 and another, but an example of classic dumb arse, from a few hours ago.

Back in the day i used to race 1/10th electric off road before taking a ten year hiatus from RC (Y'know, college... women... alcahol...). Myself my brother and my dad used to race back in the UK and once a month our favourite destination was a club race in a huge stone floored gym. It had huge nets for seperating badminton courts that we pulled back and tied to the walls much like tied back curtains, then we would lay the track out with fire hose filled with sand and have wooden jumps dotted about.

At this point we were racing Tamya Falcons... heavily modified. My dads was the most tricked out with home made extended shock mounts and funky steering mods and a silly engine. Thing was a rocket down the straights and with our falcons we could hold our own against even most of the modified 4WD's (Shumacer CATs, Losi things and so on). Both me and my dad (there is a point to the back story here) would have some crazy battles. I could outdrive him and he would always have more speed and his set up better.

SooOOooo we were in the A final one fternoon and battling it out from the first bend for 2nd place. For about 5 laps i would find a way past through the infield and he would sit on my tail and power out on to the straight, streaking past me on the outside.

This time i swung out of the corner and he went past on the outside, right up against the rope. Just as he got past his rear wing caught on a corner of a net that had somehow hung out over the rope... and swung his car like a pendulum a good 8 foot into the air... then swung it back down with a sickening thunk. Meantime, i couldn't take my eyes off of it as it swung up and forgot i was going full bore down the straight and neglected to take my finger off the throttle. It was no good anyway even as i got marshalled back on the track, i had tears in my eyes from laughing.

Second... this is not actually something i wish to admit... but if it sits in someones head and maybe one day reminds them it's worth checking then it's worth a confession.

i have been struggling with the tune on my engine for a few weeks, a few other people have tried and came to the conclusion it's done for... it's a little old and about time it got put to rest. However i have been loath to entirely give up as it has good compression still and finances won't allow a new one just yet. So today i went to the track and spent the evening trying every trick in the book... fattening one end and leaning the other, then doing the opposite... i took it back to factory settings and started again.

I was sat looking at it and trying to get the brakes set up as i was getting annoyed with the engine and figured a break would be a good idea and concentrate on something else.

I twigged suddenly that the carb wasn't coming right out. Somehow when i renovated the brakes not so long ago i messed up the throttle EPA and knocked something like 40% off.

I mean... really. Talk about schoolboy error. I have rarely in my life felt like such a monkey.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #83
Suspended

True story....................

The paint ones reminded me of the guy that painted his body on the outside OVER the overspray film.
I overheard him in the pits complaining to one of his fellow newbie buddies that he was disappointed with the paint he'd used because it came out flat-looking, but I was busy and overlooked the comment.
The I went out to marshall the rookie class heat and watched as his truck flipped over and peeled back part of the mask, and his truck ran around the rest of the heat with a large flap of overspray mask flapping and paint chipping off it --- remaining heats of the day he'd finally figured it out and was running a clear body.
cracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #84
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

...when a brand new glow plug's coil pops out (after 5 minutes run time) and roaches your expensive italian engine's piston and sleeve. wtf...
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #85
Tech Adept

Overspray, overspray, and more overspray.

As a kid I painted my first r/c body. I was probably 11-12. And yes, I painted it on the outside. I was smart enough to put 2 pieces of newspaper down on the garage floor. I painted it blue with white dodge racing stripes. (Something I had seen on a dodge viper that I liked). After looking and admiring my job, I moved the newspaper and noticed there was a non blue spot on the floor. The rest was blue. Also, took a look at my mothers dark green honda accord. It had brilliant speckles of white that I hadn't noticed before. I swallowed back a minny vomit, took my finger and felt the 'textured' white spots leaving a nice streak of white that was wet on my finger. Best thing, she has never noticed...

but that was about 15-20 years ago.
Larks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #86
Tech Lord

Its Funny how we continue to do boneheaded things, even after years in this hobby. I myself constantly do things, or see things that make me think WTF? It's great that we can all post our stories and have a great laugh, but I know that none of these things are actually funny when they happen. Watching my brand new buggy burn down to the chassis is very funny now, but at the time I was torn between crying, and killing the first person I saw. The bottom line is that we usually pay a whole lotta money then, to get a good laugh now. Keep the stories coming guys, this is a great thread, and good laughs are hard to come by in todays crappy times.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Last edited by Ashley Cobb; 10-06-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #88
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

nice buggy...
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Last edited by Ashley Cobb; 10-06-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #90
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
...but I know that none of these things are actually funny when they happen....
seriously, it's really not funny when 2 local club racers go to the emergency room due to a NiMH battery exploding in their face as they were inspecting the car when it was running bad.

but it is good and funny to look back and laugh about it when they're back racing the following week with no major damage... and in the A-main
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote