Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #271
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm glad the RC biz is staying out of Television Commercial Advertising

or are they...
WTF Jammin commercial that reminds me of the Cheesy 80's toy commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VxAchRGmC8

Not dissing on Jammin cars, they're great on the track... and apparently in a warehouse as well
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #272
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've pulled a brushless Losi 8ight off the track before, thinking it had flamed out. I was halfway back to the pits before I saw the deans connectors through the window.
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #273
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Last edited by Ashley Cobb; 10-06-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #274
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

well i have another one...i was turn marshaling for a jbrl race and they just wet the track for the next heat..and I turn marshal fairly aggressive and went to get the guys car and as i flipped it over I slipped getting the entire arse end of my body covered in mud all the while the truck i just flipped went back upside down....another time i was pitting and stepped on the side of a small hill and tripped about 6 or so paces while loosing both shoes and having the entire drivers stand get a good laugh before the race

and last but not least...putting my diffs in my 1/8 backwards and also having the starterbox motor in backwards so not only would my motor not start but my wheels were fighting themselves
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #275
Tech Master

Not rc but two days ago, wasn't paying attention and I walked backwards into a customers pool. Fully clothed and cell phone in my pocket. "Idiot" (said in the voice of Napolian Dianamite) Took the battery out right away and put it in the sun for two days and she fired back up. Lucky because I don't have insurance on the phone. Now I do!!!

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #276

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

saw a 1st 2day. a buggy qual heat had just concluded, a racer apparently didnt have his spektrum failsafe set right (backwards perhaps), next moment a car goes shooting from the track entrance thru a crowd of people who scattered, jumped a drainage ditch, shot up into the air over another racer's workbench (luckily he wasnt there at time), into the rear cabin of the guy's minivan followed by a bunch of folks as if it was a smokeup bus tryin to get this thing to stop. and boy were there a ton of blackmarks and burnt smells in there. considerin how long it was reving b4 they could corral the car inside the van and shut it off, prolly smoked it. or at least hurt it bad.

always a 1st i guess

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #277
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

in a smokeup van!!!!i love it!!!!well,used to....

i had many rc's growing up.some i remember where a fat wheels jeep.it had tires that you actually blew up.a mountain man.it was in the display case next to what i am pretty sure was a kyosho scorpion,i remember asking the guy if it was waterproof.he kind of said yeah,but...so i said,no man can i like drive it into a pool then out the other side?i didnt get an answer.another was a little honda three wheeler.it had really cool tires but no suspension.it was also meant to pop wheelies all the time.i hated that.i finally broke the plastic front end.i was about 12 years old and had been spending some time at the local(10 miles away)hardware store.remember "hardware store".i tried to rebuild the front end with some all thread,roll pins and some springs.i dont remember if i got it to work or not but keep thinking about the "hardware store".
my first real rc was a tamiya hornet.i wore the tires out pretty quickly,but got over it cuz i "fixed"them.my dad and i went to the hobby shop to get some real tires,and maybe drive on the track.i remember the noise it made when i set it on the glass counter.Kitty,the saleswoman there,saw it and her eyes about popped out and siad "YOU CANT DRIVE THAT HERE!!!"i thought she just passed a whale!!,but was like ok,i need some tires then... yeah i "fixed"them with with some sheet metal screws!!!!they hooked up awesome!!!threw sparks on concrete,and scared the bejeebers out of the hobby store lady!!i am 35 now and still wonder how i survived this long.

well maybe im not a great story teller....
Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #278
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethklok151 View Post
yeah i "fixed"them with with some sheet metal screws!!!!
That's funny - Like something I would've done

My WTF moment was about two weeks after I got my first "real" rc car, a XXX NT and made it into an oval track EDM. Here is the intro: I used to race 1:1 scale sprint cars on a dirt oval. Then I had twins. Race car goes away and my house turns into a daycare facility. It's all good. A handful of years go by and I am driving to a small town near home and I see a hobby shop off of the highway with an offroad track and a dirt oval track behind it. Cool! I'll check it out. Sitting on the counter is a nitro sprint car! Whoa! That's cool!!!! I want one! How much are those? Oh, what else can I race on the dirt oval??? So I buy the XXX NT for the Eastern Dirt Modified class.

Three weeks later... I have TQ'd and won the main the first two weeks at my local track. I LOVE this sport and this Truck!!! I have since purchased a used nitro sprint car and I am having a blast running both classes.

It's Saturday evening and I am getting my stuff ready for Sunday racing. I fire up the sprint car and make a few trips around the driveway ensuring the tune is good and clutch is adjusted, etc. I then fire up the XXX NT and do the same. By now, a couple teenage boys have gathered at the end of the driveway to watch. They are pretty pumped! They want to see how fast it will go. I hesitate - for a split second - before agreeing to make a couple speed runs up the street. We lived in a country neighborhood with gravel roads. I made a simulated tight oval in the street. I made a couple passes and then came around the far corner, tires throwing rocks, and scream down the road. I am drifting toward the edge of the road. No problem, I'll get er back in the road before I get to the... Mail Box!!! A 4x4 post! That car stopped! Like right now! It didn't bounce backward. It didn't hit the corner of the post and go spinning off into the grass. No, it just stopped. Well, except for the front tires, shock tower, bulkhead, etc... they flew a good five to ten feet forward... My undefeated car lay in pieces the night before the race at the base of a 4x4 post...! WTF!!! So, I stripped the broken parts off, Threw everything in a box for proof of what an idiot I was, made a list and prayed that the LHS would have the pieces I would need when I got there the next morning. They did. I still have that truck!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #279
Tech Master

Ok, another one.

I was teaching myself how to hover a helicopter in a church parkinglot at night. One tank every night before bed was my motto. This was before simulators, and I only had a "ray's" manual to learn setup. Well I would crash every now and then, crash rebuild, crash rebuild, so on and so on. One day the pastor of the church came buy my house to see how I was doing. He said that he'd noticed that I was getting better with my helicopter. I asked how he knew I was doing this, knowing that knowone was around to bother. He replyed, "I know you're getting better because there are less and less pieces of the crashed helicopters in the parking lot"!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #280
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
"I know you're getting better because there are less and less pieces of the crashed buggy on the track and in the pits"!
Doug,
That's something like what Jess would say after I was done practicing at MHOR! Except he would be dissapointed 'cause I wouldn't be buying so much stuff up front. I have a bad habit of breaking those "unbreakable" lunsford turnbuckles at that place... And front arms, and ball studs...
Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #281
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Not rc but two days ago, wasn't paying attention and I walked backwards into a customers pool. Fully clothed and cell phone in my pocket. "Idiot" (said in the voice of Napolian Dianamite) Took the battery out right away and put it in the sun for two days and she fired back up. Lucky because I don't have insurance on the phone. Now I do!!!

How did you get out? I can just see you, swimming in circles for hours!
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #282
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Brad, that's messed up!!! But very funny for those who know Doug! Swimming in circles! LMOA
Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #283
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

he had a cell phone!duh,he just called for help!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #284
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
You like that joke, don't you? And yes it was at least 5 circles before I made it to the ladder.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #285
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
You like that joke, don't you? And yes it was at least 5 circles before I made it to the ladder.
Hey Doug,

You gonna come to the Finals? I know you can't race... but I'll have a pit pass for you.

And if you want to step up from that Losi you got rid of... I'm selling my Jammin buggy.

X1CR, No SBB's, the regular 13 mm shocks... (They still work better than most out there) but the chassis is almost new, got some spares including a set of new Kyosho front and rear CVDs, (direct fit and a little less wear) just replaced the aluminum dogbones and cups (those are actually Hyper 8 parts... less rotating mass than the stock center stuff!) with the starter box (getting a new one- that one really needs a belt... battery not included, going in the new box...) and a DX2 transmitter if you want. (No receiver) Have a few sets of practice tires, etc. It would get you started back up cheap... Hit me in PM if you have any interest. Otherwise it's going on Ebay soon.

The Jammin has quite a bit less required work and expense to maintain it than the Losi, turns almost as good, is more stable, and it's competitive. (Seems to me I remember Ron spanking you with HIS Jammin...)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote