R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-29-2008, 04:51 AM   #241
Tech Champion

I have a scar on my right wrist from over 12 years ago from cutting with a knife...

Funnily enough, I learnt to be more careful with hobby knives after that lol

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #242
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lol, when I was a real noob about a year and a half ago I had a 1/14th scale nikko that I had made a new battery pack for out of AA cells. I soldered it up, soldered on my connectors, stuck it on a variable power supply. now, i had heard of people charging their batteries at 3-4 amps (sub C's, although I didn't know at the time).

on they go, 4 amps at 12v (8 cell pack). I started it charging and it only drew 800mah. so I thought 'well, 2500/800 is about 3 and a half hours.'

2 hours later I was in my room with another toy grade car (a tyco 4x4 one that runs either side up) jumping it off my bed and over a small ramp. I heard a series of banging downstairs, like someone repeatedly slamming a door. I thought "i wonder what... oh dear...''.

I ran downstairs, opened the garage door, and a wave of vapourised battery juice hit me. I put my tshirt over my mouth and went through to open the door. I left it 5 minutes, and went back in. all 8 cells had exploded, leaving black dust everywhere. the cell casings had flown across the room and gone through coats, boots etc, leaving a trail of nickel gauzey stuff. the workbench? well...

black dust, gauze, half assembled batteries. I never found all the bits.

heres the thread lol: battery pack explosion
Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #243
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Yea, been there, done that, lol I used a 7.2 volt battery discharger on my 6 volt reciever pack, and as soon as I turned my back I smelled something burning. The discharge was too strong and my pack burst into flames., I was the first person to ever use the Fire extinguisher at The Nitro Pit, lol...Now I,m Famous, or infamous would be a better choice of words
Old 09-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #244
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

This is a great thread!

Note to self: Respect the Starter Box!

I've got one: I got into R/C with a T-Maxx (like many others). Less than two weeks after buying it new, I was out demonstrating its awesomeness to my girlfriend at a local school playground... I took my eyes off of it for a split second, at which point I hit, at full speed (45mph), the ONLY OBSTRUCTION in a 10+ acre park: the 4-inch diameter steel post that was for the half-court basketball rim. My T-Maxx 'bled' a nitro puddle like blood in a horror movie. Except for the engine and wheels (which threw themselves clear, into the grass beyond the basketball court) it was nearly a total loss.

When I think of expensive things now, I don't hear the "ca-ching" sound of a cash register in my mind... I hear the "piiiiiing!" of a $400 T-Maxx hitting a steel post, and remember the $300 it cost to repair it.

Lesson learned: keep your eye on the truck!
Mr.Maim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #245
Tech Regular

Back in the eighties.....before the the invention of long shorts(basketball length), I was soldering some packs together in my high school issued gym shorts(think John Stockton). Kinda tired and in a hurry....tinned the ends of the cell and the bar....went to complete the connection when the bar slipped off the cell and landed on my upper thigh. Holy mother of @#$%!!!! Had that imprint of a battery bar burned into my thigh for about 4-5 years. Lesson learned.

Thank You!!
Mr.Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #246
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok here is my 3....

1)Im a very large man 350+, because of this I am always a little paranoid about marshalling, so when I do I try and give 110%. Anyways, on the last race of the night a car flames out, I decide to play super marshall and run the car over to his pit guy, at which point I trip over a piece of tile and grab the fence to stop my fall which results in my shoulder getting dislocated and me having to go to the E.R. Thank god for insurance but it still cost me over $2500 out of pocket which sets my personal record at the most a rc race has cost me.

2)Put my buggy on my starter box, plug in my ignitor and I hear a boom type noise with some smoke coming out my exhaust pipe. Car wont start because glow plug is blown. Replace plug, reapply glow ignitor and same thing happens. Try a 3rd time and same thing happens. Finally lower my head in shame and ask one of the more experienced drivers what the heck was going on. His reply..... "You arent supposed to plug your glow ignitor into the 12v side of your starter box". Yup thats right I am not only a idiot, now I am idiot with $24 less dollars.

3)Just bought my first high dollar engine, a jp mod black .21 motor to the tune of $400+. Had it broken in for me by a more experienced driver. I get everything hooked up and installed into my buggy. I am so excited I cant even describe it in words. I heat it up throw it on the starter box and prime it but it wont start. I prime it some more and it still wont start. I turn around and start cussing saying in not so nice terms, I spend $400 and i still cant get a decent engine. At that point my wife who never has ran a rc car says..... "On that motor you dont need the red thing plugged into the top huh?" At which point I install glow ignitor and have never ever had a problem with that engine since.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #247
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maim View Post
This is a great thread!

Note to self: Respect the Starter Box!

I've got one: I got into R/C with a T-Maxx (like many others). Less than two weeks after buying it new, I was out demonstrating its awesomeness to my girlfriend at a local school playground... I took my eyes off of it for a split second, at which point I hit, at full speed (45mph), the ONLY OBSTRUCTION in a 10+ acre park: the 4-inch diameter steel post that was for the half-court basketball rim. My T-Maxx 'bled' a nitro puddle like blood in a horror movie. Except for the engine and wheels (which threw themselves clear, into the grass beyond the basketball court) it was nearly a total loss.

When I think of expensive things now, I don't hear the "ca-ching" sound of a cash register in my mind... I hear the "piiiiiing!" of a $400 T-Maxx hitting a steel post, and remember the $300 it cost to repair it.

Lesson learned: keep your eye on the truck!

Oh, God. My girlfriend would make fun of me for years.
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #248
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MoparRules Send a message via Yahoo to MoparRules
Default never drive with out a roll bar on a MT

well i was driving my savage after piecing it back together from the last major crash. but since i got the XL chassis conversion, the roll bar didnt work

so anxious to drive my truck, i take it to the BB court and start ripping. then i take it across the street to the baseball field and start fooling. then i go to jump across the street because the baseball field sits lower than the road, and i forget the key factor; hitting the brakes in the air flips it.

so i land on the motor, sent the CB through the brake disc and ripped a hole in the tranny. sat there upside down WOT for 5 mins with the CB jamed up against spur so i need a new clutch...

all could of been avoided with a roll bar.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #249
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparRules View Post
well i was driving my savage after piecing it back together from the last major crash. but since i got the XL chassis conversion, the roll bar didnt work

so anxious to drive my truck, i take it to the BB court and start ripping. then i take it across the street to the baseball field and start fooling. then i go to jump across the street because the baseball field sits lower than the road, and i forget the key factor; hitting the brakes in the air flips it.

so i land on the motor, sent the CB through the brake disc and ripped a hole in the tranny. sat there upside down WOT for 5 mins with the CB jamed up against spur so i need a new clutch...

all could of been avoided with a roll bar.
WOT for the 5 minutes ay
LogiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #250
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogiK View Post
WOT for the 5 minutes ay
upside down, without a clunk tank, WOT 5 minutes......no wait I mean 3 minutes........no wait I meant to say 2 minutes........Ok it was more like 5 seconds....but it really sucked, lol hope u got er up and running again Mopar, and we know you didnt really mean 5 minutes, but I'm sure it felt like hours at the time
Old 09-30-2008, 02:38 AM   #251
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MoparRules Send a message via Yahoo to MoparRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
upside down, without a clunk tank, WOT 5 minutes......no wait I mean 3 minutes........no wait I meant to say 2 minutes........Ok it was more like 5 seconds....but it really sucked, lol hope u got er up and running again Mopar, and we know you didnt really mean 5 minutes, but I'm sure it felt like hours at the time
well i didnt have a watch at the time. so im sure i over exaggerated the time a little but it did feel like an eternity.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 AM   #252
Tech Champion

It was early one morning at a carpet race and I needed a wake up call, a friend of mine had some coffee in a flask but I had no cup.

I looked around in my pit box and found a see through container I had cotton buds in, never mind I though, it's not a cup but it will hold the coffee, job done....

I handed him the container and we proceeded to fill it over our pit tables, but failed to realise it had serveral holes in the bottom

I've never known 2 guys move their car, cells and charger so quickly....
Luckily nothing got damaged but I spent 10 minutes clearing 2 pit tables

Oh and I never got to see any coffee either....

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #253
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to zardoz Send a message via AIM to zardoz Send a message via MSN to zardoz Send a message via Yahoo to zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Y'all are killing me. I don't see the relevence of this... I'm sure most of us (racers) wouldn't win any beauty contests.
I'm with you there!!
AE RC8T FT
Team Holy Rollers
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #254
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to zardoz Send a message via AIM to zardoz Send a message via MSN to zardoz Send a message via Yahoo to zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03racefan03 View Post
Seen the same thing, but with a tire instead of a pinion.

Also, how many times have you seen the guy that busts an a-arm, knuckle, ect. and keeps on truckin to finish the race w/a dirt diggin 3 wheeler
Been there, done that, and won the race scary enough!
AE RC8T FT
Team Holy Rollers
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #255
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A few years ago when I was just bashing with a 4-Tec in a school carpark my Grandpa asked if he could have a go. Foolishly I said ok, just be careful not to crash it.
The first thing he does is slam the throttle down and holds it, it goes full speed into some tree roots, does about 2 front flips and flys up onto a rubbish bin. It was wrecked.