R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only problem I have found with the Picco Line was that run time was not very good with that engine, you were struggling to get anywhere close to the P5's run time. The engine was strong for 6 gallons though too bad all of my races go into 30-45 min, so not making it a extra 30 seconds cost me a couple of times the last season. Big thing with the picco is watch out for the rod, the engine was tight for almost 2 gallons and what killed my last one was the conrod started chipping away and got metal in it. I am having the same problem at the moment trying to deside to go with old reliable or join the crowd. P5 or V-spec. Only thing keeping me away from V-spec is the unknown reliability of the engine past the 3 gallon mark. My old p5 is still going after a pinch after dirt got into the engine, running strong on gallon 6.
Jammin_Xtream49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i would suggest to go with a ninja MR .21 (THE OLD VERSION) is a great motor easy to tune and you get great mileage out of it , you could grab one from amainhobbies for $289 , vspec problem is bearings and pinch , my friend went thru two of them already and a the last one broke the connecting rod , good luck on your motor search journey
SAVOX SERVOS 1268MG HV , 1267MG HV
turboxrayt1fk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The first V-Spec I damaged being an idiot and can't blame the engine. The second was still running in my truggy and has about 3-4 gallons on it now. Pinch is ok, but not great, even though the motor still runs pretty good. Mark from Powerhouse Performance recommended the P5XS as being one of the best all around motors that would have good power, run times, and last a long time at a reasonable price. I run the Nova 9886 high RPM pipe with it and was surprised how much more power it has compared to the 3-4 gallon V-Spec. I think V-Specs still run well and hold a tune with minimal pinch, they just aren't making the power they did when new. The P5XS combo in my 8T works great. I liked it so much I bought another one for my buggy with the Dynamite 086 pipe. I ran the OS 2050 pipes with my V-Specs, they are expensive, but get great run times. The power delivery is a like a light switch though. You need a controlled finger with that combo and a Losi and I don't have it yet. I like the P5XS much better, it's smoother down low with the 9886 pipe. Run times might be a bit less with the Novarossi, but to be honest, I haven't leaned on it that much yet. It's still pretty new and I'm pitting after 6 minutes with plenty of fuel left. I have only run 20 minute mains so far with it and I'm not going to try and get 10 minutes at our track , so I have to pit twice anyway. So far I'm very impressed with the ease of tune with the P5XS and the power. I hope it last the 8-10 gallons people say they will.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie22

Yea i vspec start out good but when i got around 4 gallons I started having problems left and right. I picked up a werks b3 pro and had it modded, nice little motor so far

Badrc.com / Rc mania
Jamie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Been reading alot of other threads on the vz-b and pinch problems. Looks like some get a good one (6 or so gallons) or some only last two or three gallons.
My lhs has a vzb in stock and I can get it for around $280.00 out the door.
It looks to be the newest version of the engine too.
There is no way the boss is going to let me buy another engine next year and I went through about two 1/2 gallons this year so far (stated late). I know engines wear on how they are broken in and tune,but I have to be sure I get at least the rest of this year and all of next year form it.Hmm
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yea v spec do lose pinch but they still run great without it the less pinch the better almost and the old block did crack , but the new design does not. most around alabama get 5- 10 gallons according to how good you take care of it
burnettk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #22
Tech Lord

If you just have to get more then one full season from a motor then a Novarossi based motor will be the most reliable by far. So again, RB S3 or S5 or the Nova P5. If you get a few extra bucks, have someone modify them for more power. An S3 will scream with a worked over crank and a significant raise in the exhaust port.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Novarossi N21BF 3 port $189 will last forever and get excellent mileage. A v-spec is also 3 port
Hixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What about the odonell super sport?
TTREB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Let's not get the term PINCH missunderstood, the lsat thing you want in your motor lasting for a long time is Metal Pinch. The term compresion is what is correct. Yes the OS does not maintain the compresion rate other engines do, but they keep going.

On a small track like you speek of, your OS will last longer than it would if you where running on large tracks with huge straits and 45 min a mains. There's a reason people keep going back to the OS, they are solid performers and tune easy. And if you do your looking around you can find them less than a NR. But with that said the 08 P5XS is a great mill, always has been. Good Luck.
615-838-5373
mugenb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have experience with these 3 and this is how I would rate them

1 Vspec
2 nova P5x
3 Jammin 21

all are good motors. for 200 the jammin is a good motor its basically a picco.

I don't think you really can go wrong with either 3
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Ok, I will substitute compression for pinch and use the right terminology. I said in an earlier post that the motor lost compression earlier, but still runs great. Is that due to the O.S. carb? The V-Spec is easy to tune and seems to idle forever. It still runs great, I will keep it as a spare. If the Nova's don't work out, I may try the V-Spec again with the 2060 pipe.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

for 260.00 you can get a rb s7 l2g. the engine is awesome. I have one and have had alot of other engines including 2 vspec's, I hated those engines. I couldnt get over 2 gallons out of them and all pinch was gone and would flame out all the time after 5 minutes. But I have seen other guys have good success with them. The p5 is a good engine. I found it to have great power everywhere, but dont ask me why but I had a hard time tuning it. Now my rb. This is my first rb engine. I have heard for years how good they were but I didnt buy into it. Wish I did a long time ago. this has been the best engine I have owned. It broke in very easy. It has great power and still has great pinch at almost 3 gallons. I have had a few flame outs as of late but that could be to my rc8 fuel tank not the engine. If your on a tight budget you need something that is going to last a while. Im in the same postion as you, my wife is a fulltime nursing student so money for rc has gotten really tight. I would go rb all the way
Old 09-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Went with the RX21P5XS . I was able to get one for 265.00 shipped. I do like the rb s7 too (a few people at my track have them) but this was too good of a deal to pass up. I don't know if the problems with the vz-b is just because so many people have them...but I did not see too many people having problems with the p5. Is the jp1 going to work at all with this engine? It looks like I need a top end pipe.
Thanks for all the help.

btw . I went with the mbx5 tank in mine. The new tank cracked too.
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #30
Tech Lord

Great choice. It should do fine for you.

JP1 will work pretty well. For the ultimate in power find an 086 or 053.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote