R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

I must have Off Days everytime I go to the track. Check the section before the flipped vehicle, if it is safe to enter that part of the track, get to it quickly (in the case of a nitro vehicle) grab the wing mounts and twist making sure to place it properly on the wheels, check your surrounding, get back to your spot.

Another thing I have learned is to have your back to the traffic and have your heels off the ground incase a car hits you, and in most cases the car will not hurt you and the car wont be damaged.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Someone had the bright idea at our local track to make seating (bench style) the right height so it's too tall to sit comfortable on but feet still touch the ground... end result is you can rest up against them for 20+ minutes but you can't quit sit comfortable. Works a treat on the outside of the track.

Anyone that has marshalled a 45 minute pro race will know where i am coming from when i say there are times when sitting down while marshalling is the right thing to do.

As a rule though, everyone loves a marshal that's prepared to hustle.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:40 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i just hate marshals that watch the race instead of their corners or section. that is my biggest hate as for tipping it over it all depends on the location and traffic levels at the time
v1r killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I hustle, and i'm not bending down out of your way because my knees don't like it, i wear gloves, i don't pick up the high revver's, and i try to place the guy who started the pile-up last, if he didn't crash he might not have gotten in everyone else's way. I do toss car's too the downside if i'm close because usually the face is very loose and they'll take 30 second's to climb it.
Now when i'm driving i rev to get your attention and then lay on the brakes, i try hard and so should you.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #20
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowtaco View Post
what about marshaling in the middle of the track?? should you stand up or kneal down so the drivers can see around you??
If they can't see around me because I'm standing either the marshal spot is a bad location, the drivers are terribly slow, or too blind to be racing RCs. I'm definately not kneeling.
cracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #21
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbelden View Post
I hustle, and i'm not bending down out of your way because my knees don't like it, i wear gloves, i don't pick up the high revver's, and i try to place the guy who started the pile-up last, if he didn't crash he might not have gotten in everyone else's way. I do toss car's too the downside if i'm close because usually the face is very loose and they'll take 30 second's to climb it.
Now when i'm driving i rev to get your attention and then lay on the brakes, i try hard and so should you.
+1
Old 09-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Thumbs up

WOW! Thanks for all the input guys. I had a situation at the track saturday that had me feeling a little mixed. And most of the time I do just flip over the ride, I am a very serious racer and I just want to do the right thing. I dont expect any less from anybody else.
And if I do mess up and any racer has anything to say I will own up and say im sorry on the spot. still It doesnt make up for a lost position, but everybody makes mistakes. We just need to keep that to a minimum.
And I have off days just about every time i go to the track. and I appreciate all the effort that good marshals give. but you know how it is. if you didnt crash you wouldnt need marshals.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

FIFO vs. LIFO... there is, ideally, a simple rule that everyone should follow:

- If the second car to crash does so independently of the first car, marshal the first car first. Even if that means going past the second car to get to the first car.

- If the second car to crash does so BECAUSE of the first car, marshal the second car first. Then right the first car.

There are people who disagree, considering the first car "part of the track" once it has crashed, but I can't go with that point of view.

If a marshal is right next to the jump face beyond the wreck position, it's a good idea to correct the car to the downslope. It's a cleaner way to get going, and as someone mentioned it can be difficult to get up a face (particularly inside a jump set) without momentum.

However, you generally shouldnm't marshal a car to a position more than arm's reach from you. While you have good intentions and are trying to help the driver, if you toss the car there's always a chance that it will flip or bobble. If you run the car to the target location, I guarantee the car under its own power can get there faster than you.

Only the RD should designate seated marshalling positions, and do so based on visibility requirements. I place two types of markers... buckets and bucket lids. Either way, "on" it is the marshal position, not next to it. Only those spy enough to quickly rise from a seated position should be sitting on the buckets.

Just my way, but it's the only way at my track
pgaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
WOW! Thanks for all the input guys. I had a situation at the track saturday that had me feeling a little mixed. And most of the time I do just flip over the ride, I am a very serious racer and I just want to do the right thing. I dont expect any less from anybody else.
And if I do mess up and any racer has anything to say I will own up and say im sorry on the spot. still It doesnt make up for a lost position, but everybody makes mistakes. We just need to keep that to a minimum.
And I have off days just about every time i go to the track. and I appreciate all the effort that good marshals give. but you know how it is. if you didnt crash you wouldnt need marshals.
Sorry to hear about your "situation" but we've all had them from time to time.
But I always refer to what an old salty dog told me back in my rookie season when I questioned what someone did marshalling my car, and find myself repeating it at least once a year --- if you don't wreck you don't have to worry about who marshalls you or how they do it, if you do a lot of wrecking plan on getting all sort of results, but the best thing to do is just be thankfull someone's out their flipping you over 'cause otherwise you'd get plenty winded just climbing up and down the driver's stand.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
Sorry to hear about your "situation" but we've all had them from time to time.
But I always refer to what an old salty dog told me back in my rookie season when I questioned what someone did marshalling my car, and find myself repeating it at least once a year --- if you don't wreck you don't have to worry about who marshalls you or how they do it, if you do a lot of wrecking plan on getting all sort of results, but the best thing to do is just be thankfull someone's out their flipping you over 'cause otherwise you'd get plenty winded just climbing up and down the driver's stand.
Thanks craka, But I was the one who offended another driver with my marshaling. You live, you learn, you race till your fingers hurt. Then do it again next week. Man I love this stuff!

B5M- viper-rc/Hitec/avid/schelle/mip/protek-rc/lunsford
T5m- viper-rc/Hitec/avid/schelle/protek-rc/lunsford
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote