R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default The After Run Oil Theory

Ok so i been going to the rc track quite a bit lately. Everytime i go i ask as many people possible if they use after run oil. It seems at my track hardly anyone uses it. They say since they run every weekend there is no sense in doing it. I dont see what it can hurt. How many people actually do it after every run?
Spectrum Radio
ClayKann101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i do......religiously.....

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to car6694 Send a message via Yahoo to car6694

I do, just because it is cheap insurance. When I ran a dirt track race car (not RC) I would always run top end lube in the fuel. However if you live in a relatively non-humid climate, it is less needed then if you live somewhere where humidity is always high.
car6694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Do it. Some fuels have better oils than others but if you leave unburnt alcohol in an engine (impossible to get it all out every time) then rust will eventually form on the bearings and crank.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Allumina

Do it, end of story. If your being cheap about it, pick up a small tin of Marvel Mystery oil from the local hardware or automotive store, its the same stuff just cheaper. Some people claim the fuel they run has enough lubrication to forgo the afterun oil process but I say this is bunk since the majority of that oil load is spent in the combustion process, and there is no way it can leave your engine with the same thorough douching of oil. Like the guy above me said, we run top end lubricant in the methanol in our sprintcar, it's cheap insurace- that alky is some corrosive sh*t
Allumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
Tech Addict

You'll probably find a lot of people don't use it because they don't want to run the risk of dirt getting in there motor from removing the lines or glow plug.
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I agree with Soapy. I use it but not unless I have Nitro Blast to clean out the cooling head, or I will wait till I get home to get to the air compressor first. You never want to take the glow plug out, and risk all that dirt falling right on top of your piston. When in a pinch though, and if I think it may be a few days until I can clean my car and put in some oil, I will take off the header, and put a few drops on top of the piston from the rear exhaust.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i only use it when i know im not going to race the next weekend or run during the week.

it is great insurance though when i go through about 4 gallons i need a new bottle
Old 09-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just add it through the carb slowly while turning it over on your bump box .you leave your glow plug in.
I run boats and we use WD40 first "WATER DISPACMENT FORMULA 40" then after run home brews.
I found my daughter couldn't pull start hers on marvel so I mixed her some
WD40 50/50 w marvel and that what i have been using since unless i'm puting it away long term. Tranny fluid is perfect too, ever pull a 20year old tranny apart w 200,000 mi on it ... bare steel inside like the day it was made as far as rust that is.
Air tool oil good too nice little bottles with flip spout caps.
After run would use them but they want you to loose that little cap.You can even get marvel air tool oil.

Zoom oil is a turbine oil (as in turbine engine) that clings tight to metal even though it's very thin can be had at most hardware stores and very well might be perfect for almost all RC needs. In a small squeeze bottle with long thin extendable tube to lube difficult to reach areas without making a mess. About the same properties as mobil one
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

When i first started out i used it pretty much every time i ran and i got 10 gallons out of that motor. Nowadays i don't use it as much and i haven't had a motor get me more than 3 gallons. I'm getting ready to go back to my old ways.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have an engine pinching side business. I can always tell the engines that have been after runned. Nice and clean rear bearing. I use Yamalube engine fogger in my engines.

I got 99 problems, but a b!#ch ain't one!
Geo Y-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Well see the guy that had my buggy before didnt run after run oil since he ran it just about every weekend, it has 3 gallons thru it hopefully it holds together i put WD 40 in the glow plug and thru the carb.
Spectrum Radio
ClayKann101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Guys DO NOT use WD40 if you have the silicon putty for your lightened crankshafts. WD40 eats it
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:24 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

Default After run oil

hey all,

i have the luxury of oil analasis at work and so i took some after run oil in and got it broken down.............interesting result....99.4% Parafin Oil.

Parafin is $4.50 for 250ml at the chemist.......

Something to think about.
cusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusco View Post
hey all,

i have the luxury of oil analasis at work and so i took some after run oil in and got it broken down.............interesting result....99.4% Parafin Oil.

Parafin is $4.50 for 250ml at the chemist.......

Something to think about.
you sure bout that?does that mean,its the kerosene?that would be possible,no one ever comes to think of that bro.
nelspore is offline   Reply With Quote