R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Nomadio Sensor

ok so i was wondering which radio is better the Nomadio Sensor (not the one with really small screen the tall one with backlit screen) or the DX3R?

X1 CRT,Werks .28 B7 teamline,JP-3,DX2
jlinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinds View Post
ok so i was wondering which radio is better the Nomadio Sensor (not the one with really small screen the tall one with backlit screen) or the DX3R?
I personally use a Nomadio Sensor. I have not tried the DX3R but I know many racers who use them.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a radio. If you need a large backlit screen and large text to relay telemetry readings (temperature, voltage, etc) then the Sensor would be a better bet.

If you don't need that - the DX3R would suffice but personally I would get the Nomadio React over the DX3R. The Nomadio DSM system has an insanely fast response time.

All of these radios are lighter than most radios considering they operates on 6v. Great for long nitro mains. The sensor is the heaviest of the 3 due to its larger size and large screen bolted on. The DX3R and Sensor are exceptionally lightweight especially when paired with a 2s LiPo battery. (Note, 2s LiPo transmitter batteries MUST be used with a 6v voltage regulator or you will damage your radio).

DX3R Pros:
Lightweight
Cheaper
More common/easy to find spare RXs

Sensor Pros:
Backlit Screen
Faster response time
Built-in telemetry system
Superb quality/customer service
Computer programmability

React Pros:
Lightweight
Faster response time
Built-in telemetry system
Computer programmability
Superb quality/customer service

At the end, any of these radios would be a good choice. Personally I chose the Sensor because I race electric 1/8th buggies where you need to keep a close eye on LiPo battery voltages and motor/ESC temperatures. If this was not as imperative I would have chosen the React which still supports the same telemetry system, just on a smaller non-backlit screen.

-Jeff

Edit:

I just noticed your signature. I have a very similar setup (Losi 8, Neu 1512/2D/F, 4S/5000Mah). If you have any issues whatsoever with heat or voltage I highly recommend the Sensor. The sensor and I believe also the React have programmable audible/vibrating alarms on certain events (temp too high, batts to low, etc).
JeffEmbracedDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Tech Adept

i like the sensor because of he fact that it does have a backlit scree, and it has the sensors.Compared to the dx3r it seems like a better radio because u can go onto the computer and adjust it fromm there too

X1 CRT,Werks .28 B7 teamline,JP-3,DX2
jlinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I've used the sensor, the react and currently have the DX3R. The only reason I don't run Nomadio now is because when I had a warranty issue the replacement nomadio react was on backorder when nomadio was focusing on the government contracts for Iraq. I needed a radio immediately and purchased the dx3r. You really can't beat Nomadio's customer service and I can't say on Spektrum's because I haven't had to use it yet.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I run nitro and I use the react. I tested out the DX3R but chose the react because I could get it for way cheaper $130 used with receiver. I love the telemetry that is assume when others are trying to figure out there temps I know mine at a glance. Not to mention the battery sensor both tx and rx. pit timers and all the other adjustments any other radio has and more. In the end always buy what you like it makes all the difference.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

Default Nomadio

The React and the sensor are pretty cool. The telemtry really helps. I always know the reciever battery voltage and the motor temp. When the telemetry sensors reach preset levels I have a specific vibration frequency and a music tone. I normally can not hear the tone, but I can always feel the vibration. It is light weight but feels a little cheap. The radio is a little more simple b/c system is software based. During practice I can plug the transmitter into my laptop and record telemetry. With a computer timer I can record track times and engine temps.

I have found that I am able to better tune the mill to a track. When I tune to a high speed pass on the high needle and the tune low speed needle to help throttle response I find I run a little cool and rich on short tracks and a little hot on long legged tracks. This allows me to call out tune changes without getting off the track during practice. In the pit during a race you have to live with what you got, b/c you do not have time to make changes. But if my alarms are reached I know I need to back off the throttle. The timer on the reciever is nice, because I also get an pit alarm. I hit the button in the pits and it resets. Once it counts down to the right time I get another special vibration so I know it is time to pit. I wish it had a connection for a head set so I could hear all my messages better over the whining of the track noise.
Relay8039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Default Nomadio

The React and the sensor are pretty cool. The telemtry really helps. I always know the reciever battery voltage and the motor temp. When the telemetry sensors reach preset levels I have a specific vibration frequency and a music tone. I normally can not hear the tone, but I can always feel the vibration. It is light weight but feels a little cheap. The radio is a little more simple b/c system is software based. During practice I can plug the transmitter into my laptop and record telemetry. With a computer timer I can record track times and engine temps.

I have found that I am able to better tune the mill to a track. When I tune to a high speed pass on the high needle and the tune low speed needle to help throttle response I find I run a little cool and rich on short tracks and a little hot on long legged tracks. This allows me to call out tune changes without getting off the track during practice. In the pit during a race you have to live with what you got, b/c you do not have time to make changes. But if my alarms are reached I know I need to back off the throttle. The timer on the reciever is nice, because I also get an pit alarm. I hit the button in the pits and it resets. Once it counts down to the right time I get another special vibration so I know it is time to pit. I wish it had a connection for a head set so I could hear all my messages better over the whining of the track noise.
Relay8039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Relay, you must be using the React? The Sensor has a earphone jack just above the mini USB plug so that you can hear clearly. Also wondering what type of telemetry you are able to record to the computer?

The Sensor is a great feeling radio, one of the best I have ever had the pleasure to use. Downfalls are the cheap plastic, especially the throttle and steering assemblies. Throttle can be fixed with a small dab of epoxy and the main steering issue has been handled by an aftermarket part. Read the Nomadio website forum for info on both.

Got a Sensor not long after they came out. Retired it this year and replaced it with a React. React is a little faster but I miss the feel of the Sensor and the backlit display.

Have not used the latest and greatest from Spektrum enuff to form an opinion one way or another.

Ed M.
bentgear is offline   Reply With Quote