Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
For those who have raced nitro and electric 1/8 buggys >

For those who have raced nitro and electric 1/8 buggys

For those who have raced nitro and electric 1/8 buggys

Old 09-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default For those who have raced nitro and electric 1/8 buggys

Ok guys on my local forum we are having a "discussion" about 1/8 nitro vs electric buggys.

this is what i want from people who have owned and seriously raced BOTH types of cars. are you as fast or faster laptime wise with electric vs your nitro? please post what you have actually experienced one way or another.

please dont post comments based on what you have heard, feel or seen only if you have actual experience with both.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

are there any nitro guys that have owned both and would care to comment on their results?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

I find with nitro, I am always trying to push myself harder, find better lines, and get around the track faster.

With brushless, I am trying to slow down, get it under control, and stay on my wheels and get around the track period.

I race both. I love both. I think if I could master the brushless, i.e. the setups, the driving style, etc. I could be faster with it then anything else. There is something about instant power on demand. However, in practice, and believe me it takes a lot of it, I am faster overall with a nitro.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

larks...looking at your sig i see you have a nitro buggy and electric truggy are these the two you are comparing? if so it really isnt a good comparision because some people will just be able to drive one better than the other. and on some tracks a truggy might be faster and on others a buggy will be better.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

I agree with you but...
There is such a difference between the two it is not solely the truggy vs. buggy difference. I have also converted both at different times. I have chosen with keeping the truggy electric over the buggy because it is a larger vehicle and has more space for batteries.

Again, I qualify my thoughts/experiences in saying that this is just what I have observed. That's just my 2 cents.

I also am not suggesting either is 'better' just different. They are different for the reasons I observed and have spoken of.
I also have recently changed my platform to the Tekno R/C V3 conversion system. I am going to try the electi clutch system and see how this compares.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have run and owed both, here is my opinion:
nitro pros
.love the sound and smell
.fuel it up and go
.run it all day
nitro cons
.high maintence
.tuning (more so if you are new to hobby)
.messy
electric pros
.no tuning,charge and go
.lipo and brushless, makes it just as fast as nitro
.no need to drag around fuel, glowplug warmer, and starter box
electric cons
.Batteries are expensive
.need multiple batteries for a full day of racing
.very costly it breaks

Just a few things I could think of, everyone has there own preference. I still like nitro better. Electric seems to have a "toy" feel to it. I also like the nitro braking better.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ic-buggys.html

same topic by kvrc in the electric forum. I understand why you posted in both, but lets direct it to one forum.

BTW, at our local track we have a large quad. Nitros have to get a good run and people without good motors complain that they can't make it. I can take my electric truggy, set it on the face of the first jump, pull the throttle, and easily clear all four. This kind of torq/power that is deliverable almost instantly creates a much different driving experience. Unless you have changed your setup significantly from what most people claim they are using, I don't see how you argue this fact. Different doesn't always mean better. But for me, it is definitely different.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

larks thanks for being more specific because that helps.

i am not looking for all the pros and cons, just what people have experienced laptime wise after putting both on the track.

i needed to put a thread in both because if i didnt than someone would say that i am just getting info from people who frequent a certain forum.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i like nitro alot more. you feel the car with nitro. with electric it doesnt seem to be full filling too me.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

After racing electric for the past 10 yrs and now with nitro for last 3 yrs.

To me the hardest is 2 wd electric mod than nitro 2wd Stadium. The electric buggys are so responsive and so quick. My 8th scale is slow in response . Yes I run all good stuff too.

Think about it. You have a electric motor with a pinion to drive the spur than to the gear box. In nitro the motor sits higher, has a servo by linkage to the carb to rev the engine. Once the fly wheel spins up to throw the clutch shoes out to engage the bell to mesh up to the spur on the center diff than to the drive shafts to the front and rear gear box.

I love the noise and how roboust they are. I think if you get a track that a 10th scale can handle and they will be as quick if not quicker than a 8th scale.....
Old 09-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Nitro rules, Smoke, noise, mess, runtime! Electrics make great power, hands down, even 1/8 scale electrics are fast, and errie quiet, nitro engine can make you lose your hair at times, and nitro buggys must be maintained, I like to do the wrenching, for me its half the fun,and challenge,

SHHHHH! you might disturb the electric drivers....LOL!!! Its all fun but I like Nitro!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

guys i respect your opinions but that is not what i am after.
please only post if you have actually owned and raced 1/8 electric and nitro buggys and your results from only them.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Default Give us a call.

Go ahead and give us a call at 5154323715. We sell both platforms and I personally own both and can give you an honest opinion with what is faster per lap time and why.

cam

[email protected]

www.casterracingusa.com
Old 09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by camshaft
Go ahead and give us a call at 5154323715. We sell both platforms and I personally own both and can give you an honest opinion with what is faster per lap time and why.

cam

[email protected]

www.casterracingusa.com
please just post what you have experienced. if it is really what you feel based on actual racing then nobody should have a problem.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Suspended

I think your problem is that the question you've asked so far is a bit ambiguous.
It sounds like you've been involved in one of the new nitro vs. electric arguments and you're looking for ammo to take to the next meeting of the minds.
While I've raced and owned both I'll just say that it's a bit like the old .21 vs. .28 truggy engine discussion with people arguing one's faster than the other and vice versa, yet in the long run it really doesn't matter one way or another unless you can put the power to the ground and get it around the track. Power or speed doesn't matter unless your getting hooked up.
Same thing here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.