Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For those who have raced nitro and electric 1/8 buggys

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cracka
I think your problem is that the question you've asked so far is a bit ambiguous.
It sounds like you've been involved in one of the new nitro vs. electric arguments and you're looking for ammo to take to the next meeting of the minds.
While I've raced and owned both I'll just say that it's a bit like the old .21 vs. .28 truggy engine discussion with people arguing one's faster than the other and vice versa, yet in the long run it really doesn't matter one way or another unless you can put the power to the ground and get it around the track. Power or speed doesn't matter unless your getting hooked up.
Same thing here.
I agree with you the nitro vs. electric arguments BS gets old. Got to deal with at the track I race at it's not from the operators but the racers.

You are right about power if you can't put it to the ground it does no good.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The funniest thing about 1/8 elec. running with nitro is when the elec. crashes, the turn marshal starts hauling ass back to the pits with it because he thinks it stalled out.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
I agree with you the nitro vs. electric arguments BS gets old. Got to deal with at the track I race at it's not from the operators but the racers.

You are right about power if you can't put it to the ground it does no good.
Everyone has always been cool at our track. There is some occasional ribbing just for fun, but no real issues I have heard. As long as the electrics pit... it's all good.

I agree this thread seems to be fishing for something
Old 09-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I race both and my lap times are very similar. The differences that I see is that I feel more comfortable pushing the nitro car to it's limits. With the electric car I am much smoother and less prone to crash (although sometimes the sheer raw torque will get the best of you and you'll over jump sometimes ....LOL ).

Bobby Tillman ran my brushless MBX5R at the SilverState earlier this year for one of my qualifiers. He ran all weekend with his MBX5 and MBX5T so he was very used to the track. He never ran a brushless 1/8th before. My car did not have his setup or tires on it. His lap times were right on par with the fastest laps all weekend. With a little time, setup and tires the car would have easily TQ'd the event. He had the biggest grin on his face and was very excited about the car, so I think that should tell you something .
Old 09-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cracka
I think your problem is that the question you've asked so far is a bit ambiguous.
It sounds like you've been involved in one of the new nitro vs. electric arguments and you're looking for ammo to take to the next meeting of the minds.
While I've raced and owned both I'll just say that it's a bit like the old .21 vs. .28 truggy engine discussion with people arguing one's faster than the other and vice versa, yet in the long run it really doesn't matter one way or another unless you can put the power to the ground and get it around the track. Power or speed doesn't matter unless your getting hooked up.
Same thing here.
heres the scoop. we have a big following of 1/8 electric in lower mi. on our local forum someone started a 1/8 electric vs nitro buggy thread and you can figure out the rest.

i posted that everyone i had talked to locally and have seen on the net had reported that they were as fast or faster laptime wise with their electric, which is a true statement at that time. one guy called me out and flat called me a liar because i didnt want to name names, i just didnt want to bring in innocent victoms.

so i decided to start threads on rc tech since this is where most of the guys that have raced both frequent. i dont want general opinions because that will solve nothing. only guys that have given both a fair shake can give any real useable data.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I started the nitro/electric thread at our home forums.
Why?
B/C I got tired of guys always throwing in their "I dusted all the nitros in the straight!!" Or "electrics will outperform the nitro everytime."
Stuff like that.
But out of this big following of electric guys he's talking about I've only ever seen four of them at the track, and it's a rarity. We've been running them together this summer but they don't seem to show up.
And I'm not the guy who called him a liar either. He and another local guy always seem to mix it up alot.
Anyhow, see ya at the track. Bring your cars and your boys.
: )
And that's not calling you out. I only race for fun. That's why you don't see me talking smack, because it doesn't matter to me. The more the merrier is the way I see it.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Everyone has always been cool at our track. There is some occasional ribbing just for fun, but no real issues I have heard. As long as the electrics pit... it's all good.

I agree this thread seems to be fishing for something
Thats not exactly true

It sound like this thread is fishing for ammo for nitro vs electric
Old 09-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
Thats not exactly true

It sound like this thread is fishing for ammo for nitro vs electric
if you look at my posts above you will see that i am actually trying to keep this from getting that way. i am simply trying to get info from the guys that can give the best input on the subject, the ones that have raced both.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

What do you expect when posting a thread like this??????????

Just like threads which buggy or truggy is the best or my radio is the best because it's faster.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Give the guy a break...

I am thinking about going electric next year with an 1/8 buggy and have already started getting the business from some people.

You are acting like he is asking about comparisons like OS 28 vs. GRP 28.
or xxx vs b4. He is talking about totally different things. Electric technology has come so far so fast in the past couple of years. Nitro vs electric is the hot topic right now. Post something productive or go troll somewhere else.
There are people who would like to hear actual opinions about the differences such as set ups and driving style.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I've got a little more time on my homebrew e8ight than when I first posted in the electric forum version of this thread, and that experience still agrees perfectly with what I said there. I'll be faster in whatever I'm used to driving at the time. I'm a long-time nitro racer (and track owner/operator, so I do it a lot), and right now I'm about 7% slower in the electric when comparing lap times. The car has the potential, for all of the reasons mentioned above, but it's more difficult to drive it fast.

I concur perfectly with what Tony said. It's easier to push the nitro. In the electric, I'm always holding my breath a little and driving not to jack myself with too much throttle. This tendency makes me "less prone to crash" as he said, but also farther from optimal speed.

The two will be pretty compatible in the long run, IMO. The fast guys will still be fast, the slow guys will still be slow. The nitro guys will have engine troubles some days, and once in a while an electric guy will puff a battery or let the factory smoke out. However, for me at least (pending any issues with MMMv2!), the technology is finally there to build a reliable, race-ready electric 1/8th that I can run and have fun without worrying that one expensive part or another is about to go the ay of the flame.