R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Ok so i did totally the opposite of what i thought

I just bought a used Kyosho Sp2 with a go tech 3 port .21 wit jp exhaust. Everything on it is upgraded to fironi or racers edge. It came with 10 sets of tires mounted, a ofna starter box, a 2 channel am radio that he just had lying around so i can mess with it, and ziploc bags full of replacement parts to build the whole car twice. O ya and a K factory Carbon fiber chassis. Get this i bought it all for $400 bucks. I was going to buy it a few weeks ago when i drove it at the track, but the deal kinda fell thru.

I plan on putting a Sprectrum Dx 2 radio in it, what are some good servos also?
ClayKann101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Tech Adept

well i'd suggest either Ace R/C Ds1015 or Ds1313 or the hitec's new 7955
vroom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Hitec over anything
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Hitec over anything
Anything except JR that is!!!
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+1 for ace
bigsquidracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayKann101 View Post
I just bought a used Kyosho Sp2 with a go tech 3 port .21 wit jp exhaust. Everything on it is upgraded to fironi or racers edge. It came with 10 sets of tires mounted, a ofna starter box, a 2 channel am radio that he just had lying around so i can mess with it, and ziploc bags full of replacement parts to build the whole car twice. O ya and a K factory Carbon fiber chassis. Get this i bought it all for $400 bucks. I was going to buy it a few weeks ago when i drove it at the track, but the deal kinda fell thru.

I plan on putting a Sprectrum Dx 2 radio in it, what are some good servos also?
Do not, repeat DO NOT waste your money on a DX2. It doesn't have exponential, it is no better in actual operation than the 2 channel radio you have already. It WORKS ok, but it isn't worth buying one when you can get a much better radio for the same amount of money. Spektrum itself is very convenient and works great... just that particular radio is usually right where it belongs... in a cheap ready-to-run package. I've got one sitting at home collecting dust... it isn't really much of an upgrade.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Do not, repeat DO NOT waste your money on a DX2. It doesn't have exponential, it is no better in actual operation than the 2 channel radio you have already. It WORKS ok, but it isn't worth buying one when you can get a much better radio for the same amount of money. Spektrum itself is very convenient and works great... just that particular radio is usually right where it belongs... in a cheap ready-to-run package. I've got one sitting at home collecting dust... it isn't really much of an upgrade.
Why is it such a piece? At my track theres a bunch of Dx2s and Dx3s around thats what gave me the idea to get it. So whats better for my money? O ya i dont wanna deal with frequency's also.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote:
Why is it such a piece? At my track theres a bunch of Dx2s and Dx3s around thats what gave me the idea to get it. So whats better for my money? O ya i dont wanna deal with frequency's also.
Go look at the specs. The radio itself works fine, it just doesn't have 1 important feature. No exponential. You can USE it just fine that way, but exponential allows you to take some initial sensitivity out of the steering (and throttle/brake, if desired.)

The DX2 and DX2.0 are both without the exponential.

The DX3.0 and DX3R both have exponential. I recommend getting one of those if you want a radio made by Spektrum, or look for another good radio with a spektrum module, perhaps used.

For example, I bought my M8 (top of the line radio but a few years old) WITH a spektrum module (no receiver) for $80. I already had a DX2 and receiver, so I put the DX2 aside and used the receiver... best upgrade I could have done in that price range. The M8 has a lot of stuff I never use... (ABS? Yeah, whatever!) but it is a great radio.

Don't get me wrong... the DX2 works just fine... but having exponential to take some intial steering sensitivity out without restricting overall steering travel is REALLY helpful, especially if you have a twitchy car. (or if you have twitchy hands... like me!)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Ah ok i gotcha, well how is this even though its 3 channel? I need to stay around 150 bucks.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16275
Old 09-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Ah ok i gotcha, well how is this even though its 3 channel? I need to stay around 150 bucks.
I know im a new user... but I have a dx3.0 and SR3000 receiver I will sell ya if youre interested. I get about .5km range out of it, more than you will ever need.
whatsitallworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:

I don't personally have any experience with that radio... but... it has the features you should be looking for, and Airtronics makes good stuff, and it is already FHSS.

Hopefully someone on here will speak up and tell you about that radio.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

I have an idea for you, use the radio that it comes with and save up your money for a DX3R. That radio is really light and the batteries last for ever! Ok not forever but a very long time! It only uses 4 AA's instead of 8 and it looks cool too! A lot of guys around here have gotten them. I would but I have so much wrapped up in my Airtronics radio right now to justify an upgrade at this moment...
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
I have an idea for you, use the radio that it comes with and save up your money for a DX3R. That radio is really light and the batteries last for ever! Ok not forever but a very long time! It only uses 4 AA's instead of 8 and it looks cool too! A lot of guys around here have gotten them. I would but I have so much wrapped up in my Airtronics radio right now to justify an upgrade at this moment...
Ya i need to stop spending money i still need to fix my slash (has a burnt up esc) and i need fuel for the buggy haha.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

I personally Hate the feel of Spec radio's.....Especially the DX3R.....the trigger feel is sloppy and nothing compared to a 3pk/M11/KO.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I personally Hate the feel of Spec radio's.....Especially the DX3R.....the trigger feel is sloppy and nothing compared to a 3pk/M11/KO.
Unfortunately those are out of his price range.