R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default new to r/c need some help

hey everybody i just bought my first r/c nitro truck lastnight i have wanted to get into r/c for as long as i can remember, so i went out and bougt a used nitro stampede from a local hobby shop here in upstate ny. from what ive read i guess that the stampede isnt that bad to start out with, like i said i am brand new to this whole thing and really dont have the slightest idea about anything im more used to stuff with bigger engines like atvs and dirt bikes. the thing is my truck always seems to stall i will get it started run it for a few minutes and then the damn thing will stall for no apparent reason i dont know if i have to adjust the air fuel mixture or something else, when its running it runs great, the dude at the dealership said the exhaust should always be smokey if not than its running to lean and i will most likely blow the engine. i dont know any help would be great as well as any info or ideas im always ready to learn something. thanks guys.

jon
smithjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

The first thing we need to know is if it's dying becuase its lean or rich. Put a drop of spit on the head and see how long it takes to evaporate. Target is like 3 seconds. Longer and it is cool and too rich. Shorter and too lean. Is it dying on throttle or just sitting? How much smoke? Being used the possible issues are much greater. But thats a place to start. At least it runs! Thats a good thing!
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

ok i will try the spit thing, it sometimes stalls if i really grab the throttle most other times just when it is sitting there, its pretty smokey so i am assuming its a little rich but in order to make it run leaner do i turn the screw clockwise or counter clockwise??
Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Turn it clockwise (screw in) to lean it out, I'm not a tuning guru here so I'll leave that to the countless guys on here that could tell you better, but what I have been told is to tune the bottom needle (the one where your throttle servo mounts to the motor on the carb slide) until you can pinch the fuel line coming into the motor and get between 5 to 7 seconds before the motor starts to die, if it takes longer than 7 sec. than you are too rich on the bottom and you need to go clockwise, if it takes less than 5 sec. than you are too lean and need to go counter-clockwise. That will get your bottom end at least in the ballpark, the top end needle is just somthing I'll leave to someone else to tell you.

Hope it helps. Welcome to the hobby, have fun.
03racefan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

Try changing the glo plug first. 90% of the time an engine running like crap or stalling has glo plug issues. Also, when the engine is cool, try to rotate the flywheel. It should be easy and then get fairly hard once the piston gets close to top dead center. If it's easy and then only a little harder to turn the engine over completely, the piston and sleeve are worn out. If the engine still has compression, then read the instructions for the engine and set the needles back to thier factory settings and retune the engine. Tune your high speed first, then your low speed.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Oh, yeah, if you can't seem to get it to run no matter what you do tuning wise you may want to throw a new glow plug in. If you have a bad plug no amount of tuning is going to keep the motor running.
03racefan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Tech Elite

The easiest way to tune the top end is to get the engine warm, then make a few high speed passes, then bring it in and turn the high speed needle one or two hours leaner, then try it again. You should notice an improvement in high speed. Keep doing this until it seems like it's loosing power, then back it off to the setting right before that, make a few passes again and check temps. A temp gauge is something that is a MUST when running nitro. Temps should be between 200-230 or so, if they are higher, back the high speed needle off an hour at a time until the temps come down a bit.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

ok i checked the compression thats good, which is good, then i tuned the bottom needle and pinched off the fuel line it took about seven secs for the motor to die out i tried to adjust the top needle but its still running crappy its good if im going slow but as soon as i get on the throttle and pick up some speed it just stalls, kinda sounds like its starving for fuel maybe idk, i am going to pick up a new glowplug tomorow and see if that helps is there a certain brand i should get or are they all the same??? thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjeeps View Post
ok i checked the compression thats good, which is good, then i tuned the bottom needle and pinched off the fuel line it took about seven secs for the motor to die out i tried to adjust the top needle but its still running crappy its good if im going slow but as soon as i get on the throttle and pick up some speed it just stalls, kinda sounds like its starving for fuel maybe idk, i am going to pick up a new glowplug tomorow and see if that helps is there a certain brand i should get or are they all the same??? thanks
Befor we can answer that we need to know what motor and what fuel you run. You see, this is not a one size fits all hobby your in. The more info you give us, the more we can do for you. You really should find the local track and start hangin' out. Most of the people in this hobby like to help the new guys get going(your now the guy I'm sellin' old stuff to.lol)Be sure to have fun out there.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

the motor i have is the trx 1.5 i changed the glow plug and did a little tuning its running a lot better but still not 100 percent i guess i just got to tweek it a little more, i am getting the feeling that these little engines are very sensitive..
Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
Tech Elite

The are EXTEMELY sensitive indeed.