R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliprip View Post
I don't know about you, but this is getting rediculous! I really hope most tracks stick with ROAR rules and keep these wheels/tires illegal. This could be the 3rd new wheel in less than a year The buggies are also really ugly with the new wheels/tires...looks like a damn mini truggy

+100, IMO these wide(r) tires are dumb! All its going to do is make this more expensive for racers who have to keep buying new tires to be competitive now. (If they do make the class faster) What we have now works just fine, why keep changing it. If you what to race with wider tires, go race a Truggy, and stop screwing up the buggy class......

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #17
Tech Master

I think that the V3 is ok. The reason being is that "I think" that ultamitly it might keep the cost down, with spreading the load onto a bigger tire patch, thus slower ware. I do think they need to stop at the V3 and go no bigger though.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
Key
Tech Addict

Do wider type tires really have that upper hand over narrower tires in off-road? I would hesitate to answer yes too quickly.

Reason being:

If you race a Ferrari on an icy track for example, it would literarily spin out because of its larger tire mass to ground ratio.

Whereas if you take that same car, slap on narrower tires it is a whole different ball-game. There will be a significant gain in traction due to the minimized narrower contact on slippery grounds.

I know ice is an extreme case but the same concept applies to loose off-road conditions. So wider doesn't necessarily mean more traction. Sometimes less = more depending on track situation.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

or yyou could look at it from the standpoint of; at least your going to get your hands on what was actually used at the largest race in RC, the worlds. every manufacturer is making pieces for next week that YOU WILL NEVER SEE OR HEAR ABOUT as a consumer. you have to give credit where credit is due and this is only the 2nd new wheel from proline and prior to the V2 the "V1" was around for almost a decade.

******* DialedSetups.com ****** Check it out!!!!!
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:01 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Bigger also means lower wear.... but they look like floats though
Old 09-10-2008, 04:05 AM   #21
Key
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkracer24 View Post
or yyou could look at it from the standpoint of; at least your going to get your hands on what was actually used at the largest race in RC, the worlds. every manufacturer is making pieces for next week that YOU WILL NEVER SEE OR HEAR ABOUT as a consumer. you have to give credit where credit is due and this is only the 2nd new wheel from proline and prior to the V2 the "V1" was around for almost a decade.
Having the latest and greatest does not mean it is better than what is already out there. The IFMAR Worlds is just around the corner but keep in mind that a lot of last minute advertising translates to effective marketing strategies.

Additionally, VP-Pro were the first ones to advertise the wider tire design in preparation for this year’s IFMAR event and now Proline plan to release the exact same ones. To be fair credit should be given to the rightful manufacturer.

The point is WIDER could very well be an advantage but I am not sold on the idea for offroad 1/8 just yet. I like to question things before jumping into it.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #22
Tech Elite

we really dont know if the wider tire will be released but it should improve scotts chances with the new mbx6 and the larger meats next week.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

What if the wider tires put up the same laptimes but last 30% longer? They would be cheaper to run than narrower tires. Would everyone still think ROAR should not change the rules at some point to allow them?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure they already determined that they produce faster lap times.

As I understand it. A few very consistent professional drivers ran laps at the Proline test track with transponders and recorded lap times using the regular tires. After that they switched to V3 tires and rims and recorded faster average lap times across the board. Think truggy.

Either way... I am sure loving the suspense leading up to the worlds and all of the manufacturers fighting to come up with the "newest & fastest".
Marzac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #25
Tech Master

i figured since there was talk about them prior to the worlds that we kick it up again. I ran the wide tires at the worlds and all i can say is that they WERE FREAKING AMAZING!!!! I only ran them on the rear and ran the standards up front. They definitely help produce more traction and enable you to get back to the gas A LOT quicker without getting out of shape.

I know in my case proof is in the pudding. I managed to bump three times at the worlds this last week. if you would like you can look at my laptimes in race #15 where i used standard bowties and then look at races 17,19, and 21 to see how my times changed with the wide rears. you can find the results on liverc.com

and dont forget to check out RCSIGNUP.com and register

Old 09-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #26
Tech Master

race 21 may not be a very fair comparison as it was at 8 in the morning but 17 and 19 were only 20 minutes after each other

Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I ran them at my local track (rear only) and was TQ for the night. They do just as you said and allow the racer to get back on the gas faster without fishtailing. Especially helpful in the bumpier areas. Also seems to produce a faster acceleration to top speed. Small but noticeable.
Marzac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It does get irritating in the RC world to see a product come out and see the manufacturer replace so quickly, the only place I have seen this in the world that sticks out in my head is full on factory motorsports usually at the highest level...ie something like F1 where parts get redesigned and altered for almost every track. It is over the top with RC and the prices that go with new releases....

As to performance, wider doesn't necessarily mean better...but from what we have seen it is safe to say the small increase in diameter and width in this case IS faster in most generic situations. With the performance level increases of our machinery it is important that the part where the rubber meets the road stays up to pace with the development of motors/chassis etc. Wheel/Tyre aspect ratios will always increase as a result of the higher performance needs of the vehicles and the tracks these days...its a good thing guys.

You also have to note something else, to the clubman...having several sets of wheels and tyres is nothing new so this doesn't exactly force you to dig into your pocket for anything different. The Tyre is a basic piece of running our machines too, they wear out and need to be replaced...thats part of the game. So u don't need to go out and buy the latest release just because its out there, wait a few months and when your V1/2 are worn out...grab a fresh new set of V3.

What sanctioning bodies SHOULD do is regulate that when new standards are being initialized, it is only done in stages and certain time periods so that a manufacturer can't hold back technology and come out with constant new releases bit by bit....I do believe that is what held back the EP scene for a long time with the motor and battery development.
jmcn r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:04 AM   #29
ruf
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to ruf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliprip View Post
Sorry for the necropost. I'm a 1/8 noob, so I need to ask: what chassis is this?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:23 AM   #30
Tech Master

It's a Mugen MBX6