R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Adjustable Clutches

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/26707
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20371

Can someone explain how these type of clutch systems work better than the instructions? To me it sounds like you'd pull up on the entire center of the clutch and rotate to the next hole. Is that correct? How does it stay in place if that's all you do?

If someone has used these before what were your thoughts and experiences? Likes/dislikes.

Thanx

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/26707
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20371

Can someone explain how these type of clutch systems work better than the instructions? To me it sounds like you'd pull up on the entire center of the clutch and rotate to the next hole. Is that correct? How does it stay in place if that's all you do?

If someone has used these before what were your thoughts and experiences? Likes/dislikes.

Thanx

I've been looking at these too. I really like the idea. It center appears to be a cam. Since they say you should only turn these counter-clockwise, I'm guessing the sping end 'clicks' into the next cog, then you push the top onto the pins and tighten it down.

It looks trick. ...but does it require a special shoe?
boostfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

The Trinity u Unscrew the flywheel nut and lift the center portion and slide it to the next setting...and like boostfiend said it slips into the next "cog" which would have a slightly less/more agressive angle causing more/less tension on the springs....i would imagine u would need to use Brand specific shoes....and the Fioroni i would'nt touch as the price of the shoes alone and the fact fioroni seems to be comming out with something new every week...and dont seem to keep up on stock on the older units....and i would hate to be stuck with a 70$ clutch and no shoes....go M2C Air.....imo its the best set-up out there.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
The Trinity u Unscrew the flywheel nut and lift the center portion and slide it to the next setting...and like boostfiend said it slips into the next "cog" which would have a slightly less/more agressive angle causing more/less tension on the springs....i would imagine u would need to use Brand specific shoes....and the Fioroni i would'nt touch as the price of the shoes alone and the fact fioroni seems to be comming out with something new every week...and dont seem to keep up on stock on the older units....and i would hate to be stuck with a 70$ clutch and no shoes....go M2C Air.....imo its the best set-up out there.
+1 M2C Racing all the way! The best Clutches in the biss.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Twotan

i use the Fioroni black turbo clutch with hard springs. It is the best clutch set-up i have used.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13236
Twotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
10-4

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
10-4

LMK when u wnna pull the trigger...we got some Shoe/spring combo's to talk about.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:34 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to shesha

Air8, I use fioroni clutches, if I am not mistaken they were the first people to come up with that design, it's very simple and very fast to adjust.

You have 3 settings, soft , medium and Hard pretty much identical to going up and down the spring numbers.....

U have a center nut to open, then just turn the top part to the setting you want always counter clockwise if I recall correctly, tighten the nutback in place and your set...

I used them and ditched all the other clutches, actually they really amek the car come alive.

I gave away 3 demo samples for the local club, the next day I was sold out at the shop, you wont regret it thats for sure.....

I am not sure abotu trinity but I can tell fioroni's are sweet and top quality....

Here are the instructions for them which should be identical..

http://www.fioroni.com/inglese/prodo...gua=ita&cerca=

http://www.fioroni.com/contenuti/dow...bling%20EN.pdf

http://www.fioroni.com/contenuti/dow...Setup%20EN.pdf

I know also they came up with a tool to make it even easier to turn the setting you want, as greasy hands can sometimes be frustrating to twist things round when they are held by a spring.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Air good thread and good replies I hope you don't mind me imposing on your thread. I was looking at this clutch.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4670

Was wondering had anyone used and what they thought.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Thanx for the replies guys. It's good to see and learn of the other clutches out there. Hopefully there will be more info posted about these clutch systems. good thread for sure.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 09-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BermyDomRepRC Send a message via Yahoo to BermyDomRepRC Send a message via Skype™ to BermyDomRepRC

Hey guys I have been using a Werks adjustable clutch last few months and its holding up good I truly set it and for get it. I clean it with alcohol everytime I clean the car but Ive got great lowend and no slipping so far. People have been using adjustable clutches in on road cars for years dont see why the technology hasnt really caught on in off road
BermyDomRepRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to shesha

vladconnery, your reckward clutch looks similar to the ultimate racing ones, check ultimateracing.es clutch section, very nice flywheels thick ones good for hard starts, the clutch material is top quality.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #13
Tech Master

Up to 4 werks clutches now & still never replaced a shoe.One clutch is probably in the 9-10 gal range now & flywheel is starting to show wear but works fine.Bearings last forever,6+gal if maintained & clutchbells even longer.
B-main puts them on clearance for $39 from time to time,just red locktite the adjusting nut when you find a setting you like.Red locktite will not stay hard when used there more like a very firm goo from the heat it sees.

I have a race buddy that runs the fioroni plate adjust & he had problems,dont know if it was his fault or not but when he went to replace shoes he almost had a heart attack from the $ but it worked well till it died in 2-3 gallons & if I remember right thats longer than a mugen clutch in a truggy lasts.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

I used one of these for a year with good results. They take some time to get used to, but work well once setup. I ran the gold spring with 3 threads showing on the nut, and yes locktight it.

http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...5054300975.htm
Inside_Line is offline   Reply With Quote