Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK4 - It is ALIVE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking EK4 - It is ALIVE!

I have resurrected my EK4! I called Ace Hobbies who had the ring in stock and offered me a used piston for free. Well I got it with today's mail and the piston looks brand new!

I am not sure that I installed it correctly though, I hung the piston on the rod, then put it down the bore without the sleave and attached it to the crankshaft. Then I carefully tapped in the sleeve making sure the ring was indexed to the piston pin, and the dimple on the piston was indexed to the index pin for the sleeve. The bottom of the sleeve is beveled so the ring went in fairly easily, this seemed like the way to do it but I have never rebuilt and engine before.

The connecting rod could go either way as each side was slightly different. I just guessed what way it was supposed to go, I hope it does not matter. As I said above, the piston has a dimple which I indexed to the same pin that the sleeve uses, hopefully that is also correct. In either case, it started right up and sounded really good.

After I assembled the engine, I put it back in the truck, spun it up with the drill, and Wa La! It started right up and sounded great! I shut it down after a couple of minutes and will take it on the street tomorrow if the hurricane has passed.

3 years this truck sat and tonight it runs again!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I had an ek4 back in the day, that engine was an animal!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

LOL. Seems like someone said to try Ace in the first place?