R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-07-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Tire glue?

I'm just wondering if there is any difference in strength between thick and thin CA tire glue? what do you prefer?
lowey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowey79 View Post
I'm just wondering if there is any difference in strength between thick and thin CA tire glue? what do you prefer?
i use both....med for the main bead....then thin to seal the flap......some glue's are better then other's ive found.....and Old glue is the Worst....so keep them bottle's fresh for best results.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Tech Regular

I don't think there is any difference in strength between them. The thin stuff dries a lot quicker than the thick. I use the thin, it runs down between the rim and tire well unlike the thicker stuff.

I think the reason for most tires coming unglued is due to poor prep, spay the rims with motor spay then put some on a rag and wipe down the bead on the tire before mounting.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

applying 2 beads imo is benefitial...as with the med bead u can ensure the tire is 100% glue'd to the rims before u apply the thin bead to seal the lip.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Having just been through the process of chosing a high-quality CA for our product (AKA Racing), I've learned that thin CA is a watered-down version of medium CA, and that all CA glues are not created equally. Some producers focus on making the least expensive product, which results in a weaker bond, and others spend the time to formulate the CA to provide the strongest bond between the specific materials used in RC tires and wheels. BTW, thin CA doesn't actually use water to thin it, but the thinning agent doesn't contribute to the bond strength. In our experience, which between Gil, Mark and myself adds up to about 80 years, the medium CA from our source produces the highest bond strength. Thin CA glue will get the job done - we've all used it for years and it produces a strong bond under the right conditions, but the medium CA we're using produced the strongest bond of any we've tested. It's the most expensive for us to buy, so it's a little more costly than garden-variety CA glue, but to most of our customers it's more important to have a solid bond than to save $2 on a bottle of glue. So, to answer the question, our testing showed that the medium CA is stronger. I don't reccommend using any type of accelerator either. It makes the glue cure instantly, but the bond strength is MUCH better when the glue is allowed to dry on its own. Lastly, it's important to keep your CA refrigerated. CA that's stored in your toolbox in a hot garage or even in the house will degrade more quickly. If you keep it in the fridge and can keep your wife/GF from using it to repair broken fingernails, it's going to be useful to the last drop. If you leave it in your toolbox, it can degrade in a couple of weeks depending on the heat. I hope the info helps to answer your question.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Lastly, it's important to keep your CA refrigerated. CA that's stored in your toolbox in a hot garage or even in the house will degrade more quickly. If you keep it in the fridge and can keep your wife/GF from using it to repair broken fingernails, it's going to be useful to the last drop. If you leave it in your toolbox, it can degrade in a couple of weeks depending on the heat. I hope the info helps to answer your question.
+1 the higher the quality of CA, the faster it will go bad. So yes, keep it in the fridge...

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Having just been through the process of chosing a high-quality CA for our product (AKA Racing), I've learned that thin CA is a watered-down version of medium CA, and that all CA glues are not created equally. Some producers focus on making the least expensive product, which results in a weaker bond, and others spend the time to formulate the CA to provide the strongest bond between the specific materials used in RC tires and wheels. BTW, thin CA doesn't actually use water to thin it, but the thinning agent doesn't contribute to the bond strength. In our experience, which between Gil, Mark and myself adds up to about 80 years, the medium CA from our source produces the highest bond strength. Thin CA glue will get the job done - we've all used it for years and it produces a strong bond under the right conditions, but the medium CA we're using produced the strongest bond of any we've tested. It's the most expensive for us to buy, so it's a little more costly than garden-variety CA glue, but to most of our customers it's more important to have a solid bond than to save $2 on a bottle of glue. So, to answer the question, our testing showed that the medium CA is stronger. I don't reccommend using any type of accelerator either. It makes the glue cure instantly, but the bond strength is MUCH better when the glue is allowed to dry on its own. Lastly, it's important to keep your CA refrigerated. CA that's stored in your toolbox in a hot garage or even in the house will degrade more quickly. If you keep it in the fridge and can keep your wife/GF from using it to repair broken fingernails, it's going to be useful to the last drop. If you leave it in your toolbox, it can degrade in a couple of weeks depending on the heat. I hope the info helps to answer your question.
Hahahaha, your glue is the best hey!!! I am sure it is!!! your plug here makes me want to go out and buy a bottle!!!!
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Tech Master

I prefer the "Bob Smith" CA's. Med for the initial glueing and thin to seal, then let the tires sit overnight. Bob Smith some of you know as the glue that has your hobby stores name on it. (purple for med, blue for thin)

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop&Roll View Post
Hahahaha, your glue is the best hey!!! I am sure it is!!! your plug here makes me want to go out and buy a bottle!!!!

its all true facts ive learned over the years from building competition woofers...
Old 09-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
+1 on all his points. Only I use the Lucky 7 Rc Medium Tire Glue.

Lucky 7 Rc

Freshest High Quality CA on the market.. Made in the USA
Old 09-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
+1 on all his points. Only I use the Lucky 7 Rc Medium Tire Glue.

Lucky 7 Rc

Freshest High Quality CA on the market.. Made in the USA
Yep thats it must be the best its from the USA where they speak American!!!
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Loop, my point is to lay the foundation for my comments. The people involved in the AKA product line have tons of experience with tire glue and are immersed in the subtle details that help to create a stronger bond between wheel and tire, a lot of which I tried to pass along in answering the question. I'm not going to be bashful about the choices we made because it's the best supplier of CA that we've found and I'm satisfied that we're using the best formulation available for the application. Yes, there are a couple other companies that use the same supplier, but I can't speak to what they're using because they're the only ones that know which formulation is in the bottle. So, my point is that I've probably spent more time researching CA that the average forum member and that it formed the basis for my answer. But hey, thanks for being the inevitable first to sarcastically reduce it to nothing more than a shameless plug for our product. I thought that type of sarcasm was exclusive to the Brits. No offense to the Brits - it's a joke.

It appears that it's all for naught, because jpalessi said his brand is the best or at least the "freshest," so it must be true. Here I was thinking we had great glue... Back to the drawing board.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

yeah whats AKA know?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Loop, my point is to lay the foundation for my comments. The people involved in the AKA product line have tons of experience with tire glue and are immersed in the subtle details that help to create a stronger bond between wheel and tire, a lot of which I tried to pass along in answering the question. I'm not going to be bashful about the choices we made because it's the best supplier of CA that we've found and I'm satisfied that we're using the best formulation available for the application. Yes, there are a couple other companies that use the same supplier, but I can't speak to what they're using because they're the only ones that know which formulation is in the bottle. So, my point is that I've probably spent more time researching CA that the average forum member and that it formed the basis for my answer. But hey, thanks for being the inevitable first to sarcastically reduce it to nothing more than a shameless plug for our product. I thought that type of sarcasm was exclusive to the Brits. No offense to the Brits - it's a joke.

It appears that it's all for naught, because jpalessi said his brand is the best or at least the "freshest," so it must be true. Here I was thinking we had great glue... Back to the drawing board.
LOL! I know my stuff is good , because it's high quality CA made and bottled here in the USA, and stored in a frig. I get my supply in smaller amounts then most manufactures, to keep the stock as fresh as possible. It has worked VERY well for myself and many others. The tire will rip in half before the bead brakes lose.

I'm sure the AKA blend will be top quality as well.. heck it maybe the same..

Last edited by jpalessi; 09-07-2008 at 08:12 PM.
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:49 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, you've been very helpful. I have till now, been using run of the mill hobby CA. Might have to try some of the other brands around
lowey79 is offline   Reply With Quote