R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Back into the scene, new to nitro NEED HELP

So ive always been into rc started with slot cars then i had 2 electric team associated trucks but i sold them about 3 years ago.
Theres an indoor and outdoor track in my town and i really want back into the sport.

Im looking for a nitro truck that i can run decently competitively

Ive been looking into getting a t-max and i found one that has decent upgrades and a new engine that i think is 3.3 and its ready to run. Im considering getting it but i wasnt too sure how a "monster truck" would handle at the track.

I really want something competitive but im not sure if something like a jato would be too advanced of a step from my electric trucks do to me just knowing the basics of nitro operation.

Any advice is muchly appreciated and if someone could point me in the direction of a good buyers guide that would be great.

Thanks
Incognito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Advice don't buy Traxxas.

Nitro is nitro there is no such thing as to advanced when your talking surface RC'ing. Now helicopters and planes yes they can be to advanced. Best advice spend your money once and get quality and thats no related to any traxxas. Traxxas is the walmart of RC'ing. Go to your local track and see how many traxxas are running in buggy or truggy class or any class. I doubt you will find any theres a reason why. There is a traxxas slash class running at the local track but there electric and 1/10th. What class do you want to compete in should be your 1st descision? What amount do you want to spend for your budget 2nd descision? 3rd what brands fall into your budget range. There are some good upper level brands that you can be very competitive with. Some are inexpensive and some are very expensive. Whats inexpensive to us might not be inexpensive to you. If your total budget is $200-$300 then yes a traxxas slash would be your best bet. If your looking at offroad nitro 1/8th new $300 want buy any kit or RTR that I know of. Or atleast that I see on any track competing. I have not seen a monster truck class there might be one that I am not familar with. If it is it's a very small group of guys. Can't see a monster truck handling a track to well not much differently than a real truck could handle a track. What ever you do make sure the class you choose has plenty of people to compete with. It's no fun competing by yourself. Right now most popular classes are 1/8th truggy and buggy by a country mile.

Last edited by vladconnery; 09-06-2008 at 04:19 AM.
vladconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want your best bang for the buck, go to the track and see what being run. Then the LHS for parts. The only trassas you'll see is a revo and it ain't all that.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote