R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Experienced 8th Scale Racers...Need Opinions!

Need some experienced Nitro runners/racers opinions. I've been out of RC "racing" for a while now. Looking to start racing again on a consistent basis in the up coming year. In the past I've raced/ran: Offroad 10th 2wd Trucks, Oval Carpet, On-road Tour, Carpet tour, and Drifting. All electric platforms...
Coming back into RC Racing I want to invest in consistent classes that have big participating numbers. In other words when I go out to the track on the weekend, I'm confident that the class I race in will always have a good number of participants & competitors.
For the off-road Nitro, Its 8th scale Buggy & Truggy that I'm looking at. I'm already looking @ a few kits, but I want the opinions of the experienced. I've never ran Nitro, or 8th scale before, so this will be a brand new experience for me. I do learn FAST though Are the Buggy Platforms better for a newbie, or is it the Truggy rides that are more stable?...Does it matter?
I'm looking to spend within the 500 buck or lower range. Looking for opinons on solid platforms that will be the best bang for my bucks. Tech support, upgrading ease, Good instruction manuals, and balanced racing performance is what I look for most. RTRs that run solid out of the box, but have great racing upgrade parts are in high consideration as well.
All opinions are valued & Appreciated!
DJ919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

$500 for everything? Or just for the car? If you want to actually race thats going to be a tough budget, but if your careful you should be able to do ok. If you need an RTR there is the Losi 8ight and the Associated RC8 available as RTRs. Jammin will probably have the X2 buggy out as an RTR fairly soon too. If your looking at RTRs only those are the cars I'd be looking at. If you can stretch it buy a race kit now and save yourself some money in the long run. You could go the used route as well, but thats certainly a matter of personal preference. If there are some sponsored drivers running at your local track you could buy one of their old cars, which are usually set up well and of course you will have help from one of the better drivers at the track.

Top brands right now (not just RTR):
Xray
Losi
Jammin
Associated
Hot Bodies

Truggy is easier to drive and the tires last at least twice as long, but it is not really as exciting to drive. If you have raced a lot of electric stuff in the past you will probably feel more at home with a buggy because truggies are so big and heavy that they will feel weird to you. I prefer running buggy over truggy since it is more difficult.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Allumina

I'm a bit tired to do a full writeup right now, but I will leave you with this:

Truggies are generally much easier to drive. More forgiving, handle bumps and jumps better with more stability.

HOWEVER

Most people will agree, that learning by starting out with a buggy is the way to go. Once you've got a buggy down,t he transition to truggy will be smooth as butter.
Allumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

i agree start w/ 8th scale buggy, But good luck on spending below your budget. lol I spent easy 2 grand for my 8th scale set-up. I would look into the RC8 cause i think its pretty cheap and or the new D9.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

as for Solid RTR's out of the box, consider looking at and comparing these two buggies:

Losi 8ight RTR
$520 dollars (ultimatehobbies.com)

Associated RC8 RTR
$499 dollars (ultimatehobbies.com

similarities :
.28 roto start engines (check to see at your track if they have engine displacement rules)
both race proven, and upgradeable to 'pro kit' specs and setups

main differences:
8ight
comes with receiver pack (i think)
comes with spektrum 2.4 DX2.0 radio

RC8
computerized FM radio

a big thing to consider is parts availability.
good luck with whatever direction you choose to go with.
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #6
Tech Master

Hey guys THANKS a million for the fast information! I've printed out all of your posts and will jump into researching everything. Yeah, I know this is mostly a "you get what you pay for" type deal . I run a custom rides organization and custom car club. We participate in major industry level car shows like HIN, the now former NOPI, FMF, DUB and others... I can definetly relate to, and understand the big costs of quality.
For now, I'm thinking more towards going with one of the high end RTR buggy kits to get that experience, and move up the ladder as my driving performance gets better. Its also good to know that I can come here and get good advice from experienced 8th scale enthusiasts like yourselves...I'll have a million more questions so I'd like to keep this thread open for a long time to come.

Thanks again fellas!
DJ
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Truggies are far more forgiving and easier to drive. You can start out in buggy must use lots of thottle control. Do what you think is best for you.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

I can tell you this coming from working a hobby store, a track and and spending more than half my days of the year at a track somewhere racing, pitting fast guys and helping new guys...

If you are going racing and want to be competitive (Sounds like you do) my advice is to avoid RTR as basically a false economy. Servos will quickly be either blown or replaced for faster stronger ones, engines are good for learning on but you will quickly want to upgrade and they tend to have parts made more economically such as shock towers... so they break quicker and you end up upgrading quickly and if you are going into racing straight away they can easily become a money pit where if you spent a little more in the right place your worries simply become spare parts to carry, bearings and fuel.

If you really want to go RTR... Losi comes with Spektrum, and the engine has a good reputation as an RTR. Associated comes with the best RTR servos so far by review, i don't know much about the engine but i would bet it's pretty strong as far as RTR goes.

Check out the threads on this forum on the cars you look at and see what people are doing as far as modifications go. Also you will find what the underlying problems of the cars are and how to sort them before they happen.

My advice to start on a minimum budget would be to find a good radio system on ebay (Airtronics M8's are very reasonable second hand - more than good enough and have more features than you will use.), get a strong torque servo for steering (9kg plus, i reccomend the HiTec robot servo with 13kg) and a mid torque for throttle. Aim for a good mid range engine such as the Jammin being raved about at the moment. I would even go for the Novarossi 3 port engine which is a sports engine but a great one to learn with and not slow... i won races in my UK tracks summer series that i am leading with one. RB engines such as the S7 are a great engine in the mid range and tend to have very good life span and power. I swear by RB and pretty much everyone that has run one will tell you the same.

One rule of thumb is to never buy a second hand engine unless you are absolutely certain it has been cared for and know the person telling you so... even then... i would buy new so you know exactly where it's at and find someone experianced to help you break it in properly.

Every engine on Ebay has had only a gallon on it or a few races. Don't bother, it's a lottery.

And plus one on Truggy/Buggy as the guy said early on... buggy will teach you finesse and Buggy to Truggy is definately easier than the other way round.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #9
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Great info Ian! Thanks for the help...Seriously guys this is REAL cool, you all are already helping me target in on making the right choices with my $$...MUCH Appreciated!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

For $500 you can get a good complete pro kit used. Look here in the for sale section. I see them all day long for that much or maybe a lil more. Avoid RTR like the plague because basically it is a plague. You will be sick with replacement and upgrade idos. This a great time to buy used with the new mp9, mugen6, HBD8 and 808 either being released or just out. Plus the end of the race season in most areas. All those got to have the latest and greatest guys are dumping there perfectly good rides. $500 is a paper thin budget for racing your going to have to maximize every dollar.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Tech Master

Thanks Vlad.
Yeah, I prefer new, even if I have to throw in a couple hundred more, just to get the quality that's needed. I just don't want to run into paying for a lot of Hype over that of read deal quality & performance. You guys know what you're talking about so I'm taking every piece of advice seriously.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

A point about the buggy/truggy thing; Truggies are more stable than buggies but if you're used to electric a 1/8 buggy will feel like a big, heavy truck. They are very stable and easy to drive. A truggy is easier but usually more expensive to maintain. Because they are larger and heavier but don't have parts engineered specifically for them, everything wears faster (CVD's, bearings, gears, suspension parts, clutches) and tires are much more expensive too.

If you're experienced I'd recommend a 1/8 buggy. You can get the Losi RTR for a reasonable cost, it has a good DSM radio and the chassis is proven competitive.

That's my $.02
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I totally agree with all the above comments, I started out with a losi 8 and now I have the TQ RACING SX8 only comes as a kit so you will have to add an engine and electronics. You can get the buggy kit for 400-420, and it is a very good buggy great instruction manuel, plus with a kit you get the enjoyment of assembling it yourself because you will have to replace parts on a RTR and the best way to get use to it is by putting one together. Billy Easton will be running the SX8 at the Worlds in Charlotte. Going to the SX8 was the best decision I have made. The kit is very buget freindly to the average racer and spare part prices are very friendly as well. If interested PM me and I can hook you up with the distributer of this great buggy.

Joe
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #14
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would agree that you should start with truggy. I would also advise you to buy a RTR than you can upgrade to the pro version. Kyosho, Jammin, Losi, or Hyper St from Ofna. While the RTR are clearly inferior to the Kits, you can slowly drop in the better parts. Start with Servo's, then engine/Starter box, then chassis, etc. etc. Over time you can convert it into the same thing you will get from the kit, but in the meantime while you are saving your money for the upgrades, you can be practicing. You can do the same thing with buggies, but they are harder to handle, and you will be better, and faster leaning with a truggy
Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #15
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
A point about the buggy/truggy thing; Truggies are more stable than buggies but if you're used to electric a 1/8 buggy will feel like a big, heavy truck. They are very stable and easy to drive. A truggy is easier but usually more expensive to maintain. Because they are larger and heavier but don't have parts engineered specifically for them, everything wears faster (CVD's, bearings, gears, suspension parts, clutches) and tires are much more expensive too.

If you're experienced I'd recommend a 1/8 buggy. You can get the Losi RTR for a reasonable cost, it has a good DSM radio and the chassis is proven competitive.

That's my $.02
The Losi RTR buggy comes with a crappy slab of metal chassis. It is not the same as the Kit just FYI