R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+1

I still run and win races with my GT2 RS. Of course now it is not the same truck as it was out of the box.

If he is gonna race competition and purchasing a RTR he will almost immediately need to purchase new tires and servos. Then if he goes through the kit and make sure the car is tight he would be fine
Old 09-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #32
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I bought a Hyper 7 PBS, Paul Coleman edition, with lay down servos, and lots of Team parts, and it was RTR, and it was as fast and agile as anything on the track. Of course my driving stunk, (still does) but it was not the RTR vehicle that was losing me races. They definitely need some upgrades, but $125 initial upgrade gets you an awesome Steering servo, and a great set of tires, and then you can compete with anything on the track
Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I don"t take offense easily. I seem to be the only one who paid attention to the fact that he said he does not want a kit! That's why I advised a RTR that can be upgraded to kit form. There are some RTR's that come only as a RTR, and cannot be converted back to kit form. I also understand that maybe he can't drop $800-$1000 right now, but he needs to start somewhere, so a $500 RTR, and then another $200 every couple of months works out just fine for some people. I did it for the first 6 years in the hobby, as I had no confidence in my building abilities, but as I learned, I improved my driving, and my wrenching, and now I fear no Kits!, lol, you guys need to understand that people can't always start with what they should, there are many other factors, and many times its just cash.
Hey Slay and Jaz...Don't fight about this fellas, Its cool. Both of you have great advice, and I appreciate both of you helping me out...Sorry if I didn't specify things a little better...Here ya go:
I have 11 years of RC experience (started in 1997) and I've built multiple kits. Raced Oval, Tour Car, Offroad, Stunt exhibitions at car shows, and drifting. Have no problem build a kit or dailing a ride into the track...lol.. Lost more tools than most have probably ever had..lol...I'm no rookie "when it comes to 10th scale."...Jaz is more on point as to what my plans are. As long as the RTR is upgradable, I can build that thing to pro or factory levels as I get better with it. I'm experienced and HUMBLE enough to know that moving from all my years running anything 10th, to running 8th makes me a born again RC racer on the off road. Its a whole new ball game that I have to learn in order to be competitive on the track. I will be racing in a couple on-road classes as well, so money has to be spread around. 8th will my primary off road...I think starting out with a "quailty" tech-supported, upgradable RTR is the route I'm going to take...I took MUCHO advice from all of you, and narrowed it down to
Jammin
Losi
Associated

I own Losi and Ae platforms on the 10th so I know of their tech support... Jammin seems to be a popular hit with very little complaints. So it will be hard to choose. I may have skimmed a little on the price of what I'd pay..I can go over 5 if need be.
DJ919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #34
Tech Lord

Let us know what you choose, and keep us updated on your racing. Good luck
Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #35
Tech Master

Both Losi & AE offer "race rollers" in that 500 ish price range. You still need the eletronics & motor but you start with a race spec car that comes 90% built. My main comment on RTR's is many come with eletronics of the cheapest kind & motors that rarely last long (relative to a NovaRossi or RB level motor). Like others here have said, it's best if you go to where you are going to be racing & see whats up before you spend your moola. Most racers will be happy to give advice (tip: watch & see who's fast before deciding who to talk too.)
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #36
Tech Master

...gotcha Mike...Observation is the key!

Thanks Jaz, I'll definetly keep posting here...Make this my racing log book thread.

I'm excited to get back into rc racing. After the few years I've been away from racing, mostly stunting, and drifting rc's...I'll tell anyone there is NO other form of RC better than racing...I do this to have fun, but I also love the competition atmosphere provided by the racing. I can say that 5 or so years ago, it wasn't this easy to get good information from other enthusiasts.

Last edited by DJ919; 09-10-2008 at 02:09 PM.
DJ919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to shesha

Is second hand out of the question? I know there are some really good deals online, the only thing that might be worth buying is the engine, if everything else works that will get your running ?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #38
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesha View Post
Is second hand out of the question? I know there are some really good deals online, the only thing that might be worth buying is the engine, if everything else works that will get your running ?
Hey Shesha,
Yeah, I've never been too much on used equipment. Not that there's anything wrong with some of the used stuff out there. You can find some really sweet deals. I just prefer to buy new.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to shesha

Another user posted a thread on which buggy believe on this page or the first page, some good replies there.... preference is always something that cannot be handed over to you, you will find something that will catch your eye, maybe the price, maybe the looks maybe the manual..... choose your weapon....
Old 09-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Thats so untrue.

Really? Explain please..
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Now that I re-read his original post, he did not specifically say he did not want a kit, he just mentioned that he didn't want to spend more than $500. so maybe I'll just shut up.
ah no you can keep posting, i have a hard time reading your posts though. seems like my eyes keep looking left when i should be reading whats to the right.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #42
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan42r View Post
ah no you can keep posting, i have a hard time reading your posts though. seems like my eyes keep looking left when i should be reading whats to the right.
Even If I have nothing intelligent to say, I'll still let you see the Hooter!!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #43
Tech Elite

mmmmmmmmmmmmm