R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Outer bearing race slipping in CB

So, I've learned here in the last few weeks that the outer race slipping in the CB can cause major heat build up and blow bearings. The thing is that some of you complain about CB quality and I'm thinking how do you know what you are buying and how many times can you install bearings before the CB is worn? And many of you replace Avid bearings everytime you go racing. Are you using the same bell over and over? And the rest of us never even knew to check this and still probably successfully run CB setups without any worry as long as everything else is healthy. Mine ran fine all summer and I'll bet it was probably slipping - but it didn't have multiple things trying to destroy the CB bearings.
I'm definately going to have this problem the next time I put my CB on. I'm experimenting right now with some loctite to see what that does. I have no reason to believe that the CB is low quality or out of round. I've got a Kyosho MP-6 with the Kyosho CB. I'm not really too excited about ordering CBs until I find one that the bearings fit tight or buying a new stock Kyosho one at what seems like an expensive $29+$8 shipping when that one could be loose too. The newer one I've got, you press the bearing in and turn it upside down and shake it and the bearing falls out in your hand!
I've always had awesome luck with Acer ceramics and have had this older clutch bell last month after month. But my engine bearings are worn and I suspect started burning up my CB bearings as well. Now I am paranoid to put the newer CB back in without some major learning. I'll probably throw out the older CB becuase it has this full season on it and blew 3 sets of bearings before I figured out the engine was the problem and probably has the life vibrated out of it by now. This newer one I'd like to use but, I dunno!
What the heck can I do? I don't want to spend more than I have to, keep throwing good money after bad, etc. Help
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Infiniti Tech Send a message via Yahoo to Infiniti Tech

I tried 5 ofna bells new out of the package with new bearings. Measured the bearings with a micrometer and they were dead on. The outer bearing was loose in all the bells. None of them "snapped" in like I thought they should have. The front bore in the bell was too big. I ran mine like that all year.. No problems tho. I always run the mesh loose. and I'm still running the same bearings and bell that I started out with.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You're over thinking the whole deal. You said you figured out the root of your failure. One would think after you've repaired that issue you should be OK with the clutch bell situation.

I've been told though that it's always a good idea after a weekend of racing to take your clutch bell apart to clean your bearings and inspect the clutch shoes for wear.

Don't let one minor issue nickel and dime you to death, just do your normal maintenance and stay on top of things and you'll be good.
slumlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Infiniti Tech Send a message via Yahoo to Infiniti Tech

Thats why I said "to hell with it" and ran'em. Front bearings wear. Thats a given. You're gonna have to replce them sooner or later. If they feel notchy, throw another one in and drive it.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:43 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess a little knowledge can be dangerous sometimes. Maybe not ideal but should work again like you all say. I was having no trouble previously with CBs and is what my logic was but I'm trying to make things "right."
Oh well, wish me luck!
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Shim the CB and bearing properly.
When you tighten the nut, the CB should have a mesh and able to move back and forth approx 0,5mm to allow the metal to expand when they're hot.

Also just make a habbit to take off the CB to relube the bearings after a day of racing.
Mister-E is offline   Reply With Quote