Engine Mod to increase runtimes??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Mod to increase runtimes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default Engine Mod to increase runtimes??

I have an RB C6 that I am thinking about getting modded to increase the runtimes on it. It has IMO enough power already, but I wonder how much more runtime I could expect to gain.

Can anyone share their experiances?

Maybe Maximo can chime in about this. We are both in Canada, so I may look to send my engine his way.

Thanks Sean
Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Are you using a carb restricter? That can increase run time and calm it down a little too...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Yes I am running the 6.5mm restrictor, and the 2045 pipe. I just want ALL THE RUNTIME I can get.....
Old 09-02-2008, 02:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Have you tried 25% nitro? It can increase runtimes too...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Sounds like you are on the right track by restricting it a little. The biggest thing is engine efficiency. Modding an engine can go both ways. You have your mods which maximize power output but sacrafice run time a little and then you have your runs silky smooth and sips the fuel type mods which sacrafice a little performance but still out performs the stock motor but still manages longer run times than stock. I have done several C6's and get anywhere between 9 and 12 minutes a tank depending on tune, pipe, track size, driving technique etc. There are alot of variables to consider but for the most part, if its tuned decent and you are using a pipe the engine likes, you should squeeze 10 minutes out of those engines without a problem.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savagebeing
I have an RB C6 that I am thinking about getting modded to increase the runtimes on it. It has IMO enough power already, but I wonder how much more runtime I could expect to gain.

Can anyone share their experiances?

Maybe Maximo can chime in about this. We are both in Canada, so I may look to send my engine his way.

Thanks Sean
One often overlooked way to get more runtime is the car itself. I won't comment on the engine since "PowerHouse" already gave you the key to engines.

Balance and free running drivetrain are keys in the car itself. Double check the drivetrain for free operation. You should be able to spin a tire by hand with minimal effort and be rewarded with all four tires spinning freely - that also stay spinning after the force is removed.

Weight reduction of all spinning parts will yield you with longer run times AND more power to the ground. It's win win.

Sorry if this is review for you, but in the world of longer run times, no stone should go unturned.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Engines can be made to make more power as well as be more efficient by improving the engines loop scavenging pattern which results in passing less unburnt fuel out the tuned pipe...2 strokes are very messy and tend to blow a significant amount of unburnt fuel out the tuned pipe...By manipulating the engines port timings and shapes the engine can be made to use its fuel more efficiently...the less fuel you spit out the tuned pipe means the more fuel you can burn without hurting mileage, in fact my most aggressive motors are also my best on fuel.....
Old 09-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by thecman26
Have you tried 25% nitro? It can increase runtimes too...
Are you sure about that ??

More nitro usually need richer setting in order to compensate the excess heat generated from higher nitro content. Higher nitro usually lead to higher operating temperatures. Thus you end up with more unburnt fuel if you want the operating temperatures in check.

On the other side, less nitro content could means leaner setting in order to make up the power lost from lower nitro content. Thus you end up with more mileage.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I got maximo to mod my c6 right out of the box so I didn't know how it was stock, I have seen c6's run before being modded and all I can say is wow I am getting on the average of 9 to 10 mins runtime in my buggy with a jp4 pipe while most .21's at our track are getting 7 to 8 mins on a tank the power curve is real nice and the top end is wild. The first mod he did was not enough bottom end for me and I sent it back to him and he fixed if right up for me now it has tons of bottom end, my c6 was a standard button and I changed it to a turbo button in the last mod he did as recommended by maximo as he tested the motor before he sent it back to me, I am pleased with what I got and the motor is easy to drive
Old 09-03-2008, 01:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Actually less nitro content = more alchohol content = lower running temps = you need to lean it out to maintain same temps... Leaner means longer run times. I have heard from several "Pro" level drivers lil trick to longer run times!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

What engine/pipe combo, that can RACE, get's the best mpg in buggy?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Tech Addict

I do know UndergroundRC has a how-to video on porting your motors. Might want to check that out...
Its under the Tuning section.
http://www.undergroundrc.com/tuning/