Community
Wiki Posts
Search

diff oil...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default diff oil...

ok im guessing its time to change my iff oil after about a month now what should i be running?... how much front/middle/rear? i mainly run at tunder alley and revalation raceway in so cal
Old 09-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

what are you running
buggy, truggy or a Radio Shack? would help if we knew what car your running.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ruggydriver
ok im guessing its time to change my iff oil after about a month now what should i be running?... how much front/middle/rear? i mainly run at tunder alley and revalation raceway in so cal
There are alot of answers to your question. As there are many different weights and combinrations. When you ran what did you feel was missing how did your buggy perform? What do you want to see more of and less of? What brand buggy are you running? Are you a smooth driver or a balls to the wall driver?

A good place to start is 5,5,5 and make adjustment from there.

I run 5F, 7C, 2R but thats for my setup and might not be right for you. Trial and error is usally the only way to determine whats best for you. Now that the season is over would be a great time to experiment.

Thinner front differential oil increases off power steering, but if the oil is too thin the steering will become grabby and inconsistent. Thicker front differential oil increases off power stability and increases on power steering. Thinner center differential has less forward drive, unloads more under acceleration and is easier to drive on rough and slick tracks. Thicker center differential has more acceleration, increases on-power steering, and less off-power steering. Thicker center differential is better on high bite / smooth tracks. Thinner rear differential has more corning traction and increases steering in the middle of the turn. Thicker rear differential has less steering in the middle of the turn and more forward traction.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

im running the new radio shack monster truck where the cord is attatched to the radio and car.... lol no really im running an rc8 and i think ill give 5/5/5 a try because im still racing intermediate. so 5/5/5 should be a good starting point like you said and i can make adjustments from there as i try other setups
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

im running the new radio shack monster truck where the cord is attatched to the radio and car.... lol no really im running an rc8 and i think ill give 5/5/5 a try because im still racing intermediate. so 5/5/5 should be a good starting point like you said and i can make adjustments from there as i try other setups
I know this sounds schoolish but take notes. If you want to get good take notes of what track your at, What the condition of the track was, slick, dusty bumpy. Also note how your buggy performed with the diff oil in at the time. Did it push, pull, poor acceleration etc. You can start to develop a base knowledge for what works and how to compensate through diff set up. Always walk the track your at.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

im running the new radio shack monster truck where the cord is attatched to the radio and car....
I have two of them myself... LOL

5/5/5 is great to start with and recommended, but your best choice IMO would be 7/10/5... makes the rear of the car lighter and lots of power out of the corner. If you find the rear is too lose try 2or3. and the thicker weight up front will help clam down the RC8 notorious over steer.