Wiki Posts
Search

Let's talk drivetrain wear/slop and best buggy to minimize this

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Let's talk drivetrain wear/slop and best buggy to minimize this

I'm into my 4th gallon on my 8ight and I'm experience the typical drivetrain wear and slop. I've replaced quite a few bearings, CVD's, pins and the usual.

Most local guys are getting away from the 8ight for this reason and that it changes setup (ride height) fairly drastically during a race. I may be going down this road as well as result. If I go with a MBX5R will I have to replace these drivetrain items less often? If so, is it simply because the parts used are hardened or of a better quality? It seems all metal drivetrain items would wear at a fairly similar rate? Is the plastic of a much better quality as well? I'm looking for a buggy that doesn't develop the slop in the CVD's, diffs, steering assembly etc. I'm guessing the MBX5R and Kyosho 777 are among the best regarding this?

Thanks again for your advice!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Not going to happen, they all wear out. I have had almost every car and all of them got sloppy in the front, some more or less in the rear. The drive pins wore out on all my cars. The 808 though prob held up the best though in that area, either way though...we are only talking about a few more races that it help up slighty better over my 8ight, mbx5r, rc8 or jammin
Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I have found you need to lube the cvd's and drive cups after every weekend of racing on 1/8. this will give you the max life out of the drive train. But you will wear items on any buggy. Since I lube my 808 drive train so often I do not have very much wear after 2 gallons.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM

The Losi is a car that wears much faster than most other cars. The MBX5R and MP777 will wear much less than the Losi. The losi is not a bad car but the quality is behind Mugen and Kyosho.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Jammin does not wear quick at all. I have a Losi 8T with about 2 gallons on it and it is way loose compared to my Jammin with countless gallons on it. When they start getting sloppy I replace parts. Point is, all of them are going to wear out. Parts are cheaper than kits.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Dodgeguy, what type of lube do you use? A dry lube like O' lube?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The only problems i have had on my 8 buggy are the diff cases, they get alittle of slop that allows the diffs to move back and forth. And the front cvd wears alittle. Im very happy with the buggy as far as it not breaking. Nothing has broke and i dont drive it easy. We have an 808 at our track that looks really solid.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The 8ight is strong and I haven't experienced any problems (knock on wood) due to breaking. This is more directed at slop and parts wearing out quickly. I only club race it usually twice a month and practice once a week. I'm very consistent with lubing all moving parts with O'donnell Lube usually once or twice a session and do a thorough cleaning after every time it's run. (it's an OCD thing I think)

Do you guys use anything like white lithium grease on the CVD's by chance? There's a local guy who runs the new O'donnell buggy and it seems very tight after 2-3 gallons. Quite a few are running the Jammin buggies also, time will tell how quickly they wear.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

XRAY XB808 ROCK SOLID!! nuff said!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Both the Kyosho and Mugen have better wear then the Losi. The Jammin is also very good. The parts are usually more, but take into account they last longer, you spend less time replacing worn parts out.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Yep +3 on the Xray XB808, its held up better than anything I've owned! By Far!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
I have found you need to lube the cvd's and drive cups after every weekend of racing on 1/8. this will give you the max life out of the drive train. But you will wear items on any buggy. Since I lube my 808 drive train so often I do not have very much wear after 2 gallons.
That's the answer right there. Lube your buggy.

Have 3 gallons on my 8ight. Hardly any wear. I was expecting to be replacing front shafts and bearings all the time considering all I've read. I have yet to wear out anything except a set of clutch shoes.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cannondale1974
Most local guys are getting away from the 8ight for this reason and that it changes setup (ride height) fairly drastically during a race.
Just re-read this... Huh!? How does it change it's setup?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Tech Regular

In terms of wear the Mugen is like a tank. I could easily drive a whole season's races without worrying about serious wear in all the metal parts. Outstanding quality.
I'm running an RC8 right now, which is not bad at all, but no way a Mugen - quality-wise.
I can't wait to get my hands on the MBX-6...
Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cannondale1974

Most local guys are getting away from the 8ight for this reason and that it changes setup (ride height) fairly drastically during a race.

Sure that's not the shock oils heating up and getting softer?

Iit's generally worth refreshing shock oils before a 15 minute plus final and go up in weight dependent on the weather and finals length.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.