R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #16
Tech Addict

for quality i would have to say Mugen / Xray, i have the BCE extended chassis on my 5R and have had to use the 8T front CVD and have to say the wear is quite poor compared to what im used to with the Mugen CVD, all i can add is my mugen CVD's are 4+ years old and apart from replacing pins both ends now and then and the barrel part the rest are original and still good, all parts will wear some faster than others and the occasional rebuild re-lube will help
a win on the lottery :D
slow coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The Losi's get loose in the steering because of the ackerman bushings. If you replace those often, it will stay much tighter up front. I have the new King Headz ackerman arm with brass bushing that's going in this week. I'll let you know how they work out. The problem with Losi ride height can also be traced back to the plastic shock spring retainer cup. It will spread open and slide over the notch in the shaft shaft eyelet. I was told about this a few weeks ago and checked my truck and buggy and noticed it had happened to me. It will effectly lessen the preload on the springs when this happens. I'm tearing both my truggy and buggy down now and there isn't much wrong I can find other than the ackerman arm and some bearings. I have the Losi HD diffs and rear aluminum diff cup inserts and there isn't any issues with mine. You can pick on the Losi for the sloppiness all you want, but there isn't a better handling buggy or truck on the market, even with the sloppiness. Everybody still takes aim at the Losi benchmark when they are building their newest vehicle. The only other buggy I would consider buying would be the Xray because it's pretty close to the Losi. The parts are so cheap and readily available, you can always repair any slop for way less than a new buggy would cost.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneytune View Post
The Losi's get loose in the steering because of the ackerman bushings. If you replace those often, it will stay much tighter up front. I have the new King Headz ackerman arm with brass bushing that's going in this week. I'll let you know how they work out. The problem with Losi ride height can also be traced back to the plastic shock spring retainer cup. It will spread open and slide over the notch in the shaft shaft eyelet. I was told about this a few weeks ago and checked my truck and buggy and noticed it had happened to me. It will effectly lessen the preload on the springs when this happens. I'm tearing both my truggy and buggy down now and there isn't much wrong I can find other than the ackerman arm and some bearings. I have the Losi HD diffs and rear aluminum diff cup inserts and there isn't any issues with mine. You can pick on the Losi for the sloppiness all you want, but there isn't a better handling buggy or truck on the market, even with the sloppiness. Everybody still takes aim at the Losi benchmark when they are building their newest vehicle. The only other buggy I would consider buying would be the Xray because it's pretty close to the Losi. The parts are so cheap and readily available, you can always repair any slop for way less than a new buggy would cost.
sounds like a lot of add ons to make it reliable and not wear out, no ones knocking the Losi handling sloppy or not the poster asked about another buggy which might last longer in the wear department, i think the losi is a great buggy and if it wasnt for the way the mugen stays together i may well of got a losi by now as TBH it would make sense as most of the racers i travel to races with run them which makes more sense spares wise but then again i have run the 5R for about a year without spares and been ok so far (touches wood)
Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWright View Post
Sure that's not the shock oils heating up and getting softer?

Iit's generally worth refreshing shock oils before a 15 minute plus final and go up in weight dependent on the weather and finals length.
Could be, all I know is some complained that after a qualifying run or Main the car would be sitting 5mm lower and this didn't occur quite as bad on his 777.

Just curious, does anyone run Kyosho big bores on the 8ight if the Losi shocks have this sagging problem?
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfiend View Post
That's the answer right there. Lube your buggy.

Have 3 gallons on my 8ight. Hardly any wear. I was expecting to be replacing front shafts and bearings all the time considering all I've read. I have yet to wear out anything except a set of clutch shoes.
Just curious, what specifically do you use for lube and what parts do you lube as well? Are you using lithium grease or something like O'Lube?

I use a combination of both, I've literally gone through 3 bottles of O'Lube in about 3 gallons and I've seen significant wear in the drive cups, CVD's, axles and diff cases of my 8ight.
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale1974 View Post
Just curious, what specifically do you use for lube and what parts do you lube as well? Are you using lithium grease or something like O'Lube?

I use a combination of both, I've literally gone through 3 bottles of O'Lube in about 3 gallons and I've seen significant wear in the drive cups, CVD's, axles and diff cases of my 8ight.
All the suspension and steering pivots get Militec-1 conditioner. This stuff is amazing. If you're into guns really heavy, you may have heard of it. Apply a drop on every pivot point, then heat all the surfaces up with a blow dryer or heat gun until it's toasty. It'll dry on the surface but soak into the plastic and metal. Makes everything silky. Doesn't attract dirt either.

All bearings get Militec-1 grease. I now have 3 gallons on all the bearings, including the clutch bearings. They are silky smooth.

I also use the grease on the ackerman bushings. They haven't shown wear as of yet.

This season I've used about .25 oz of grease and .25 oz of the oil/conditioner. The grease will attract dirt, but the oil won't. I even treated my engine with militec, but can't honestly say if it made a difference.
boostfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:03 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale1974 View Post

steer clear of white lithium grease it will be a grinding paste after one heat, i have yet to find the best compromise but at present im using cycle lube designed for chain and other metal metal contacts, it applies wet then dries off then as its used it has a wax barrier which lets go to leave a clean layer below, the lube is designed to be reapplied frequently but the downside is it dries slow but i would guess ok for bigger races, i cant remember what its called at the moment ill check after
Old 09-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Due to absolute boredom I decided to try something out which I read in an article about 10 years ago. It's a quick fix to reduce slop in plastic parts, in this case, it was my front upper arm. After disassembly, I;

1.Cleaned the hole by pushing in a Q-Tip and pull it out.
2.Polished the hinge pin (I used Autosol) by installing it in a cordless drill, and spun it against a cloth until it was shiny enough...
3.Coated the hinge pin with after run oil (I used my fingers)
4. Fill the hole with a drop (or two) of CA, and quickly insert the hinge pin
5. Cleaned off excessive CA at both ends, and left it for 5 mins
6. Attached the hinge pin (with the stuck upper arm) to the cordless drill, and pulled the trigger to set it free
7. Pulled out the hinge pin (still attached to the cordless drill), sprayed WD40 on it, re-insert into the hole, and spun it again.
8. Spun the hinge pin until it felt 'free'
9. Reinstalled
10. Calculated how much I saved from getting new upper arms

Oh wait are you guys are strictly talking about drivetrain? The only thing I can think of is to shim the diffs correctly. As for the CVDs....I have no idea. I don't mind replacing them though. But don't ever ever get them wet when they're dirty (be it any kind of lubricant), dirt will just get deeper into the gaps
Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow coach View Post
sounds like a lot of add ons to make it reliable and not wear out, no ones knocking the Losi handling sloppy or not the poster asked about another buggy which might last longer in the wear department, i think the losi is a great buggy and if it wasnt for the way the mugen stays together i may well of got a losi by now as TBH it would make sense as most of the racers i travel to races with run them which makes more sense spares wise but then again i have run the 5R for about a year without spares and been ok so far (touches wood)
im touching wood right now too.